Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Passed Saylor CS402: Computer Communications and Networks on second attempt
There are many posts about the Saylor CS402: Computer Communications and Networks course and the inaccuracies in the direct credit final. The main issues I found were:
  1. Questions with demonstrably wrong "correct" answer. 
  2. Vaguely worded questions with no correct answers.
  3. Questions that were not covered anywhere in the material.
It really seems like it's written by someone who didn't understand the topic that pulled questions from a wikipedia page, and then tried to change the wording a little but ended up changing the meaning without realizing. The course also covered some really obscure protocols and skipped over more widely used ones. Overall, it doesn't do a very good job teaching the networking that IT professionals need to know, and would be confusing if you're learning since they contradict the material with wrong answers, but it's still a cheap option if you already know networking and can manage to pass the final.

After failing the first time, I submitted the errors with screenshots and references, and they said they'd have it verified and update if needed. I took the test again last night and passed (barely). I was kind of expecting to get the exact same test, so I had made flashcards from the previous direct credit final and practiced those, but they were all new questions. There were still some questions that were vaguely worded or didn't have any correct answer.

I'm glad I passed, and I'll take the credit, but I think it would make so much more sense for places like TESU to take legitimate IT certs like network+ instead of this. It's kind of crazy that TESU will only accept certs acquired within the last year or two when those tests are updated constantly and this one has material nearly a decade old. My Network+ from 2015 is miles ahead of this course. Another issue I ran into was a lot of the units were just links to Wikipedia page articles that had been revised so they didn't contain what they were supposed to. They could probably repost the material instead of linking to Wikipedia, and then periodically review and update. There were around 10 questions from the first test that were strangely specific but I could not find anywhere in any of the material after scouring it for hours. I'm filling out the course survey and I hope anyone else that takes these will do the same. I love what Saylor's trying to do, but the execution here left a lot to be desired.

One last note, I'm starting BUS303: Strategic Information Technology now. It has better sources so far, but one common thread I've noticed is that the material is so broad and disjointed. It's pulling from 5 or 6 books on similar topics and you read a chapter here and there. It'd be easier for me to pull these concepts together and learn if they focused the majority of information on one good textbook and added supplementary material occasionally. I'm hoping I can muster up 70% on the final for this one Sunday. Only 18 credits left.
TESU BSBA CIS - March 2019
Clep: College Algebra, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, History of U.S. I, History of U.S. II, Principles of Management, Introductory Sociology, College Composition, American Government, Financial Accounting, Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Marketing, Information Systems, Introductory Business Law, Introductory Psychology, Western Civilization I, Spanish Language, Biology, Social Science and History, Precalculus, Calculus
Study.com: FIN-102 Personal Finance, FIN-101 Principles of Finance, ACC-102 Managerial Accounting, BUS-308 Globalization and International Management, CS-302 Systems Analysis and Design, CS-303 Database Management, COM-120 Presentation Skills in the Workplace, BUS-113 Business Communication, STAT-101 Principles of Statistics
OnlineDegree.com: Computer Science CS101
Saylor.org: CS402, BUS303, CS302
Certs: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, MCSA, LPIC-1, CCNA
TESU: BUS-421 Business Administration Capstone
[-] The following 2 users Like camjenks's post:
  • jch, Muldoon
Good Job! That's awesome you passed. BTW, both of those courses will come into TESU as LL. What do you have left to take? That's 6 courses for the BSBA CIS left. Are you going for an IT degree afterward? I noticed you have the Stackable Certs from CompTIA and other certs, they'll be perfect for a BSIT degree at WGU.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • akr680
(11-16-2018, 01:13 PM)camjenks Wrote: I love what Saylor's trying to do, but the execution here left a lot to be desired.

One last note, I'm starting BUS303: Strategic Information Technology now. It has better sources so far, but one common thread I've noticed is that the material is so broad and disjointed. It's pulling from 5 or 6 books on similar topics and you read a chapter here and there. It'd be easier for me to pull these concepts together and learn if they focused the majority of information on one good textbook and added supplementary material occasionally.

I think in this case, you get what you pay for.  I have not ever been impressed by Saylor, and I've tried out a lot of courses.  It's just painful.  My only advice is to take the tests that you think you can pass without having to study - it may be worth throwing $25 down the drain if you don't pass, and well worth it if you do.  Use other materials to study for the exams if you need to.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
There's a TECEP for networking. After failing two Saylor tests, I decided to spend more money on CSU Global CBEs. CSU Global's study materials are well-organized, and the exams are straight forward.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • alab21
(11-16-2018, 01:33 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Good Job!  That's awesome you passed.  BTW, both of those courses will come into TESU as LL.  What do you have left to take? That's 6 courses for the BSBA CIS left.  Are you going for an IT degree afterward?  I noticed you have the Stackable Certs from CompTIA and other certs, they'll be perfect for a BSIT degree at WGU.

