Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Options after my Masters
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here so be gentle on your responses Smile.

Basically, I am looking for options after my Masters degree that pertain to education. I am in the process of finally getting in the field I wish so I am not interested in employment options- only education options.

My original goal up until this semester of my Masters I wanted to earn either a Doctorate or a PhD. The discussion of a doctorate not having a dissertation seems ignorant with a bit of research. Every doctorate program I came accross (online) requires a dissertation just like a PhD. This semester hit me hard with the reality of how much I stress over school. I want a family and personally do not think it is right to bring a baby and a new wife into a grumpy, moody, stressful life of a PhD student. Maybe yours was easy but like I said I have stressed alot.

Overall, the research and writing part I like but the time doing nothing BUT that is getting old and burning me out. I no longer want to do a PhD or Doctorate because of the long dissertation work (plus the money aspect as I am not funded). Northcentral claims my tuition will be about 40,000 but I expect more than that based on its reviews.

So what are my options after I get my Masters? Is there anything I am missing here? Any degrees that are higher but do not require a dissertation or multiple research papers (that will consume me)?

Just to give a quick overview I had recently thought of the EJD from concord (my BS and Masters is in Criminal Justice) or possibly going back to get another Masters, or even attend a UK law school to get a LLB then go straight to the LLM which is only a year.

Policing will be my profession but I do not want to stop learning. I want to continue my education. I want the EJD or LLb simply because they are law related. I understand neither will allow me to practice law but remember my profession is policing...

What do you think? Are there any other options that might fit my "profile"? What do you think about getting a second Masters?

I appreciate your responses!
Ed.S is an education degree that is halfway between a master's and an Ed.D. It does not require a dissertation. There are professional degrees that do not require a dissertation such as a JD, MD, DNP (nursing), PharmD, DPT (physical therapy), etc. I think there are a couple of PsyD programs that have a major research project instead of a dissertation, but they aren't online. The doctor of health science degree from AT Still went from having no dissertation, to having a dissertation, to now having a major research project. I think Texas A&M has an Ed.D that requires a project in place of a dissertation. The health science degree at Nova Southeastern has a research project, but you have to have a medical background to get in. The Doctor of Behavioral Science at Arizona State University is online and has a research project. However, until they come out with their management track, you have to have a master's level clinician license in order to be admitted. I believe that some of Colorado Technical University's programs allow you to write 3 publishable papers in place of a dissertation.

I think I'm missing something. As you can see, I've researched this topic very thoroughly. :p Oh! Valdosta State University's DPA program has a final project and you can create concentrations such as social work and criminal justice.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Thank you for the response! My research produced much of the same results. I have to throw out the MD and JD and all of the PsY that need special clinician degrees to enter the program. Do certificates hold significance in the world of academia? The post-graduate certificates?

What does everyone think about the eJD?

I need to research that education degree you mentioned! That sounds like a good one.
JD sounds like the best option to me. Colleges tend to be in love with the concept of a Lawyer teaching in their CJ programs...but that comes strictly from my limited personal experience.

I would encourage you to check out this group of learners... DegreeInfo Distance Learning - online degree forum IC is the best at methods for earning the BS/BA. this other group tends to focus on post baccalaureate education and there are several that have considered your path.

Best,
Mike
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
JD/LL.B seems like a good idea to me too. There are some universities which offer distance LL.M programmes for non-lawyers too, if you're interested in a particular area of law. I mean, CJ is great for policing but as someone who has worked in a policing-related profession before I agree with you that studying law from a broader perspective will serve you well, probably more so than a doctorate in CJ as far as the world outside academia is concerned. Have you seen if there are any part-time JD programmes available in your area? I'm inclined to believe that a part-time JD from a local school will probably hold more weight than a JD from a for-profit school. (IANAL but I think we all know there's a certain degree of contempt towards online/for-profit education in the US legal profession)

I'm surprised nobody suggested an MPA programme yet. There's many distance ed options out there and considering you're in the public sector it could be a great asset for both your career and educational goals.
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

As was mentioned above, a part-time JD would be better. I'm not sure how far you can get in academia with an EJD, especially if it's not from an ABA-accredited school and you're not licensed to practice. But if all you want is to further your education, I guess it would be okay.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
If you want to be an educator, and I assume in the field of policing, have you checked with local colleges and universities to determine which degrees will allow you to teach?
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
The local colleges are vague in their requirements to teach. The universities only accept PhDs but the local colleges require anything above a Bachelor's degree and some field experience.

I was looking at a Masters in Legal Studies but then I thought about being more specific for a Masters in Criminal law. Does that exist online? It does not need to be ABA accredited just regionally accredited.
Rest...that's a good option after Masters lol
Earlier I meant to say A.T. Still's Health Education program, not Health Science.

I haven't seen any criminal law programs, only legal studies. The more focused master's degrees tend to be in environmental law, health law, and tax law. You might find this interesting.

Master of Science in Legal Studies: Criminal Justice Curriculum : CAL U - California University of Pennsylvania
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Futurelearn has BA degrees in Marketing & Design for 13k USD. Masters for 7k USD. nyvrem 1 300 02-16-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Tuition Payment Options lidel 0 315 11-09-2023, 08:51 AM
Last Post: lidel
  2023-2024 Pell Grant Max: $7395 (Options to use this) bjcheung77 8 1,542 07-31-2023, 10:53 AM
  Masters in Public Admin Mike Williams 11 1,850 06-17-2023, 12:18 PM
Last Post: teejayb
  JD & Masters History - 22 year old bjcheung77 0 477 04-24-2023, 12:13 PM
  UMPI & Masters Degree midnite123 9 1,851 11-10-2022, 06:04 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  BYU Pathway Worldwide - Ensign College (BYU-I Partnership Undergrad Options) bjcheung77 2 1,094 08-29-2022, 01:10 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Pathophysiology options? allvia 12 1,933 08-24-2022, 07:40 AM
Last Post: allvia
  Biochemistry options? allvia 13 1,890 05-13-2022, 04:17 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Easiest math general education options? Math avoidant 5 2,164 05-07-2022, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Math avoidant