Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prin. of Management: Functional Structure?
Hello all,

Thought one of you might be able to help me out. Can you explain a "Functional Structure"? I'm having a bit of trouble with it. Thanks!Big Grin
I took the test a few days ago and passed, however, I would say that the "Functional Structure" is similar to the "Organization Structure" in that it "has to do with dividing the work that needs to be done, growing the human and other resources, establishing a structure of authority and responsibility devising means for coordinating the various parts." based on information from the Comex guide

But we can wait and get more input, because I will be taking the Prin. O Supervisor next week and the study information is similar.
Passed CLEP & DSST, Principles of Marketing, Principles of Management, Principles of Supervision, Human Resource Management, Here's To Your Health, Civil War & Reconstruction, Drugs & Alcohol Abuse, Introduction To Psychology, Introduction To Sociology, Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union, Criminal Justice, Into to Law Enforcement, Astronomy, Environment and Humanity, Technical Writing, Foundations of Education, Western Europe Since 1945, DSST Organization Behavior, ECE Ethics: Theory & Practice, Intro to Business, ECE Abnormal Psychology, ECE World Population, ECE Psychology of Adulthood and Aging, Fundamentals of Counseling
A functional structure is simply a way of organizing the organization. Specifically, it groups positions together based on similiar skills, expertise or resources. An example would be having a Marketing Group, Finance Group, Human Resources, Productions, etc.
Another question . . .

On IC, in Prin. of Management, it states that in a job interview it is inappropriate to ask about previous arrests of your prospective employee. Is this not something you should be interested in when hiring an employee? My father has a lot of mangerial experience and he says that if arrests shows up on the employment application, they should be asked about.

Thanks so much!
I do not know what the correct answer on the exam would be, but I am a supervisor as well and we are counseled not to ask those kind of questions. We also have form that applicants fill out and there is a space that asks about any offenses. However, as I said, we are counseled not to ask.
Arrests cannot be questioned because of the "innocent until proven guilty" approach. Questions need to be limited to convictions. The phrasing on applications involves convictions - generally "have you ever been convicted of a felony?" or "have you ever been convicted of a crime, with the exception of minor traffic violations?"

Hope that helps!
Completed Associate's Degree in Business at Excelsior in August 2007
Already at work on the Bachelor's!
AMPawlak227 Wrote:Arrests cannot be questioned because of the "innocent until proven guilty" approach. Questions need to be limited to convictions. The phrasing on applications involves convictions - generally "have you ever been convicted of a felony?" or "have you ever been convicted of a crime, with the exception of minor traffic violations?"

Hope that helps!

Thanks, guys! That makes sense. I did have this question on the exam today, and I answered that it was inappropriate to ask about arrests. I passed with a 69, so I was very pleased.

I appreciate both your help, as well as everyone else on IC!