Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online CLEP (proctoring)
I have seen some positive reports of using CLEP's newish online proctoring service.  I had a terrible experience a few weeks ago and don't really know why.  I did all of the system checks they recommended in advance and thought everything was fine.  I was using Windows 10 and Firefox.

Does anyone have any tips?  I did not find their documentation or staff very helpful.

Thanks for any advice!
https://testing.verificient.com/clep/

It looks like they only officially support Google Chrome, but Chromium probably also works fine.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
[-] The following 1 user Likes carrythenothing's post:
  • katsiki
You're not alone. Several people here have reported terrible experiences with the CLEP online proctor. If you can take an in-person exam, I would strongly recommend doing so. If you can't, I would use another source unless there are no other sources for that specific credit.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • katsiki
Thanks for the replies!

I did some more digging and found this about tech requirements:

Tech Requirements | Proctortrack

Hoping it might help someone in the future.

I will probably try in-person testing.  There is a university not too far from me.  They are harder to schedule but everything probably works Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like katsiki's post:
  • rachel83az, suzycupcake
(05-11-2022, 09:11 AM)katsiki Wrote: Thanks for the replies!

I did some more digging and found this about tech requirements:

Tech Requirements | Proctortrack

Hoping it might help someone in the future.

I will probably try in-person testing.  There is a university not too far from me.  They are harder to schedule but everything probably works Smile

These tech requirements look like they're considering all their proctoring options. For the CLEP exam requirements, I'd go with the link I posted above (which is also linked to by that Proctortrack page): https://testing.verificient.com/clep

See also: https://clep.collegeboard.org/help-cente...-or-tablet

Quote:What type of devices (handheld, tablet, PC) can be used for testing? Can I use a Mac, phone, or tablet?

You must use a Windows-compatible laptop or desktop. Verify that your equipment will meet the technical requirements by reviewing the system requirements information on the CLEP website.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
[-] The following 1 user Likes carrythenothing's post:
  • katsiki
Generally, I usually recommend going to a testing center for CLEP, if you're OK with their online proctoring provider (and their data breach history, then ProctorTrack may work), I suggest using a secondary backup laptop that doesn't have any personal or work related info.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • katsiki
If you have a proctoring center nearby, I agree that it is probably easier. I and a friend both had issues with CLEP's proctoring service. Technical issues for both of us that took in my case 40 minutes to fix and in his almost 90 minutes to fix... and then, in my case, an "exit" button which I assumed exited from test review actually quit the exam entirely. I got them to fix it, but only after finding an email for a senior VP at College Board.

When I used the in-person proctor for earlier exams, it was as smooth as glass.
[-] The following 1 user Likes studyingfortests's post:
  • katsiki
Windows 10 AND Google Chrome are mandatory

1. Exit OneDrive and other online drive applications
2. Exit all online meeting applications
3. Exit all chat programs
4. Disable your antivirus
5. Make sure you only have one monitor on
6. Have a mirror on you and cover any televisions and ither monitors with a sheet or towel
7. Now start the test, download the app, follow directions
8. Verify your mug, ID, and get ready to play 20 questions repeated thrice with Chad or Steve from Mumbai
9. When you are just about considering pulling out your fingernails…the nightmare ends and the exam begins
[-] The following 2 users Like Nykronimicon's post:
  • Ideas, katsiki
I feel like these concerns are a little overblown? I can take a test at 10 PM at night, I don't have to drive anywhere, ModernStates covers the proctor fee (and the test fee), and I'm done - done - onto the next one in a little under 2 hours. I've done the process 5 times and it's not bad. I don't even need administrator access on my computer to install the software. I feel like it's way less invasive than in-person proctoring, when you're on no fewer than 3 cameras at all times.
[-] The following 3 users Like BarleyWhine's post:
  • jch, jsd, LevelUP
I would restart your computer, then wait around 5-15 minutes for any checks/updates to complete.

Or at the very least, RESTART YOUR CHROME BROWSER!

I did a test for the PHP cert and my Chrome browser was lagging the whole time, and nearly crashed causing me to run out of time.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • katsiki

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  InstantCert w/CLEP and DSST tomheany 0 142 03-13-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: tomheany
  CLEP and Modern States in the UK BritStudent 4 461 03-06-2024, 09:21 AM
Last Post: asianphd
  CLEP - BIOLOGY Recommendations? GoBroncos95 11 759 02-19-2024, 06:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  CLEP Spanish advice? Stanislav 8 487 01-31-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Is there a limit to CLEP? GoBroncos95 8 633 01-28-2024, 12:23 PM
  Cancelled clep scores?: Please HELP! lyssiethekitty 2 405 01-11-2024, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill
  Military CLEP/DSST transcript issues defscarlett 4 446 01-10-2024, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  What is Modern States? (AKA How to Take CLEP Tests for FREE) sgloer 1 1,976 12-10-2023, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Dango375
  ACE Recommendations for several CLEP Exams expiring today jch 2 934 12-01-2023, 05:30 AM
Last Post: jch
  Is the CLEP College Composition Modular easier than Sophia's English Composition I? whiverem 4 551 11-08-2023, 11:24 AM