Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BLS in MIS minor
(06-13-2021, 01:23 AM)innen_oda Wrote:
(06-12-2021, 10:55 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-12-2021, 07:06 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: So, if you're not taking the BLS an Project Management minor, you should or should not take the Sophia.org PM course?  Does it conflict with anything?  If someone has done the course, can they just ask UMPI to not evaluate it or tell them they want to take the course with them again?

Sophia's class is not the PMI method for project management. UMPI follows PMI's methodology. Intro to Project Management at UMPI is needed for the UL PM courses which are projects following the format and template you create in the intro class. If you don't take the intro class and learn the format and create your template, you have to learn that for the 2 400 level courses and these are BIG projects for the Final Assessment. I took intro to pm at CSU Global and still requested to take UMPI's course because I thought I would learn MS Project but I didn't, but I did learn more about pm from the course. Little did I know I was learning the format and template I would need later. I was not a PM minor then. I was an MIS minor then and added PM after taking the intro course. 

My recommendation to take Intro to PM at UMPI has nothing to do with evaluating a PM course. It does not conflict with anything. It has to do with making the Final Assessment MUCH easier thus faster. If you have to learn the format and create the template - which you won't know if you did it correctly until you submit your rough draft and it comes back - then you will be spending a great deal of time on those 2 courses which are required for the PM minor.

Honestly, sometimes the UMPI threads feel like listening to a (long-winded) politician, where they answer the question they wish they had been asked, and not the ones which were actually asked.

Finding out from a person who has actually taken the course why you might want to take it at UMPI rather than Sophia is actually very helpful.  Just a "don't take it at Sophia" is not enough info to go from.  Just because it doesn't duplicate something does not mean that you WANT to take it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts
(06-13-2021, 01:24 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Just a "don't take it at Sophia" is not enough info to go from. 

Quite. I'm glad said individual has at least improved on that front.

Still feel like it's some bizarre politican/salesman mix where rather than information sharing, it's about trying to drive people into one specific direction. The response to bjcheung's question was almost directly out of the playbook of political responses. It's expected when you're up for re-election and have just been asked an awkward question; but quite amusing (and a bit strange) when it's a couple of simple questions on an online message board.

As a gentle reminder, this person has been quite adamant about several facets of UMPI coursework and rules in the past, claims which have ended up being quite inaccurate (thanks to others who have also attended UMPI and contributed their knowledge). So while information 'from the source' is indeed helpful, I'd recommend having at least a few grains of salt nearby for this one.
(06-13-2021, 03:25 PM)innen_oda Wrote:
(06-13-2021, 01:24 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Just a "don't take it at Sophia" is not enough info to go from. 

Quite. I'm glad said individual has at least improved on that front.

Still feel like it's some bizarre politican/salesman mix where rather than information sharing, it's about trying to drive people into one specific direction. The response to bjcheung's question was almost directly out of the playbook of political responses. It's expected when you're up for re-election and have just been asked an awkward question; but quite amusing (and a bit strange) when it's a couple of simple questions on an online message board.

As a gentle reminder, this person has been quite adamant about several facets of UMPI coursework and rules in the past, claims which have ended up being quite inaccurate (thanks to others who have also attended UMPI and contributed their knowledge). So while information 'from the source' is indeed helpful, I'd recommend having at least a few grains of salt nearby for this one.

You have an issue with me and have for quite awhile. I get it you don't like or understand my enthusiasm for UMPI. That's fine. You still don't need to be a condescending jerk and say nasty things about me. In the past I've offered to discuss this issue with you in pm. You haven't taken me up on that which is fine. If you don't like what I have to say about UMPI you are free to keep on scrolling by and not make nasty comments. I don't seek you out and make nasty comments on your posts. 

I explained in detail why it's better to take Intro to PM at UMPI than on Sophia for the PM minor and concentration. Not sure what more you're looking for. The two UL courses I am talking about are BUS400 and BUS401. The Final Assessment may have changed since I took them last fall. I don't know if it has. Doesn't sound like it from speaking with others who are currently at UMPI. Do you need me to share my 3 projects to make you happy? 

I would love to know what I was wrong about at UMPI. All of the information I have shared was what was available to me at the time. Many questions posted on here I asked staff about and posted their response. Things also change. Right now they're going through a CBE accreditation assessment and making many changes to ACE course acceptance. Someone shared last week that a few of Study.com's classes are no longer coming in as UL and are now a LL business elective. When I applied they had a 30 credit ACE limit and they no longer do. Since I applied a new Registrar has come on board. The Executive Director of YourPace has also changed. There's been a ton of changes! I even had a professor change after the course started one term. Things change.
(06-13-2021, 05:05 PM)ss20ts Wrote: You have an issue with me and have for quite awhile

The insight you have is 100% valuable. Recommendations are great, and I'm glad you're here to raise UMPI as an option.

(06-13-2021, 05:05 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I get it you don't like or understand my enthusiasm for UMPI.

If you genuinely believe this, then you haven't been reading my posts. You should do that.

(06-13-2021, 05:05 PM)ss20ts Wrote: In the past I've offered to discuss this issue with you in pm. You haven't taken me up on that which is fine.

Can't say I recall such an overture, but in any case, you're always welcome to PM me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI YourPace BLS w/ Management Minor Reference Plan valentvne 0 14 19 minutes ago
Last Post: valentvne
  Is a Criminal Justice Minor Possible? Marlin9276 3 174 04-13-2024, 09:13 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BLS Management Minor Degree Plan mohelena02 4 400 04-12-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: mohelena02
  UMPI Minor Question WayToGoGrad 6 289 04-09-2024, 09:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  BLS with a minor in Information Systems or BBA PM & IS ZO10 23 1,002 03-28-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  Educational Studies Minor Adrian245 11 1,724 03-26-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BLS Minor Business theea 5 372 03-20-2024, 02:41 PM
  Completed! BAS Minor in Info Systems & Project Management mohelena02 4 490 02-25-2024, 07:14 PM
  Umpi BLS educational studies minor VincentB 1 242 02-20-2024, 04:09 AM
  UMPI B.A.S MIS minor Eligibility Question Nobi 7 518 02-17-2024, 02:31 PM