Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plan so far; soliciting comments
Dassey Wrote:Hopefully you can see my attachment as to how they did my certs. Some of the MS ones can come in through ACE I assume. The CCNA one does not though.

It's a tough call...they gave you a pretty good chunk for the credits, but the difference in how Excelsior and TESC evaluate credits is significant. Hopefully someone who has more knowledge than I can comment. I was not able to find a database management testing option, and I'm not sure if they will take CSU Globals Systems Analysis and Design CBE at excelsior. That means you will require atleast a couple of classes, maybe use these as part of your 12 credits needed.

I'd suggest the Networking TECEP. You'll pass without study given your CCNA knowledge. It's like Networking in the 90's early 2000's (remember token ring?), but the CCNA is significantly more involved. Know the OSI model & TCP/IP model and lookup some basic info on thinnet/thicknet (if you don't remember..) and you'll likely pass.

Programming - SL has an option that's really simple if you already know to code. I could have blown through it in less than a day if I focused on it.

Org Behavior & Principles of Mgmt - I'd recommend SL. I like the format though, so I'm a bit biased. I hate going to testing centers.

Production/Ops Management - Don't believe the course you have will work. I'd look at the Ops management TECEP
Financial Management - Don't think this will work. Look at DSST or Penn Foster for this.
Natural Science - This will work, but I'd suggest environmental science instead, it's probably easier.
Business Law - The SL options is pretty easy/cheap.

There's a ton of other options as well. That's just my 2 cent.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
Dassey Wrote:Who proctors the finals at SL?

If you are asking specifically about SL English Composition I and II - they are not proctored at all. Yet they involve a lot of writing and are time consuming in my opinion. ( though they are doable.) Another idea - to take English ACE approved courses through Penn Foster. I didn't do it personally, maybe somebody did it and will give the feedback. A lot of PF courses are easy.
mednat Wrote:Programming - SL has an option that's really simple if you already know to code.
Natural Science - This will work, but I'd suggest environmental science instead, it's probably easier.

I agree with mednat's suggestions. I took SL Environmental Science - it was really easy. ( C++ is easy too if you already know programming). The finals for C++ and Environmental Science are proctored through ProctorU.
Thanks all, great suggestions. I will modify my plan. Perhaps I should just do all the gen ed stuff now and once thats done, revisit the specifics..I do need 12 credits through excelsior and my company will pay for upto 5k a year.

For the general education credits, do I need to get approval first or can I start taking SL and CLEPs now with the assumption they will be accepted?
Dassey Wrote:Thanks all, great suggestions. I will modify my plan. Perhaps I should just do all the gen ed stuff now and once thats done, revisit the specifics..I do need 12 credits through excelsior and my company will pay for upto 5k a year.

For the general education credits, do I need to get approval first or can I start taking SL and CLEPs now with the assumption they will be accepted?

Excelsior is really good about planning in credits. I'd suggest planning them in. It's probably not necessary but it doesn't take much effort with Excelsior. With TESC it's not worth it IMHO.

With reimbursement Excelsior looks alot more attractive. Just be mindful of UL/LL, I'm not familar with how Excelsior transcribes things,so It's best to check. I suggest SL because I like the format,but I'd review DSSTs before taking them to ensure one is not UL and one LL.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,275 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,780 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,752 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,303 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,653 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
Exclamation 2018/2019 Updated Associates Degree Plan Options?! Mikele8 10 2,894 08-23-2018, 09:47 AM
  TESU BA in History Plan - Critiques? mysonx3 4 2,119 08-21-2018, 08:54 AM
  New Member need assistance with TESU degree plan BA ckndinner 3 1,672 08-12-2018, 09:11 PM
Last Post: prolific_change
  New Member need assistance with TESU degree plan BA in Lib Studies PBenitez 14 3,451 08-11-2018, 02:21 PM
  New Member - Need Assistance With TESU Psychology Plan joshyjosh 7 2,189 08-05-2018, 10:01 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77