Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Phi Theta Kappa
I would like to know why it is the purpose to join honor society. Do you need to contribute your time to be on member? I am current taking online course. Do it still qualify? I never been in honor society. There are so many honor society; what it is the different between them?
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA

Completed: WGU MS-CIA & Ms University Isabel I, ENEB
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Imbanewbie's post:
  • 2L8
(06-12-2019, 08:57 AM)Imbanewbie Wrote: I would like to know why it is the purpose to join honor society. Do you need to contribute your time to be on member? I am current taking online course. Do it still qualify? I never been in honor society. There are so many honor society; what it is the different between them?

Hmm certain people have different purposes to joining one. One of my reasons are for building my resume and trying to socialize for a bit. When it comes to your school they usually have different requirements. But I think that if you have more than 12-15 credit hours and around a 3.5 GPA then yeah you'd qualify. I'm gonna accept and see how it goes.And yes , I agree with you there are so many. Some specify a certain field like business , education ,etc..

(06-11-2019, 07:24 PM)clep3705 Wrote: In the state of Texas, public universities use the Texas Common Application. There is a version of it for students transferring from a community college. One of the questions is: Are you a member of Phi Theta Kappa?

Not yet but I'm gonna accept the invitation later on this week.
(06-12-2019, 08:57 AM)Imbanewbie Wrote: I would like to know why it is the purpose to join honor society. Do you need to contribute your time to be on member? I am current taking online course. Do it still qualify? I never been in honor society. There are so many honor society; what it is the different between them?

I joined PTK more for motivation, personal development, and goal setting.  Since they have a GPA requirement, being a member caused me to strive to keep my GPA up.  So at times when I wanted to slack off on assignments, I would continue pushing for an A.  I've since joined three other honor societies for the same reasons, and haven't earned less than an A in every class.

If you don't have an interest in honor societies, you likely won't have any after you join one either.  You have to go into it knowing what you want from it, otherwise, like anything else, you will be disappointed.  Honor societies can offer access to special educational deals, scholarships, and leadership training/positions, but most of all, it offers networking opportunities.  It wasn't until may later years that I realized the value of networking.  If you happen to run into someone who is also a PTK member, they are more likely to think a little bit more positively about you.  I had a PTK license plate frame on my car, and apparently while my wife was driving it, some other random lady happily waved at her, saying she was a PTK alumni as well. 

I joined all of my honor societies while being a 100% online student.  So while in-person members might contribute time at the local chapters, online students are members on paper, but also qualify for the same benefits.  The ones I've joined only charge a low one-time fee, so not a recurring cost.  You join and pay once, and you are a member for life.
BSNS - Excelsior College - 2019

AASIO - Cochise College - 2012

[-] The following 1 user Likes TheMaskedMutant's post:
  • alab21
Being a member of an honors society can be the difference between GS-5 and GS-7 for a federal government job in the U.S.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • alab21, Jonathan Whatley
(06-13-2019, 07:33 AM)sanantone Wrote: Being a member of an honors society can be the difference between GS-5 and GS-7 for a federal government job in the U.S.

Oh wow, I never knew that.
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
(06-13-2019, 07:33 AM)sanantone Wrote: Being a member of an honors society can be the difference between GS-5 and GS-7 for a federal government job in the U.S.

What different between to be a member vs non member? I feel I dont qualify for those honor society. I am current part time study and i am taking online course
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA

Completed: WGU MS-CIA & Ms University Isabel I, ENEB
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversigh...l-Policies
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
[-] The following 1 user Likes clep3705's post:
  • TheMaskedMutant

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Harvard Extension: Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship eriehiker 4 1,755 06-17-2019, 06:48 AM
Last Post: cookderosa