Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pluralsight - 40% off
Missed this before, so there are only 4 hours left as of right now, but Pluralsight has 40% off their annual subscriptions:

https://www.pluralsight.com/offer/2020/bf-cm-40-off

It's currently $179 for the basic annual subscription or $269 for the premium version. These are normally $299 and $449 respectively.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • nomaduser
Udemy, Pluralsight, Linkedin Learning, Packt Publishing are the best tutorial providers for computer science stuffs...
In my opinion, they provide way more useful info than college level online courses. Most of college-level computer science courses are useless in real life. lol

I think Pluralsight, Linkedin Learning courses deserve college credits. Online IT college courses on Tel Learning, Sophia.org, Study.com just cover bare minimum fundamentals and they don't teach you skills that are actually useful in business. They don't want you to make any money in business. LOL
I hope the world will change one day and we will get credits for taking Pluralsight, Linkedin Learning, Packt Pub courses.
(11-30-2020, 11:07 PM)nomaduser Wrote: Udemy, Pluralsight, Linkedin Learning, Packt Publishing are the best tutorial providers for computer science stuffs...
In my opinion, they provide way more useful info than college level online courses. Most of college-level computer science courses are useless in real life. lol

I think Pluralsight, Linkedin Learning courses deserve college credits. Online IT college courses on Tel Learning, Sophia.org, Study.com just cover bare minimum fundamentals and they don't teach you skills that are actually useful in business. They don't want you to make any money in business. LOL
I hope the world will change one day and we will get credits for taking Pluralsight, Linkedin Learning, Packt Pub courses.

You can always do PLA's for stuff you learn; or take a cert that counts for college credit at some schools (like WGU).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
The website says 40% off the deal ends midnight on 12/4! Woot there's still time.

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

[-] The following 1 user Likes ROYISAGIRL's post:
  • rachel83az
Nice! When I posted, the countdown said 4 hours and some minutes. I'm glad it's extended for anyone who wants to take advantage.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(12-01-2020, 08:54 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(11-30-2020, 11:07 PM)nomaduser Wrote: Udemy, Pluralsight, Linkedin Learning, Packt Publishing are the best tutorial providers for computer science stuffs...

You can always do PLA's for stuff you learn; or take a cert that counts for college credit at some schools (like WGU).

That's not what I'm talking about. For example, if you develop applications using Google's Angular, you can land a job given that you have at least 30+ pieces to showcase in your portfolio. But the entire 4-year computer science / IT college programs will never mention about 'Angular' and 'TypeScript'.

So the IT / Computer Science courses taught on Coursera, Edx, Study.com, Sophia.org are very least likely to land you a job. They only cover fundamentals which you can bypass. 

You can learn practical skills that can land a job through Pluralsight, Udemy, Linkedin Learning, Packt Pub, and Pearson.
It's kinda funny that real practical and lucrative skills will never worth any college credit.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nomaduser's post:
  • alab21
(12-01-2020, 03:13 PM)nomaduser Wrote:
(12-01-2020, 08:54 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

That's not what I'm talking about. For example, if you develop applications using Google's Angular, you can land a job given that you have at least 30+ pieces to showcase in your portfolio. But the entire 4-year computer science / IT college programs will never mention about 'Angular' and 'TypeScript'.

So the IT / Computer Science information taught on Coursera, Edx, Study.com, Sophia.org are very least likely to lead to any job. They only cover fundamentals which you can bypass. 

You can learn practical skills that can land a job through Pluralsight, Udemy, Linkedin Learning, Packt Pub, and Pearson.
It's kinda funny that real practical and lucrative skills will never worth any college credit.

I don't know why you even mention sophia.org(or Tel Learning), they have 1 "IT" course and it's only meant to satisfy a general education/elective requirement for non IT/CS majors. Coursera and EDX  have tons of courses, some developed by specific companies like IBM and google, which teach some practical skills for their technology. If you're looking for college credits for learning a specific technology or application, you're missing the point of higher education. Vendor specific technologies and applications change way too frequently for conventional schools to keep their curriculums up to date. And what happens when you get your degree in "Google's Angular," and then google kills it? Then you have a useless degree. If you get a degree in CS or software development, you will(hopefully) have been exposed to multiple technologies(and worked on multiple projects along the way) and understand the underlying theory behind what you're doing so you can apply your knowledge and skills in new ways as technology changes. 

If that's not your thing, there are plenty of CC's and vocationally centered schools that center on specific technologies like Cisco Networking or Microsoft Office applications. There are also many relatively new programs that let you PLA your experience/certifications or straight up allow certifications to transfer in for credit like WGU, Purdue Global, and the Big 3. 

If you do go through and get your "non practical" CS degree and realize you don't have the right skills, then you can easily, quickly and cheaply bring yourself up to speed on what you need with Udemy, LinkedIn Learning, PluralSight, etc.

Quote:They only cover fundamentals which you can bypass.

Then bypass them. Degrees are meant to show that you have a well rounded education, including the fundamentals. Plenty of people have launched successful developer careers without degrees. However, plenty of those people later found ceilings in their career growth due to a lack of a degree and later went through WGU or another competency based program.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)