Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quality Comp Sci Programs in Wash. D.C.
Hi,

I recently got a job in D.C. (USA).

My firm is willing to pay for me to get a Masters in Computer Science, something I would love to do. The Masters must be at a school where I can be at the office (I can not work remotely).

What would be the best schools to go to in this case? Maryland & Georgetown are the only reputable ones I know of, so far.

If none of the schools in the D.C. area are good in computer science, that information is helpful too. I would like to avoid getting a degree from non-reputable program.

Thanks!
Well, my definition of reputable is accredited. hilarious Furthermore, I have a strong preference for regional accreditation and lack of bad press. The bad press part eliminates many for-profit schools, so I lean toward non-profit schools. Most of the schools on this list are regionally accredited and non-profit.

https://www.geteducated.com/online-degre...er-science
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Why would you limit yourself to schools in the DC area, when you can get a degree from tons of schools online (not online schools, but B&M schools with good online programs)??
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
grecoroman Wrote:Hi,

I recently got a job in D.C. (USA).

My firm is willing to pay for me to get a Masters in Computer Science, something I would love to do. The Masters must be at a school where I can be at the office (I can not work remotely).

What would be the best schools to go to in this case? Maryland & Georgetown are the only reputable ones I know of, so far.

If none of the schools in the D.C. area are good in computer science, that information is helpful too. I would like to avoid getting a degree from non-reputable program.

Thanks!

Sign me up for the job! I would love to work for your place! I mean, I have never came across a company that would pay you for school while you are at work... how productive! I guess you mean they are paying for your class as long as you're still working with them. I have options similar, my Cisco and Microsoft Certs are paid for as long as I do it NOT on company time, they reimburse me for any passed exams or Certs.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
grecoroman Wrote:Hi,
My firm is willing to pay for me to get a Masters in Computer Science,...

is your job related to computer science ?
if so, what branch ?

some masters programs will have specialties

for example:
https://www.seas.gwu.edu/department-computer-science

Graduate Programs
* Computer Science
* Cybersecurity

Research Areas
* Algorithms and theory
* Artificial intelligence: machine learning, natural language processing, robotics, computer vision, imaging, and data mining
* Computer graphics
* Cybersecurity
* Data science: big data, data mining, machine learning, natural language processing, climate informatics, computer vision
* Networking and mobile computing
* Operating and distributed systems
* Real-time and embedded systems
* Information retrieval
* Software engineering

you might as well take something that you're interested in
bluebooger Wrote:is your job related to computer science ?
if so, what branch ?

some masters programs will have specialties

for example:
https://www.seas.gwu.edu/department-computer-science

Graduate Programs
* Computer Science
* Cybersecurity

Research Areas
* Algorithms and theory
* Artificial intelligence: machine learning, natural language processing, robotics, computer vision, imaging, and data mining
* Computer graphics
* Cybersecurity
* Data science: big data, data mining, machine learning, natural language processing, climate informatics, computer vision
* Networking and mobile computing
* Operating and distributed systems
* Real-time and embedded systems
* Information retrieval
* Software engineering

you might as well take something that you're interested in

The most relevant are, in order:

- * Software engineering
- * Cybersecurity
- * Algorithms and theory
- * Information retrieval

I will make sure to investigate based on branch, thanks!

bjcheung77 Wrote:Sign me up for the job! I would love to work for your place! I mean, I have never came across a company that would pay you for school while you are at work... how productive! I guess you mean they are paying for your class as long as you're still working with them. I have options similar, my Cisco and Microsoft Certs are paid for as long as I do it NOT on company time, they reimburse me for any passed exams or Certs.

Yes, I will not be paid while in class; they will cover tuition expense though; and then I will get paid while I work there.

dfrecore Wrote:Why would you limit yourself to schools in the DC area, when you can get a degree from tons of schools online (not online schools, but B&M schools with good online programs)??

The firm does not feel the online programs are worth it. I knew, for example, Syracuse had an online program that grants a degree equivalent to its in person, but they were not interested in those types of programs.

sanantone Wrote:Well, my definition of reputable is accredited. hilarious Furthermore, I have a strong preference for regional accreditation and lack of bad press. The bad press part eliminates many for-profit schools, so I lean toward non-profit schools. Most of the schools on this list are regionally accredited and non-profit.

https://www.geteducated.com/online-degre...er-science

It does not, or rather should not, be online though. Does a similar metric/list exist for in person?
Sorry. I thought you needed a program that wouldn't interfere with work. In DC, there is Howard University, University of the District of Columbia, and The Catholic University of America.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Are these better than say, George Mason University, Maryland University College Park, Georgetown?
Not better than University of Maryland College Park. None of the schools are ranked in computer science. Overall, College Park is ranked the highest. Howard University and The Catholic University of America are ranked the second highest.

If you want a ranked computer science program, then you can see if you can get into Johns Hopkins or University of Maryland - Baltimore County.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
sanantone Wrote:Not better than University of Maryland College Park. None of the schools are ranked in computer science. Overall, College Park is ranked the highest. Howard University and The Catholic University of America are ranked the second highest.

If you want a ranked computer science program, then you can see if you can get into Johns Hopkins or University of Maryland - Baltimore County.

I appreciate this information.

My issue is my company will only pay for the program if I can attend it will being able to work at the Office (attending it would mean part-time). I go to the office when I do not have class.

Hopkins and Maryland BC are likely too far to commute. The office is located in D.C. I suppose I could try to live at their midpoint, but that may be tough.

Overall, would you say University of Maryland College Park is not a good school for Computer Science?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 23 14,294 03-03-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 2,973 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  South College-CBE Programs JourneyMan 4 355 02-24-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Open University Malaysia has PhD programs below 10k USD nyvrem 2 390 02-19-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: armado
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 520 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  Missouri University now has 100% online master's programs LevelUP 9 1,650 11-05-2023, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Masters-level CBE programs EverSpinning 5 1,421 10-11-2023, 08:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Any Master programs similar to UMPI? Ebroady23 6 1,341 10-04-2023, 04:25 PM
Last Post: xspect
  Completion programs for Business Heartstrings 4 463 10-02-2023, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Heartstrings
  Competency-Based MBA Programs without proctored tests klone 4 803 09-01-2023, 11:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77