All the Saylor ones I'm doing are showing up that they come in as 300 level, but I've had them planned for a while. I'm also planning CS302: Software Engineering. I took System Analysis and Design at Study.com, and I'm hoping there's a lot of overlap.
Clep: College Algebra, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, History of U.S. I, History of U.S. II, Principles of Management, Introductory Sociology, College Composition, American Government, Financial Accounting, Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Marketing, Information Systems, Introductory Business Law, Introductory Psychology, Western Civilization I, Spanish Language, Biology, Social Science and History, Precalculus, Calculus
Study.com: FIN-102 Personal Finance, FIN-101 Principles of Finance, ACC-102 Managerial Accounting, BUS-308 Globalization and International Management, CS-302 Systems Analysis and Design, CS-303 Database Management, COM-120 Presentation Skills in the Workplace, BUS-113 Business Communication, STAT-101 Principles of Statistics
(11-16-2018, 04:57 PM)camjenks Wrote:
(11-16-2018, 01:33 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Good Job!  That's awesome you passed.  BTW, both of those courses will come into TESU as LL.  What do you have left to take? That's 6 courses for the BSBA CIS left.  Are you going for an IT degree afterward?  I noticed you have the Stackable Certs from CompTIA and other certs, they'll be perfect for a BSIT degree at WGU.

All the Saylor ones I'm doing are showing up that they come in as 300 level, but I've had them planned for a while. I'm also planning CS302: Software Engineering. I took System Analysis and Design at Study.com, and I'm hoping there's a lot of overlap.

Did tesu plan them that way?
Also, let us know how the software engineering goes.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
I'm glad you got credit for this. I've taken other Saylors and felt they were fine. This one is terrible.

I hope Saylor Software Engineering works out for me.

I updated on my CS thread about how I felt from the Software Engineering practice exam. Your input would be great when you get into the practice questions. Do you have prior experience with SE?

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • camjenks
(12-22-2018, 04:22 PM)Ideas Wrote: IdeasI updated on my CS thread about how I felt from the Software Engineering practice exam. Your input would be great when you get into the practice questions. Do you have prior experience with SE?

Only from what I've taken in courses like Study.com System Analysis and Design. That one touches on some of the same topics, but Saylor SE goes more in depth. I spent three weeks studying all the material, taking practice exams, and then failed the direct credit final by one question. I took it again and failed again. I might try one more time, but it's pretty much a lost cause for me. I'm planning to take a study.com one if I fail the third time and it will just be a wasted $75.00. Maybe if you're already an expert in the field it'd be worth it. The problem is there's so much material and the questions are not testing your understanding of the topic; they're mostly pulled word for word from a random sentence out of the hundreds of pages and hours of videos in the material. Plus, some of the sources provide different definitions/explanations. It's very frustrating. 

As an example, a question might be 'what's a major aspect of object-oriented programming?'. And the options include encapsulation, inheritance, and two other choices. Now I would read that and think 'hmm, two of those options are very good answers', so let's say I just pick inheritance as a guess, and I get it wrong. Then when I'm reviewing the material to figure out why I got it wrong, I find the part of the textbook that discusses Object-oriented programming and find a sentence that says 'Another major aspect of object-oriented programming is encapsulation'. Well, there it is in the study material almost word for word. This is obviously where they pulled that question from. But the paragraph immediately before that starts: ‘There are 2 important properties in object oriented programming. The first is inheritance…’ and continues with a discussion of inheritance. And then the part about encapsulation shows up after that. Well I knew that both of those were good answers. I knew the material. But I didn’t remember that the text said word for word that encapsulation is a major aspect of object oriented programming, so I got it wrong. This is an example because I don’t want to give stuff away, but those are the kinds of things that have gotten me on Saylor's tests. 

I’ve taken mostly Clep (Modern States), Study.com, and now onlinedegree.com. I’ll praise all of those up and down. The all have good courses and bad, pros and cons, but they’re great. I cannot recommend Saylor.org at all. I advice everyone to stay away from their CS courses and spare yourself the frustration. Do it somewhere else and you’ll learn more and be happier, even if you pay a little more.
(12-24-2018, 09:37 PM)camjenks Wrote: I’ve taken mostly Clep (Modern States), Study.com, and now onlinedegree.com. I’ll praise all of those up and down. The all have good courses and bad, pros and cons, but they’re great. I cannot recommend Saylor.org at all. I advice everyone to stay away from their CS courses and spare yourself the frustration. Do it somewhere else and you’ll learn more and be happier, even if you pay a little more.

Thanks!

I agree. I have found some Study.com questions that seemed wrong or confusing, but it's a minority of questions. I also think they're more careful with their actual exam questions. With Saylor it's so upsetting.

I replied more in my thread.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Speedrunning SDC Data Structures and Computer Architecture advice? Randyb100 15 773 04-09-2024, 06:36 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 440 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  SDC or Sophia - Managerial Communications Dosada 2 446 11-21-2023, 01:09 PM
  Send Saylor credit to credly vetvso 4 1,583 09-09-2023, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Saylor BIO101 Notes Request axelblaze77 5 575 08-24-2023, 12:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Degrees available with Saylor Academy and OnlineDegree cvalor 21 3,404 07-03-2023, 02:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Saylor Vent Lima845 4 886 06-21-2023, 10:56 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Saylor Academy is very slow Leo Wu 2 1,188 06-11-2023, 08:10 PM
  Computer Architecture Questions ACI 4 886 03-18-2023, 02:02 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  SDC Communications 120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace busybee45 26 4,160 01-19-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15