Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RBA degree question
Are there any RBA (Regents BA) programs that have easy residency requirements? Non WV resident. Such as the Pierpoint BOG AAS?
I don't think there are any that are as easy/cheap as getting a regular degree (Liberal Studies or otherwise) from UMPI, Excelsior, or even TESU.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
That's right, the RBA degrees require 24 residency credits at the university you plan to finish at. These are "generic degrees" just like the AAS, they may have a concentration or minor, but still not recommended over any of the current options we have. The alternative credit transfer is also limited, not as max as the 113/114 from Excelsior or TESU.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
RBA requires 24 hours of credits to be completed in a West Virginia university or community college. Each of the universities has a requirement which is a subset of these 24. West Virginia University requires 6 hours to be completed there; Marshall requires 3 hours be completed there.  There are other participating universities; these are just the two I have researched. 

If you were starting from 0 credit hours, the best thing would probably be to do a semester at a WV community college.  Last I checked, Southern West Virginia Comm & Tech College had the lowest out of state tuition.  http://archive.southernwv.edu/index.php?q=node/12815

If you did a semester there and took a heavy but not unreasonable load, say 18 hours, that would cost around $2,500 (depending on the courses selected and course fees).

I can’t remember if West Virginia Rocks courses count for the university-specific requirement or the more general 24-hour requirement.  Regardless, they are $250 per hour. So, if you needed 6 hours to get to the 24, that would be another $1,500, so your total to meet the residency requirement would be $4,000.

Marshall’s online tuition with fees is $308.50, so a 3 credit course is $925.50. If WV ricks wouldn’t meet the 3-hour requirement, the cheapest way to meet the Marshall 24-hour residency requirement would be:
$2,500 (community college)
$750 (WV Rocks 3-hour course)
$925.50 (Marshall 3-hour course)

$4,175.50 Total for Marshall residency requirement

For someone who doesn’t have any college credits (or only community college credits), the biggest hurdle would likely be the 39 hour upper-division requirement.  Community college credits are automatically lower level. The schools accept CLEP and DSST exams; CLEP is automatically lower level. DSSTs for Cybersecurity, History of Soviet Union, Money and Banking, and Substance Abuse are upper level.

If you passed those, and assuming the 6 hours above from WV Rocks/Marshall were upper level, you would need 21 additional upper-level hours.  If we assume those will cost you around $200 per hour, that is another $4,200. Added to $4,175.50 above, that gets us to $8,375.50 plus the cost of the DSST exams. Presumably, you could knock out most of the remaining requirement with free/Modern States CLEP exams, but starting from nothing as a non-West Virginian, I don’t see how you earn that degree for less than $8,000.00, and that would require transferring in the remaining 21 UL hours at less that $200 per hour.

Beyond the cost, this is also not a degree that can be done super quickly. For that alone, I think I would prefer a Big 3 or UMPI degree. They also would be the same price or cheaper that the Regents BA AND the Regents BA actually says “Regents BA” on your diploma and transcript. I would much rather have a “regular” degree, but you may have a different opinion. 

One final point—there are a number of certifications that are eligible for RBA credit and there is a portfolio available. To get credit for your cert, you have to pay a fee $300 per cert, if I read it correctly) and who knows how successful/difficult the portfolio would be.

Neat program if you are in WV, have attended a WV public college or university, or have a bunch of UL credit. In those cases, it probably is competitive with Big 3/UMPI from a cost standpoint or potentially even cheaper, but almost certainly slower.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
[-] The following 3 users Like freeloader's post:
  • Ares, FastTrackDegree, staceydiane
(08-20-2022, 07:36 PM)freeloader Wrote: RBA requires 24 hours of credits to be completed in a West Virginia university or community college. Each of the universities has a requirement which is a subset of these 24. West Virginia University requires 6 hours to be completed there; Marshall requires 3 hours be completed there.  There are other participating universities; these are just the two I have researched. 

If you were starting from 0 credit hours, the best thing would probably be to do a semester at a WV community college.  Last I checked, Southern West Virginia Comm & Tech College had the lowest out of state tuition.  http://archive.southernwv.edu/index.php?q=node/12815

If you did a semester there and took a heavy but not unreasonable load, say 18 hours, that would cost around $2,500 (depending on the courses selected and course fees).

I can’t remember if West Virginia Rocks courses count for the university-specific requirement or the more general 24-hour requirement.  Regardless, they are $250 per hour. So, if you needed 6 hours to get to the 24, that would be another $1,500, so your total to meet the residency requirement would be $4,000.

