Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phd
(01-04-2020, 05:59 PM)nyvrem Wrote: @Merlin

the ones i sic were research based. you study like 3-4 research mods (those are online), then u meet with ur supervisor and get your stuff done and viva in person.

I don't know if that works for the OP, but that is kind of what I assume is the standard for an online research-based degree. Plus there would need to be a lot of skype calls to your advisor and other students I'd assume. Then you need to visit for the exams and for the dissertation presentation and defense.

That said, I've been looking at the schools you mentioned (University of Reading, University of Sunderland) and a few others I found (such as the University of York and Oxford) and while they appear to support this model in theory, I couldn't find a distance learning path to the DPhil/PhD on the websites. They appear to support distance learning, but only when they have a partner institution for you to use for your local mentor/advisor, etc. I don't see purely online options for completing the research courses & advanced topic modules, etc.

The University of York was a bit contradictory. The York CS department website indicates that you can earn their DPhil/PhD in CS via online distance learning, but when you look up the fees and tuition info, only information for the MSc programmes are available online.

In all these cases, I imagine that you probably have to work directly with admissions to the CS department to work through the details since it seems that this should be an option, but it isn't streamlined for you.

That all said, York appears to be twice as expensive than the others anyway, so probably wouldn't be ideal. Likewise with Oxford and any of the other bigger-name UK schools. The only way those would be realistic is if they were funded degrees online somehow.

(01-04-2020, 05:59 PM)nyvrem Wrote: there's one fully online DBA from Teeside University

https://www.tees.ac.uk/postgraduate_cour...nline).cfm

I added that one to my list. That appears to be the least expensive online DBA that I've found, beating out the University of the Cumberlands by about $8,000. Of course, that doesn't help the OP since they indicated that they were only interested in CS and related degrees. I, on the other hand, am also considering business degrees (including leadership, management, and I/O psychology) in addition to technical degrees (like CS, DS/DA, and IT). Though I am mostly interested in CS and related degrees like the OP.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
there's some PhD programs from Spain. it's conducted in English.

https://studies.uoc.edu/en/doctoral-programmes
(01-04-2020, 04:02 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 09:20 PM)tabasit Wrote: I am looking for an affordable online PhD program in computer science , software engineering or related fields.
The only affordable program I found is from Aspen University.
I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations.
Thanks

I've been looking into these as well. While there are several universities offering online PhD programs these days, there are not many that I'd consider affordable. Most CS PhD programs appear to be in the $70K+ (US) range, and only one of those are online.

I looked at Aspen as well. That program has come up on this forum a few times in recent years, but it is not regionally accredited. At $27K plus $5K in books and fees, that is a really well-priced DCS degree. Yes, it is a DCS not a PhD in Computer Science. But since it is only nationally accredited, that makes it less desirable for me as I'd like to keep my options open for teaching.

The next least expensive Computer Science program is the PhD in Computer Science from Northcentral University, coming in around $67K plus books. This degree does have the potential for a full-ride scholarship, but that is unlikely. Without that, I probably wouldn't consider it.

After that is the DCS degree from Colorado Technical University at $60K in tuition plus $14K in fees. At $74K, I don't really consider that affordable without some kind of scholarship.

The only other sub-$100K CS-related online doctoral degree that I found is the PhD in Systems Engineering from Colorado State University at $78K. Though this may not really count since it isn't specifically computer systems engineering, though that is included as part of the program.

I am not including doctoral degrees in Information Technology, Information Systems, Data Science, or Information Science, which are aligned with CS programs but aren't really CS.

I've only spent a short time doing research, though I think I exhausted most if not all of the accredited online schools. I also found quite a number of online doctoral programs, including a few CS programs, that I didn't include because I don't think they are legit; at the least, they were not accredited via any reliable accreditation body.

Realistically, the Aspen degree is really the only affordable DCS degree that I've found. UALR has a PhD in Computer Information Sciences that I am also considering. UALR offers a CS specific track for that, but it isn't available online––only the Information Science and Information Quality tracks.

I'd also be interested if anyone has found anything else.
I graduated from North central with a DBA and a PhD.  I was then hired by UCR to teach in the MBA program. Smile
(01-08-2020, 07:57 PM)Daniel.clark.ashley Wrote: hired by UCR to teach in the MBA program. Smile

You live (or at least work) very close to me Smile
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(01-08-2020, 07:57 PM)Daniel.clark.ashley Wrote: I graduated from North central with a DBA and a PhD.  I was then hired by UCR to teach in the MBA program. Smile

Impressive. I assume you liked the NCU doctoral programs considering you completed two doctoral degree programs with them. Any observations to share for those of us considering following in your footsteps?

How long did each of the degrees take to complete?
Which PhD program did you complete and what was the subject area of your area of research, if you don't mind me asking?
Out of curiosity, did you win a scholarship or other tuition assistance from NCU for one or both of the degrees?
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
LOL, When I read this earlier, I got NCU confused with this school with the same name, so I searched their site and they don't offer anything higher than a Masters - Link: https://www.northcentral.edu/ , then I recalled the school you're referring to is this one! - Link: https://www.ncu.edu/

Anyways, NCU was bought out by NUS (National University System) in July of 2018. I wonder if they've changed their model from For Profit to Not-For-Profit - Link: https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktake...hcentral-u

And an FYI, NUS affiliates include National University, Northcentral University, John F. Kennedy University, and City University of Seattle. I wonder if someone has ever completed a degree from each of the four... Link: https://www.nusystem.org/
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]