Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PhD or DBA, No GRE/GMAT
@ Sagan

Going to apologize if this sounds combative, not my intention, but to answer your reply I may have to sound like it.

First, the entrance exam is not a small step. I oversee physical and military training for myself and over 60 individuals. Anytime I have to dedicate to schooling I would prefer to dedicate to the actual courses.

Second, while I did not mention it completely before. As I stated before, I partly owe my success in obtaining my Bachelor's and MBA to people like Sanantone and DFRECORE. Therefore, as you might had guessed it, I tested out of my Bachelor's and used a competency program for my MBA. My academic record in some people's eyes may look good, in others it is confusing. Furthermore, I mentioned my work history to expand the recommendations that people were giving me. I can show at least three years of management experience but it is military. I have spoken with some Universities, and they are iffy about accepting it. Some will not consider it as management experience, most will not accept it as business experience. This means in the eyes of some universities I lack a good educational background and work experience. A double tap, academically speaking.

For third, please see first and second.

As for Capella and Walden, well, I did not make any actual comments about them. I genuinely tried to preserve distance. Nevertheless, I stand by my decision to omit them from my decision process. Also please see Sanantone's post.

Lastly, I appreciate this board because the people here are mostly non-combative and helpful. This board is for nontraditional schooling, and my route has been nontraditional. Because of that, I stay away from combative boards that preach traditional schooling methods. As mentioned before, I am a long time lurker and first time poster.

Thank you.

@ Sanantone

I have been speaking with one of the universities mentioned here, Cumberlands. I admit that I do not understand how accreditation works. The university in question lacks programmatic accreditation for the program but it is regionally accredited. Is it possible for a program to not fall under the university's regional accreditation?

An updated list, please critique:

Argosy University
Baker College
Franklin University
Liberty University
University of the Cumberlands
University of South Alabama

South Alabama is probably the most prestigious. However, I may not be able to fulfill their 5 year business experience requirement. I plan to contact them and see what they say.

For my second choice, it remains a draw between Argosy, Liberty and Cumberlands. Please critique them, if you have any experience with them.

Kennesaw looked promising but I am guessing their program changed. As I was told it is no longer an online program but a full residency program.
It would seem the Walden case has not moved much (or at all) in the last year. Nor does it appear to have been certified as a class-action. ON the other hand, it has not been dismissed, either. Still, it would behoove potential students considering Walden to consider the complaint and it possible merits. Bear in mind, however, that a complaint may not necessarily be upheld.
(12-19-2017, 11:20 PM)Sagan Wrote: It would seem the Walden case has not moved much (or at all) in the last year. Nor does it appear to have been certified as a class-action. ON the other hand, it has not been dismissed, either. Still, it would behoove potential students considering Walden to consider the complaint and it possible merits. Bear in mind, however, that a complaint may not necessarily be upheld.

The lawsuit may not go anywhere, but the turnover of faculty is something to consider when pursuing a doctorate.

(12-19-2017, 10:54 PM)shawn Wrote: @ Sagan

Going to apologize if this sounds combative, not my intention, but to answer your reply I may have to sound like it.

First, the entrance exam is not a small step. I oversee physical and military training for myself and over 60 individuals. Anytime I have to dedicate to schooling I would prefer to dedicate to the actual courses.

Second, while I did not mention it completely before. As I stated before, I partly owe my success in obtaining my Bachelor's and MBA to people like Sanantone and DFRECORE. Therefore, as you might had guessed it, I tested out of my Bachelor's and used a competency program for my MBA. My academic record in some people's eyes may look good, in others it is confusing. Furthermore, I mentioned my work history to expand the recommendations that people were giving me. I can show at least three years of management experience but it is military. I have spoken with some Universities, and they are iffy about accepting it. Some will not consider it as management experience, most will not accept it as business experience. This means in the eyes of some universities I lack a good educational background and work experience. A double tap, academically speaking.

As for Capella and Walden, well, I did not make any actual comments about them. I genuinely tried to preserve distance. Nevertheless, I stand by my decision to omit them from my decision process. Also please see Sanantone's post.

Lastly, I appreciate this board because the people here are mostly non-combative and helpful. This board is for nontraditional schooling, and my route has been nontraditional. Because of that, I stay away from combative boards that preach traditional schooling methods. As mentioned before, I am a long time lurker and first time poster.

Thank you.

