Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PLA - Autodidact?
Has anybody done prior learning assessment and been given credit where the learning solely came through self-instruction?
I did quite a bit of PLA, and almost none of it involved formal instruction. However, I did not attempt to just study on my own and write a portfolio. They were all things that I had professional experience in. What were you thinking of trying to PLA? Check the PLA tips link in my sig for more info on the PLA process.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Hi!

I *think* I did. The trick with TESU at the time I was earning my degree was being able to answer this question: 'Is it equivalent to what a student would have gotten if they had taken the course?'

I went way overboard, in my opinion. But I don't like failing. Easiest trick is to get the schools' syllabus on the topic, and pretend they are asking you each bullet point. You respond with a fat variety of things; essay of your journey, pictures of you doing it, letters from someone that saw you figure it out, or knows you can do it, lists of books and articles and youtube that you used to teach you what you learned, examples of you being able to do the terminal objectives of the course, stuff like that.
Don't make it like a rats' nest of receipts and scribbles for a tax guy. Make it flow so that a disinterested person could follow your portfolio and say, yeah, they don't need to take that course.
Be prepared to defend your position, and be aware that they make check the things you offer as proof for authenticity.

It's not impossible, but if you know your stuff, it should be doable.
Best wishes on your journey; this place is the best resource on the planet for finding the path; the steps are all up to you!
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link