Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
U.S. Congress Passes a TikTok Ban Bill Which Sets Americans on Course for Civil War
(03-19-2024, 11:46 AM)Charles Fout Wrote: I accept your premise. the CHICOMs are awful, but should we restrict the rights of Americans over  a totalitarian regime's atrocities?

It is not about restricting American's rights it is about whether the federal government has the power to allow foreign companies to operate in the United States or not.

(03-20-2024, 03:04 AM)LevelUP Wrote: Civil War is coming if this bill makes it through the Senate

Really? Since when did American's fight for the Chinese Communist Party?
Trump wanted a TikTok ban during his administration. What caused him to flip? Is he being contrarian, or is he desperate for money?

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/03/14...s-00146892
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
"Going to war" over being unable to use one specific app to post silly videos is such a snowflake thing to do. There are soooo many other social media platforms that can be used without involving hostile foreign governments.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Ares
Ares Wrote:It has everything to do with whether a foreign company is allowed to operate in the United States.

If a foreign company created an app that allowed you access to U.S. nuclear launch codes would it be your constitution right to have access to it?

so it would be ok if the company wasn't foreign ?? LOL
as I said, where a company is located has NOTHING to do with it
foreign or domestic, that would be a violation of national security -- being a foreign has nothing to do with it

LOL @ protecting 23andme
23andme hacked
https://arstechnica.com/security/2023/10...ing-spree/

"The posts claimed that 23andMe’s CEO was aware the company had been 'hacked' two months earlier and never revealed the incident.
The data included profile and account ID numbers, display names, gender, birth year, maternal and paternal haplogroups, ancestral heritage results, and data on whether or not each user has opted in to 23andme’s health data. Some of this data is included only when users choose to share it.
The Record also reported that the 23andMe website allows people who know the profile ID of a user to view that user’s profile photo, name, birth year, and location."

they were hacked, the ceo knew they were hacked and said nothing
and now the ceo blames it on users for not maintaining strong passwords LOL

ooh, but they're an American company -- so you're data is safe because they PROMISE it is

Quote:powering off your phone is easy.
the NSA and FBI can track phones even if they're off using malware
https://techpp.com/2013/08/22/track-phone-turned-off/
but even if the malware isn't installed you eventually have to turn the phone back on and then your location is known

Quote:I don't use the NYC subway or any public transportation
good for you
people who live in NYC don't have that option
nobody is going to walk 2 miles in the rain or in mid-winter to get to work
and the MTA is an AMERICAN company that operates the nyc public transit system and the can track you

Quote:Only if you are dumb enough to allow it and buy a car that is able to do this.
just about every new car allows this and those that don't will have the capability in the future
they will because car companies have incentive to do so -- they profit off of it -- that is capitalism -- capitalism is good, but this is one if the downsides
and as for "being dumb enough to allow it" -- how many people even know its happening ?

Quote:That is the entire point.
LOL, not its not

the whole point is my original assertion that being a foreign company has nothing to do with privacy
American companies will screw you over if there is a monetary incentive to do so
being foreign or domestic has nothing to do with it

and if you think your information is safe just because you're dealing with an american company then you don't understand capitalism and the willingness of companies to make a profit by selling your data

Quote:[b]Do you have a constitutional right to access a black market dark website in Eastern Europe that sells credit card numbers of U.S. Citizens?[
so you're asking if someone has the constitutional right to do something illegal ?
and what does it matter that its in Eastern Europe ???
what difference would it make if it was in Russia or California or Mississippi ?

it does NOT matter if it is a foreign country

Quote:It is not about restricting American's rights it is about whether the federal government has the power to allow foreign companies to operate in the United States or not.
it is exactly about restricting american's rights
the us government is only upset that they are not the ones collecting the data

Authorities reportedly ordered Google to reveal the identities of some YouTube videos' viewers
https://www.engadget.com/authorities-rep...18019.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/privacy/comment...d_certain/

and this was sealed, so how many unsealed requests do we not know about
(03-23-2024, 02:01 PM)bluebooger Wrote: so it would be ok if the company wasn't foreign ??  LOL
as I said, where a company is located has NOTHING to do with it
foreign or domestic, that would be a violation of national security -- being a foreign has nothing to do with it

The U.S Constitution and First Amendment does not apply to companies operating outside U.S. borders.

