Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about ECEs
IRSmart Wrote:I still plan on taking the SAT, it's just not among the top 10 things on my skeletal graduation plan at present. As for the GREs, I would love to knock out a year or two of coursework by passing a couple of them. Too bad some schools don't accept them.

If you want to study for the SAT, I'd say drop it. Why? Because your time would be better spent accumulating credit rapidly. But you say you want to test your logic/reasoning skills? OK. Then study for the GRE. Why? Because it's the same thing as the SAT (older version), and possibly slightly harder. It's redundant to study for the SAT when the time would be better spent on the GRE. Now as far as subject GREs, that probably isn't worth it since most people who do subject GREs already have a strong background in that subject i.e. physics major + physics GRE, or psychology major + GRE and usually junior/senior standing. It could be done, but not worth the time investment compared to the 3 credit exams through CLEPs, DSST, UExcels, etc.

Also, a lot of graduate programs won't care about the GRE. They may have some GPA cutoff, and even then it may not matter as they can make an exception. But if you want to get into a mid to high tier program, then yeah GRE will matter, but you'll have to decide what grad. program is worth it.

I'd say a lot of us who do these programs are doing it for government/military career purposes where where you went doesn't matter as much as having any degree that is properly accredited. As a result, going to Harvard for an MBA won't mean a damn compared to doing it to Alabama School of Business for state/fed/military purposes. Private sector though? You bet.

The problem is that most jobs that are private sector that are worth doing require particular skills i.e. technical and/or with a high enough name. Law school as said before is hard to justify given how crap the market is, etc. If you want to look into private sector, then you'll want to figure out degrees or skill sets have the highest ROI. Those are obviously STEMs, anything for government/military work, computer tech like programming/IT stuff where a degree won't matter as much as what you learn, etc.
IRSmart Wrote:As for the GREs, I would love to knock out a year or two of coursework by passing a couple of them. Too bad some schools don't accept them.

I believe Charter Oak State College is the last RA college in the USA to award any credit for GREs.
cookderosa Wrote:I believe Charter Oak State College is the last RA college in the USA to award any credit for GREs.

Empire State College still awards credit for the GRE Subject Tests.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:Empire State College still awards credit for the GRE Subject Tests.

That's good to know! Does anyone know of any others?
TinHead Wrote:How challenging are the Excelsior exams? I need to take a handful to satisfy my degree and am just wondering what to expect
They're definitely harder than any CLEP or DSST, in my experience, but also definitely doable. Read all the reccomended books and have a very good grasp on the info, and it's pretty straightforward.
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
Westerner Wrote:They're definitely harder than any CLEP or DSST, in my experience, but also definitely doable. Read all the reccomended books and have a very good grasp on the info, and it's pretty straightforward.

There's no need to read the books UExcel recommends at least for the exams that are covered and have favorable feedback from instantcert. Most people find it pretty straightforward using a combo of instantcert flash cards + the 2 practice exams that come with each UExcel + reading what any forum feedback says to focus on as they'll tell you what types of questions will be tested on. That and some decent test taking will at least get you a C, but a B or A is pretty doable especially for a relatively intelligent and motivated student.

I wouldn't say they're significantly "harder" than CLEPs or DSSTs, for most of the business and psych exams at least, they're pretty straightforward and have a lot of overlap with each other. For example) UExcel Human Resource Management, Organizational Behavior, Labor Relations, and then UExcel Psychology of Adulthood/Social Psychology/Foundations of Gerontology.
Kitten has been banned. I was wondering why so quiet.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
Some Asian Kid?! Really?!!
cookderosa Wrote:I believe Charter Oak State College is the last RA college in the USA to award any credit for GREs.
I wish Excelsior still accepted them, but you can't have everything.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,392 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  GPA Question mysonx3 10 2,619 08-26-2018, 11:51 AM
Last Post: katelynn
  Question about TESU UL Requirements mysonx3 1 1,717 08-21-2018, 10:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Equivalency Question dexter1326 4 1,958 08-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  TESU Course equivalency question. jbwyo 6 1,967 08-10-2018, 11:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Individualised Studies Question Tedium 12 2,795 08-01-2018, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  Replacing LL with UL duplicate course question (COSC) ReyMysterioso 6 1,997 07-07-2018, 10:58 AM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC transfer question Paramedic12 8 1,939 06-29-2018, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  TESU Question about recording CLEP exams SamCes 5 1,615 06-29-2018, 08:26 AM
Last Post: mdel210201