Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pronouns Lawsuit
University Professor wins lawsuit
https://www.npr.org/2022/04/20/109360172...t-pronouns
good !
[-] The following 2 users Like bluebooger's post:
  • uncapentin, Vle045
A simple google search seems to indicate that in the majority of cases, these "pronoun issues" are being decided in favor of the Teacher.  There are exceptions however and some of this comes out of the world of business, not academia.  I am in this position on occasion and I don't have any real trouble remembering because it is not very frequent an issue.  But I accommodate to be respectful as well.  I don't know if I should be sued if somehow I refuse (although I'm very unlikely to do so if asked specifically).  Personally, I don't feel like I'm losing or giving up anything by being prosocial in such matters but I also don't think it should be illegal for someone to have a different position.  Meanwhile, here's a thing on "misgendering" as a form of sexual harassment.  I'm sure this comes up in some workplaces
https://haelaw.com/is-it-discrimination-...-pronouns/
Meet enough people and without your knowing it, you will meet trans people and call them by gender pronouns preferred by them that are different from their assignments at birth.

I don't see any good reason to not also use preferred pronouns intentionally.

The alternative seems to be a form of shunning, in a context in which degrading and hateful speech against trans people is common, and physical attacks against trans people are not uncommon. Those latter are categorically different things from not using preferred pronouns. But they seem to be on the same side of a ledger, and I really want to not add anything to that side of anyone's ledger.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • Flelm, jsd
(04-22-2022, 01:47 PM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote: I don't see any good reason to not also use preferred pronouns intentionally.

Honestly, this is all I need. When I'm doing hiring interviews, do you know what the first thing I do is? I greet them by their name on their resume, and then ask them if they have a name they'd prefer I call them. Why? Because it's polite, it doesn't cost me anything, and why wouldn't I want people to have a good impression of me? (Ok, it's not exactly pronouns, but it's adjacent imo).
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
[-] The following 2 users Like Flelm's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, ss20ts
(04-22-2022, 03:28 PM)Flelm Wrote:
(04-22-2022, 01:47 PM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote: I don't see any good reason to not also use preferred pronouns intentionally.

Honestly, this is all I need. When I'm doing hiring interviews, do you know what the first thing I do is? I greet them by their name on their resume, and then ask them if they have a name they'd prefer I call them. Why? Because it's polite, it doesn't cost me anything, and why wouldn't I want people to have a good impression of me? (Ok, it's not exactly pronouns, but it's adjacent imo).

I started a long-term substitute teaching gig in a high school this semester.  Day 1, I asked every student if they had a nickname they preferred, and any that did told me.  I rarely refer to anyone by a pronoun, because that would be talking about them, rather than to them, which I don't really do - I just say their name/nickname when I talk to them.

I'm not sure how the whole pronoun thing came about, and think it's a bit on the precious side.  Just have people call you by the name you prefer and be done with it.  Give up on the pronoun thing already.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Stacie
I've started using they or them instead of she or he. Some people have noticed and made nasty comments, but my response is always that I am trying to include everyone and not leave anyone out. They/them includes everyone. I don't use my first often. I use a nickname instead and many people make the mistake of assuming I'm a man because of my name. WRONG!! So not a way to make a good first impression is to call someone the opposite gender including those who aren't transgender. Back in the 90's my husband had really long blond hair and was frequently addressed as a girl by waitstaff in restaurants. That was EXTREMELY offensive back then. Being called the wrong gender today is just as offensive and isn't necessary. Yes, addressing someone by their name remove the issue often times. Or just call everyone by their student number. I wonder how many people would be upset by this. I'd have to remember mine!
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • davewill, jsd

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  YouTube Influencers Slapped With $1 Billion Lawsuit for Promoting FTX LevelUP 0 405 03-17-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  American University Student Body President Wins Lawsuit sanantone 1 1,045 10-06-2019, 04:47 PM
Last Post: ChilliDawg
  Harvard Lawsuit sanantone 12 2,446 01-15-2019, 04:34 PM
Last Post: sanantone