Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's a non-awkward way to thank your customer for serving them?
So, in short: Word's coming down that those belonging in my unit now have to thank each and every customer we work with for the opportunity to serve them. I've been doing what research (i.e. googling) I can to find ways to tell someone I'm grateful to assist them, but I'm not finding one that's not awkward/roundabout.

Does anyone here have experience/suggestions of how to do this? It's mostly face-to-face interactions, although I wouldn't be surprised if emails will soon follow.

And for those of you who know me/my background (never mind my username here), yes, it's kind of weird for me, but considering how "civilian" my job is, it's not too hard an adjustment to make. I'm just trying to find something that works easily for everyone involved, as even my customers as of late are weirded out by it (I've experimented with different variations of "thank you sir/ma'am for the opportunity to assist you", but it doesn't feel natural).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8zNsUTWsOc
This reminds me of the "welcome to Peterson" I get from the security forces folks when I come through the gate. I understand the intent, but forcing this stuff makes it sound silly. Commanders should spend more time making sure their troops are happy with their work environment and the pleasantries will come naturally.
"Thank you for the opportunity to do business with you," with a firm handshake (or in an email above your closing signature).

"I appreciate the chance to work with you."

Stuff like that. No need to overthink it, because that is what makes it lack honesty. If you reflect back on previous interactions before this came up, you probably already had some closing appreciation comment you tossed out without thinking about it. Most in a service role do.
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
This is so awkward for any public safety position.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:This is so awkward for any public safety position.

The pilots I have to assist look at me funny every time, especially with how their culture (separate, if you will, from the more uptight regular commissioned officers) is more laid back.

One of them today asked if something was wrong. My supervisor, a civilian who doesn't have to adhere to this, saved me.
What I do as a token of my appreciation to my customers is I usually bring them Krispy Kreme Donuts, pastries, and sometimes ice coffee. I try to fatten them up with food so they won't see me as just a salesperson but a guy who is trying to give them diabetes...kidding.
TESC AA
TESC BA June 2010

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Customer Service Alpha 1 465 08-16-2022, 09:12 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Just because you are a vet or serving currently april004 54 8,683 03-24-2011, 10:31 PM
Last Post: blu2blu