(03-23-2024, 02:01 PM)bluebooger Wrote: LOL @ protecting 23andme
23andme hacked

"The posts claimed that 23andMe’s CEO was aware the company had been 'hacked' two months earlier and never revealed the incident.
The data included profile and account ID numbers, display names, gender, birth year, maternal and paternal haplogroups, ancestral heritage results, and data on whether or not each user has opted in to 23andme’s health data. Some of this data is included only when users choose to share it. The Record also reported that the 23andMe website allows people who know the profile ID of a user to view that user’s profile photo, name, birth year, and location."

they were hacked, the ceo knew they were hacked and said nothing
and now the ceo blames it on users for not maintaining strong passwords LOL

ooh, but they're an American company -- so you're data is safe because they PROMISE it is

So you know nothing about cybersecurity or this incident? Why am I not surprised. 23andMe was never "hacked' in the traditional sense. Nothing about their platform was compromised through a security loophole. The "hackers" acquired user password off other websites and used those exact same passwords to breach 14,000 accounts of computer illiterate users out of 23andMe's 14 million customers. It is 100% those users fault, they were stupid enough to use the same passwords on multiple websites. Now I am forced to unnecessarily use 2 factor authentication due to the incompetence of a small minority of people who have no business using a computer.

I have a 23andMe account, and because I use unique and strong passwords my account was never compromised. I also never uploaded a profile photo, entered in a birth year or location. All of that is optional.

23andMe has resisted all law enforcement requests of user data and posts this information online in their Transparency Report.

(03-23-2024, 02:01 PM)bluebooger Wrote: the NSA and FBI can track phones even if they're off using malware
https://techpp.com/2013/08/22/track-phone-turned-off/
but even if the malware isn't installed you eventually have to turn the phone back on and then your location is known

Don't install malware on your phone and if GPS is turned off your location is not precise. Also you can block even NSA malware by simply using a Faraday bag for your phone when it is turned off.

(03-23-2024, 02:01 PM)bluebooger Wrote: and the MTA is an AMERICAN company that operates the nyc public transit system and the can track you

Only because you let them.

(03-23-2024, 02:01 PM)bluebooger Wrote: just about every new car allows this and those that don't will have the capability in the future they will because car companies have incentive to do so -- they profit off of it  -- that is capitalism -- capitalism is good, but this is one if the downsides and as for "being dumb enough to allow it" -- how many people even know its happening ?

No every new car does not have this capability. This is why you need to research things before you purchase them.

(03-23-2024, 02:01 PM)bluebooger Wrote: the whole point is my original assertion that being a foreign company has nothing to do with privacy
American companies will screw you over if there is a monetary incentive to do so
being foreign or domestic has nothing to do with it

and if you think your information is safe just because you're dealing with an american company then you don't understand capitalism and the willingness of companies to make a profit by selling your data

At least with American Companies you have constitutional protections but that does not absolve you of your due dilligence.

(03-23-2024, 02:01 PM)bluebooger Wrote: it is exactly about restricting american's rights
the us government is only upset that they are not the ones collecting the data

Authorities reportedly ordered Google to reveal the identities of some YouTube videos' viewers
https://www.engadget.com/authorities-rep...18019.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/privacy/comment...d_certain/

and this was sealed, so how many unsealed requests do we not know about

Anything can be spoofed including IP addresses and phone numbers. How do authorities know who exactly is viewing something over a WiFi connection attached to a specific IP? VPNs and browsers like TOR can offer additional layers of privacy when browsing online.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  U.S. Civil War in 2024 LevelUP 30 2,189 11 hours ago
Last Post: bluebooger
  New Rule: Whoa, Canada | Real Time with Bill Maher LevelUP 3 136 04-14-2024, 10:56 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Israel Attack Ignites Civil War Inside Both Political Parties LevelUP 17 2,029 01-03-2024, 06:58 PM
  AI's take on how Europeans perceive Americans LevelUP 0 231 12-22-2023, 10:54 AM
  UFO hearings in congress. UFO whistleblower: 'Non-human' biologics discovered LevelUP 7 845 10-09-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TikTok Alpha 8 830 10-23-2022, 04:07 PM
Last Post: inf
  3 Reasons Why Americans Leave California (And Where They Go..) Kal Di 5 824 06-28-2022, 12:22 AM
Last Post: Kal Di
  Why African Americans Prefer Life in Africa Kal Di 18 1,550 05-19-2022, 08:06 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  Bill & Melinda Gates divorce... bjcheung77 9 1,284 05-09-2021, 01:24 PM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  These Americans fled the country to escape their giant student debt bluebooger 18 3,015 06-26-2019, 02:43 PM
Last Post: natshar