Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Planning for Getting PhD in the USA
(05-01-2020, 06:02 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Just wondering - have you guys thought of Australian or UK programs?  I've been looking mainly at Australian & UK programs and sometimes poking into European or South American and other programs locally.  Would Aussie/UK programs be as good as the US?  Depends, but I think so... I'm looking into programs that can be completed online.

Update edit:  And if you're in Asia, there are other Asian countries with universities ranked very highly, have you guys thought of Singaporean schools, they're taught in English.  There are a few that I really like as well...  It's just that most PhD programs aren't fully online in these countries, most if not all of them have short residency requirements.

I haven't looked at any of the Australian schools yet, but I have been looking at UK schools (I've been chatting with an advisor from Staffordshire U off and on for a while now). I am not interested in relocating so I am primarily looking at fully-online part-time Ph.D. programs that won't break the bank... it is unlikely that I will get any financial support from the school itself as a distance-learning student. There are some good value online Ph.D. and DBA programs in the US, particularly if I want to stay in Business/Leadership, but I'd like to find a CS program since that is closer to where my passions and research interests lie.

I am also looking at local schools, but I doubt any of them will be a good fit for me. There are a ton of great schools in this area (Stanford, UC Berkeley, UCSF, Santa Clara University, Golden Gate University, SF State, San Jose State, and CSU East Bay, plus a bunch of others I can't recall offhand) and many offer fully-funded Ph.D. programs, but my academic background, lack of academic references, and non-existent academic research credentials are a major limiting factor there. Particularly given the high entrance requirements and how competitive the schools with CS programs are (Stanford and UC Berkeley).

Plus, I'd prefer to find a part-time program if possible so I can still work at the same time. Most of the local schools don't even offer part-time programs. Ideally, I'd like to find a program that doesn't require GRE, though I will do it if needs be. I just don't expect a great score in the math section given I've never needed to know more than college-level algebra and some statistics in my career, so anything above that will need to be researched anew. This all takes me back to distance education options.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador