Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
State schools vs. other options
This OP went wild and attacked everyone in the thread.

The OP's comments about WGU being a low-quality school aren't accurate. Graduates of WGU are working at Microsoft and other big tech names. Also, graduates of WGU have been able to get into the top 100 schools for master's programs. The whole people at WGU aren't good proctors is utter nonsense as a literal monkey could do proctoring services. Who cares?

We had a TESU grad get into two T14 law schools with a nearly full-ride scholarship.

That being said, there's always going to be a debate about getting into a top-rated school such as a top 150 school. Though just because you graduate from a top-rated school doesn't mean you are guaranteed a high-paying job. 

Some jobs such as IT and coding are skill based jobs so given you got the skills, it is possible to get high paying jobs even without a degree. Here a quote from DF member Senior_dev, "The beautiful thing about Silicon Valley is that it’s as close to a meritocracy as you’ll find and - through hard work to account for the unfinished degree - I ended up earning much more than both of my Ivy league graduate brothers."
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • Arto, FastTrackDegree
(09-26-2022, 12:36 AM)StoicJ Wrote:
(01-28-2022, 06:03 PM)MDela3 Wrote:
(08-04-2020, 08:41 PM)StoicJ Wrote: University of the People seems like it is going to be the best option for me. I submitted my application, got approved, and set up a portal account. I want to transfer in a lot of credits. I have two of my RA (regionally accredited) college transcripts in PDF ready to send in, and just need to scan a 3rd to complete my first transfer credit evaluation request.

Hopefully the RA credit transfer is completed to my liking this month (August 2020). In the meantime I will begin taking TWO UotP courses (no cost up front), and work on some Saylor courses (no up-front costs either). If I get enough RA credits accepted I will send in an ACE trancript towards the end of the year to see how many ACE-recommended credits get approved.

My HOPE is that 72 credits transfer, leaving 16 UotP courses overall. I realize there is a lot left to do, and I still don't KNOW how much time and effort the UotP courses require. If it doesn't work out, at least posting the experience here will help others.

My projected cost to complete this is $2,750. I will post a summary of transfer eval when it's complete, then a projected path to degree completion.

It breaks my heart when people go for these for-profit private institutions instead of considering online state schools. There are so many other options for you. University of the People, WGU, Capella and many more are low quality institutions. As someone who was looking for an affordable online degree program with required accreditation and reputation, I came across many state schools who accomplished these three needs.

I am not sure what state you reside in but I work look into the online degree programs at your local public colleges.

Kinda dredging up an older thread, but I didn't see it until now and it kind of involves me so here goes:

Sorry I broke someone's heart  Big Grin
Shame on you !  You heartbreaker  Exclamation Heart  Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pats20's post:
  • StoicJ

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Jacksonville State U. JSU Try It program. New course for Fall 2024. Completely Free sixdegreesandamovie 3 290 04-01-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: jch
  Utah Schools switching to the 3-year Bachelor Airamb 6 317 03-27-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Name Brand, RA, State School Degree - Penn State World PreLawCoastie 7 1,213 03-02-2024, 07:56 PM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  Colorado State University GLOBAL? GoBroncos95 3 735 01-30-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Schools that accept ACE credits and allow 90cr in transfer bjcheung77 87 40,734 01-30-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: inor
  Arizona State University grading Carnation 5 851 10-19-2023, 12:22 AM
Last Post: Carnation
  List of RA brick and mortar schools that accept 75% of credits from SDC, Sophia, SL ausernameisneeded 19 1,915 09-30-2023, 02:30 PM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Two, two degree schools 6 months? learningthehardway 16 1,893 06-01-2022, 08:02 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Weber State University - CS Flex program karehiro 5 1,363 05-18-2022, 11:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Alternate schools for Comp Sci? Ideas 4 1,358 03-29-2022, 05:05 AM
Last Post: Ideas