@ Sanantone

I have been speaking with one of the universities mentioned here, Cumberlands. I admit that I do not understand how accreditation works. The university in question lacks programmatic accreditation for the program but it is regionally accredited. Is it possible for a program to not fall under the university's regional accreditation?

Argosy University
Baker College
Franklin University
Liberty University

South Alabama is probably the most prestigious. However, I may not be able to fulfill their 5 year business experience requirement. I plan to contact them and see what they say.

For my second choice, it remains a draw between Argosy, Liberty and Cumberlands. Please critique them, if you have any experience with them.

Kennesaw looked promising but I am guessing their program changed. As I was told it is no longer an online program but a full residency program.

The doctoral program falls under the school's regional accreditation. They just lack optional, programmatic accreditation such as AACSB, ACBSP, and IACBE. Those are mostly important if you want to teach at a school that has one of those accreditations. 

The "sister" forum has a few people who have attended University of the Cumberlands, but for their Phd program in leadership. University of the Cumberlands and Liberty university are very conservative, Christian schools. Some people like that, some people hate it, and some people don't mind.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
@ Sanantone

Thank you for that explanation. I appreciate everything you guys (and gals) do on this forum. I will keep reviewing and contacting schools, and I should reply next time with more information about them. Hopefully, I will be able to narrow down my list even more.
Revised List:

Schools to Consider:

City University of Seattle
Keiser University
Liberty University (Probably will lose out to Cumberlands)
Saint Leo University
St. Ambrose University

Schools Falling Out:

Argosy University (Has not return any of my emails)
Baker College (Program is just not what I am looking for)
Franklin University (Looked promising but has no Finance or Accounting electives)
University of South Alabama (I was told that they will most likely not count my military experience as business experience, kinda guessed that)

I am still research my schools that I am considering, please feel free to critique them as you see fit. If you have any experience with these schools please feel free to provide it.

Thank you.

@ Sanantone

Argosy University
Baker College
Franklin University
Liberty University

(12-20-2017, 12:32 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(12-19-2017, 11:20 PM)Sagan Wrote: It would seem the Walden case has not moved much (or at all) in the last year. Nor does it appear to have been certified as a class-action. ON the other hand, it has not been dismissed, either. Still, it would behoove potential students considering Walden to consider the complaint and it possible merits. Bear in mind, however, that a complaint may not necessarily be upheld.

The lawsuit may not go anywhere, but the turnover of faculty is something to consider when pursuing a doctorate.

Thank you.

@ Sanantone

Argosy University
Baker College
Franklin University
Liberty University

The doctoral program falls under the school's regional accreditation. They just lack optional, programmatic accreditation such as AACSB, ACBSP, and IACBE. Those are mostly important if you want to teach at a school that has one of those accreditations. 

The "sister" forum has a few people who have attended University of the Cumberlands, but for their Phd program in leadership. University of the Cumberlands and Liberty university are very conservative, Christian schools. Some people like that, some people hate it, and some people don't mind.
You have every right to exclude colleges based on reputation especially at the Doctorate level. Even a school like U of Phoenix you will have to put in some work and in the end have a piece of paper people will scoff at. Not to trash U of P but pedigree matters at the masters and beyond. Is a necessary for your Phd to be in business admin? From my experience, the business sectors cares about track record, skills and name of MBA in that order. If your long path is in the military than I would not have input on that. But to me, a DBA or Phd in business admin seems like a path to teach business pretty much. If a PHd is what you need to stand out in the military, perhaps looking at a public admin or public policy from a decent state school would make you stand out.
@ cardiacclep

It is possible that DPA or PhD in Public Admin would work. However, both my Bachelor's and Master's are in Business Administration. In the Army, most Officers will make it to their O-3 (Captain) in time. Any rank beyond that is extremely competitive.

Revised List:

Schools to Consider:

City University of Seattle (I like their program)
Saint Leo University (Looking like it will come down to Saint Leo VS Cumberlands, any input is welcomed)

Schools Falling Out:

Keiser University (Their graduate admissions councilor could not answer whether their program was ACBSP accredited or not. I do not care about the ACBSP accreditation, however the lack of knowledge about one's own program is worrisome.)
St. Ambrose University (Offline only)

Note: I keep updating my school list as to not only ask for feedback, but to also provide guidance to anyone that may be in a similar situation as I am. I know from being a long time lurker, that it is often easier to search for articles through google and nitpick at them then sometimes post them.