Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PsyD programs without a dissertation
Does anyone know of any PsyD programs without a dissertation? Was looking for a program that offers clinical practices.  I know there are many programs out there but there are very few that do not require a dissertation and even more limited that are offered online?
(06-29-2021, 09:46 AM)newdegree Wrote: Does anyone know of any PsyD programs without a dissertation? Was looking for a program that offers clinical practices.  I know there are many programs out there but there are very few that do not require a dissertation and even more limited that are offered online?

I can't imagine a psych PhD without a dissertation! Dissertations are mostly what a PhD is all about.
(06-29-2021, 10:15 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-29-2021, 09:46 AM)newdegree Wrote: Does anyone know of any PsyD programs without a dissertation? Was looking for a program that offers clinical practices.  I know there are many programs out there but there are very few that do not require a dissertation and even more limited that are offered online?

I can't imagine a psych PhD without a dissertation! Dissertations are mostly what a PhD is all about.

Psych doctorates are based on clinical training and education, often times using clinical field studies... there is a difference between psyD and PHD..... One is a professional degree, the other is a research degree

The Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) is a professional doctoral degree intended to prepare graduates for careers that apply scientific knowledge of psychology and deliver empirically-based service to individuals, groups, and organizations. Earning the degree was originally completed through one of two established training models for clinical psychology.[1] However, Psy.D. programs are no longer limited to Clinical Psychology as several universities and professional schools have begun to award professional doctorates in Business PsychologyOrganizational DevelopmentForensic PsychologyCounseling Psychology, and School Psychology.
Its great idea, but it will be very challenging to find reasonably priced online option Sad
(06-29-2021, 10:33 AM)newdegree Wrote: Psych doctorates are based on clinical training and education, often times using clinical field studies... there is a difference between psyD and PHD..... One is a professional degree, the other is a research degree

The Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) is a professional doctoral degree intended to prepare graduates for careers that apply scientific knowledge of psychology and deliver empirically-based service to individuals, groups, and organizations. Earning the degree was originally completed through one of two established training models for clinical psychology.[1] However, Psy.D. programs are no longer limited to Clinical Psychology as several universities and professional schools have begun to award professional doctorates in Business PsychologyOrganizational DevelopmentForensic PsychologyCounseling Psychology, and School Psychology.

Clinical training can't easily be done online so I imagine that's why you're struggling to find an online program.
There are definitely some PsyD programs without dissertation. I know one right off the bat , UAGC - https://www.uagc.edu/online-degrees/phd-...psychology

Edit: Oh just saw that you were looking for clinical practice. I don’t believe UAGC offers that.
BABA, New England College, 2019
(06-29-2021, 11:17 AM)harrypotter Wrote: There are definitely some PsyD programs without dissertation. I know one right off the bat , UAGC -  https://www.uagc.edu/online-degrees/phd-...psychology

Edit: Oh just saw that you were looking for clinical practice. I don’t believe UAGC offers that.

This could be an issue for some, but it seems that many doctorate online programs have a similar requirement.

*For the Doctor of Psychology, you are required to attend three In-Residence weekend workshops. 

This program does require a project or dissertation.

**As a requirement for graduation from the University of Arizona Global Campus with a degree of Doctor of Psychology (PsyD), each student must complete and successfully defend an Applied Doctoral Project (ADP) or Dissertation. 
It was just an interesting idea I thought I would search for being that a lot of programs went remote due to COVID. The in-person residences are not a problem
As the OP stated, PsyD programs are applied psychology doctorates. They're supposed to be less research-oriented than PhDs. However, almost all PsyD programs require a dissertation or equivalent research project. There are online programs that lead to licensure as a social worker, psychologist, licensed professional counselor or licensed mental health counselor, and substance abuse counselor. There are also online programs in nursing, physical therapy, physician assistant studies, occupational therapy, pharmacy, medical technology, and other fields that require clinical training.

To the OP, I have not seen any online PsyD programs that are intended for licensure and don't require a dissertation. There are EdS programs for school psychology, though.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I'm posting the link to the PsyD program at Capella.  I'm not posting it because I think it's what you're looking for.  I'm posting it because I think it's as close as you're going to get.
PsyD in Clinical Psychology (capella.edu)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nearly half of master degree programs have no ROI sanantone 5 999 07-18-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 38 30,232 07-17-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  CBE graduate programs no exams newdegree 3 435 06-19-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Data Analytics Programs ss20ts 12 1,093 04-19-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: allvia
  I defended my dissertation! soliloquy 17 1,513 04-11-2024, 09:05 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 11,661 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  Open University Malaysia has PhD programs below 10k USD nyvrem 2 578 02-19-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: armado
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 870 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  Missouri University now has 100% online master's programs LevelUP 9 1,783 11-05-2023, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Masters-level CBE programs EverSpinning 5 1,827 10-11-2023, 08:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77