Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Psych GRE credits at Excelsior
I have been looking all over the site trying to find out what specific classes transfer in for taking the GRE in psychology and getting all 30 credits.

If anyone knows where it is posted or has received credits from the the exam that would be great
I am not quite sure what you are asking. If you want to know which courses are duplicated by the GRE Psych, well I never got a definitive answer. They told me NOT to take the Human Growth and Development, Intro. Psych, or Educational Psych exams. The credits from the GRE are not listed out as all ten courses on your transcript, it looks like this:

GRE Subject Exams
(720) Psychology........12LL.......Pass
(720) Psychology........18UL.......Pass

I still don't know exactly what courses duplicate, except the three I already mentioned. So it is still a bit of a mystery, but I will send them an email if you have a specific exam or course you want to know about. I do know that it is safe to take DSST Substance Abuse and DSST Organizational Behavior, they do not duplicate, but there is a lot of overlap in the study material. It's probably best to hold off on taking psychology exams until after you know your GRE score.

Hope that helps!
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/
Alissa,

Are you sure about the DSST Substance Abuse NOT being duplicated by the GRE at EC? I need the UL credits and have a lot of knowledge in the subject. I'm not feeling too hot about the Psych GRE. Taking it in April but I am still getting around 40% correct. I have studied very little but am a well known "crammer." Still, it's the first time I've been intimidated by an exam. I'm cranking up the studying now but time flies. I'm hoping to get in the 60th % or better. I know, I have to get cracking!! I will contact an advisor at EC, but thanks so much for the tip. I had written off the possibility but I think I can ace the DSST.

Also, do you think there is any worthwhile overlap (study-wise) between the DSST Substance Abuse and the Psych GRE or not really?

Best,
Mike
[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Mongoose65
started Excelsior 11/08
BA Lib Studies from TESC completed 10/09:
Transferred in 42 from B&M school.
9 credits from ISM Purchasing certification.
CLEP Humanities 11/08 (64)
CLEP A&I Lit. 11/08 (70)
CLEP Soc. Sci. & History 12/08 (65)
CLEP Natl Science 1/09 (51) :p
Penn Foster Info Lit 2/09
Psych GRE 4/09 Score 540, 26th %, 0 credits :mad:
IAAP CAP certification exam (2 days, 750 questions)5/09 PASSED all 4 exams, 29 credits! Big Grin
11 FEMAs
CLEP English Comp w/ easay (62)
ALEKS Intro to Statistics (8/09)
CLEP English Literature (69)
[/SIZE][/SIZE]
I am absolutely positive that the upper level Substance Abuse credits do not duplicate. They show up on my status report as "Applied Professional", and the GRE Psych is in my Social Science & History section. As far as study overlap, there is not so much for Substance Abuse as there is for Org. Behavior. Mostly just knowing about adolescence and deviant behavior, and about how addictions are classified in the DSM-IV. That's probably only a few questions. There is a good bit of overlap with Org. Behavior, I took that one right after the GRE with hardly an hour's study and passed with a pretty good score because of all my GRE prep. Although really, every social science and business exam I have taken since the GRE has some sort of basic psychology principles, I know that it has helped me pass several exams since the GRE, so you are building a really good foundation for many future exams you may tackle.

Now, quit reading forum posts and get studying!
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Hmmm, I suppose if I aspired to do better than 60% on the GRE, I wouldn't "really need" those UL credits so much, would I?! Are there credits for "creative procrastination?" If so, I'd be a PhD.

Yes, Ma'am, I'm going to study this weekend, I swear!

Be well,
Mike
[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Mongoose65
started Excelsior 11/08
BA Lib Studies from TESC completed 10/09:
Transferred in 42 from B&M school.
9 credits from ISM Purchasing certification.
CLEP Humanities 11/08 (64)
CLEP A&I Lit. 11/08 (70)
CLEP Soc. Sci. & History 12/08 (65)
CLEP Natl Science 1/09 (51) :p
Penn Foster Info Lit 2/09
Psych GRE 4/09 Score 540, 26th %, 0 credits :mad:
IAAP CAP certification exam (2 days, 750 questions)5/09 PASSED all 4 exams, 29 credits! Big Grin
11 FEMAs
CLEP English Comp w/ easay (62)
ALEKS Intro to Statistics (8/09)
CLEP English Literature (69)
[/SIZE][/SIZE]
I know what you are saying. Sometimes I sit down to study, and then I suddenly, absolutely, have an overwhelming urge to do a load of laundry instead. Well, it has to be done, doesn't it? lmao.

I know I've already posted the link for it a couple times, but the Yale lectures really helped me a lot with the GRE: Psychology — Open Yale Courses and it was just handy to be able to start a lecture playing on my computer so I could do other things while I listened to it. (Like fold all the laundry I washed) And I have a one-year-old son, so I liked being able to still learn even when my hands were full with baby-tending. I didn't even have time to make it through all of these, but I highly recommend them, simply because I know I was able to answer a few questions on the real exam specifically because I watched them. Maybe they will help make your study time a bit more efficient (and interesting) like they did for me.

Feel free to send me a PM or ask me anything about the exam, I'd be more than happy to help someone else not have a panic attack about it like I did.
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Thanks for the responses. I think I will hold out on taking any other psyc exams.

Barbara

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU transcript audit says 13 required credits through TESU? Rteurowise 8 2,118 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU BA PSYCH AOS? Mab81 1 1,276 09-02-2018, 06:52 PM
Last Post: jsd
  TESU "Overflow" Credits mysonx3 5 2,291 08-31-2018, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,700 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,855 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,833 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,180 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,944 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Credits Giantzebra 5 1,617 07-23-2018, 12:50 AM
  Second Bachelor BALS with concentration with the 24 new credits rule posabsolute 1 1,384 07-22-2018, 11:30 PM