Marshall’s online tuition with fees is $308.50, so a 3 credit course is $925.50. If WV ricks wouldn’t meet the 3-hour requirement, the cheapest way to meet the Marshall 24-hour residency requirement would be:
$2,500 (community college)
$750 (WV Rocks 3-hour course)
$925.50 (Marshall 3-hour course)

$4,175.50 Total for Marshall residency requirement

For someone who doesn’t have any college credits (or only community college credits), the biggest hurdle would likely be the 39 hour upper-division requirement.  Community college credits are automatically lower level. The schools accept CLEP and DSST exams; CLEP is automatically lower level. DSSTs for Cybersecurity, History of Soviet Union, Money and Banking, and Substance Abuse are upper level.

If you passed those, and assuming the 6 hours above from WV Rocks/Marshall were upper level, you would need 21 additional upper-level hours.  If we assume those will cost you around $200 per hour, that is another $4,200. Added to $4,175.50 above, that gets us to $8,375.50 plus the cost of the DSST exams. Presumably, you could knock out most of the remaining requirement with free/Modern States CLEP exams, but starting from nothing as a non-West Virginian, I don’t see how you earn that degree for less than $8,000.00, and that would require transferring in the remaining 21 UL hours at less that $200 per hour.

Beyond the cost, this is also not a degree that can be done super quickly. For that alone, I think I would prefer a Big 3 or UMPI degree. They also would be the same price or cheaper that the Regents BA AND the Regents BA actually says “Regents BA” on your diploma and transcript. I would much rather have a “regular” degree, but you may have a different opinion. 

One final point—there are a number of certifications that are eligible for RBA credit and there is a portfolio available. To get credit for your cert, you have to pay a fee $300 per cert, if I read it correctly) and who knows how successful/difficult the portfolio would be.

Neat program if you are in WV, have attended a WV public college or university, or have a bunch of UL credit. In those cases, it probably is competitive with Big 3/UMPI from a cost standpoint or potentially even cheaper, but almost certainly slower.
Thank you for the research! I will let my friend know that this isn’t an easy route, unless of course you are a WV resident, then it’s less complicated.
Definitely tell your friend that they're better off getting a Liberal Studies degree from one of the schools we recommend here. It'lll be easier, cheaper, and faster in 99.9% of cases.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • midnite123
If one resides outside of WV what's the point of an RBA? Why not just go for a BA?
ss20ts Wrote:If one resides outside of WV what's the point of an RBA? Why not just go for a BA?

Just like the BOG AAS, these are supposed to be terminal degrees.  These allow people who have the BOG AAS to ladder into a Bachelors, the reason a BA/BS might not be suitable are the requirements for that degree, this allows the full or max use of "non RA" credits.  I think it's still a good idea to review what options are available before going the RBA route. 

The ROI/Value of the Regent BA isn't as good as the Big 3 or CBE. An example is from Marshall University: https://www.marshall.edu/rba/
Here's another example at WVUP: https://www.wvup.edu/future-students/aca.../#Programs
There are differences between the RBA's at WV universities, Marshall just requires 15 UL, WVUP requires 39 UL.

(08-21-2022, 12:28 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
ss20ts Wrote:If one resides outside of WV what's the point of an RBA? Why not just go for a BA?

Just like the BOG AAS, these are supposed to be terminal degrees.  These allow people who have the BOG AAS to ladder into a Bachelors, the reason a BA/BS might not be suitable are the requirements for that degree, this allows the full or max use of "non RA" credits.  I think it's still a good idea to review what options are available before going the RBA route. 

The ROI/Value of the Regent BA isn't as good as the Big 3 or CBE. An example is from Marshall University: https://www.marshall.edu/rba/
Here's another example at WVUP: https://www.wvup.edu/future-students/aca.../#Programs
There are differences between the RBA's at WV universities, Marshall just requires 15 UL, WVUP requires 39 UL.

Terminal degrees is a meaningless phrase. I have a terminal degree. My BLS from UMPI is a terminal degree. Means nothing! I went to grad school with it. 

No one outsides of WV has any idea what a Regents Bachelor of Arts is! There are plenty of programs on this forum where one with a BOG AAS can transfer to. We see people do it every day.
Yup, that's why I mentioned it's "supposed" to be. Each university you transfer to will look at courses differently. Again, I don't think the RBA has the ROI/Value as the 3 or CBE programs that are currently available. It won't be nearly as cheap, easy, or fast to complete the remaining credits available or transfer them in.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 691 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 290 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 649 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,806 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 578 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 516 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 290 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 880 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,252 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,846 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74