Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Random Extra-$ idea for those that have acquired their BA
Just a random idea to earn a little extra money on the side after you finish your BA.

You can look up what your state's requirements are to become a substitute teacher, fulfill those requirements (background check, application, a certain test, etc), and apply to be included in a substitute teacher pool at various public schools in your county.

If your work schedule is 9-5, you may have a day off that the school does not. Or the school may have weekend or night classes that you could do after your normal job.
If you have a flexible work schedule, you can have some room open for random days to sub.
It's also just a good thing to have as a backup.
Even with the most secure job fields, you never know if one day you might be laid off. It's a good fallback to have in case you ever need to do it more than you feel like.

Of course being a sub isn't for everybody. I can't I fully enjoy it as much as my other job, but it's also new to me and I work in a crappy school district so the students are more outta control than what's typical. But it's extra $ in the bank at the end of the day.

For those that always to teach but bailed out for whatever reason, you can still do SOMEthing in that field on the side to make a lil extra $ and/or to have as a nice backup for work if the worst ever hits your front door. Smile
great idea! Thanks.
Although money isn't everything, substitute teaching at public schools in my region pays about $9/hour. This would certainly be useful as a resume-booster for someone interested in teaching, who had no other related experience. But, since you mentioned that this is good for extra money, I'd certainly consider something more fiscally worthwhile.

dmjacobsen http://donaldjacobsen.com
Author, nurse, and all-around awesome guy
MSN Executive Leadership - The University of Memphis - 2016
MBA Healthcare Management - Western Governors University - 2015
I looked this up in my state (NC). So, if a person goes through the licensure process, the pay is a flat rate of $90 per day. If a person opts to not complete licensure (holds a BA and passes background check) the pay is flat rate of $75 per day.
Here in my area, it's $115/day for M-Th, and $120/day for Fri or Special Ed.

That being said, you couldn't pay me enough to be a substitute teacher. I homeschool my kids, and that's plenty. When I go back to work, it will be in an office full of adults.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I live in New York City

They could pay me $1000 a day and I would still NEVER take a job as a substitute teacher in a NYC public school.

I've tried volunteering as an assistant GED tutor in NYC and also as a middle school tutor.
Both experiences have sucked majorly.
Can you you do sub teaching online with a BA only? I looked at Connections Academy but they seem to require a license. Any other ideas for online work in the education field that would only require a BA?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kids Idea Tank Alpha 0 773 04-02-2021, 07:50 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Extra grad credits on resumes Ideas 5 1,870 02-08-2019, 08:01 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  New Search Feature Idea - by Degree? keepsingin 7 1,508 06-22-2016, 10:01 PM
  Random Act of Kindness mrs.b 2 680 04-06-2014, 06:12 PM
Last Post: Lindagerr
  Idea for topic -- traditional schools that take CLE CLEP_enthusiast 7 1,527 09-11-2013, 09:11 AM
  Trying to Rewrite History...Good Idea or Bad Idea? marianne202 6 1,408 07-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Last Post: LaterBloomer
  Okay, so here's an idea... Publius 0 538 06-08-2012, 11:17 PM
Last Post: Publius
  if anybody wants a little extra help kevinmanemane 0 864 06-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Last Post: kevinmanemane
  A profitable online business idea for busy distance-learning students Levi 0 1,044 01-15-2009, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Levi
  Idea Straydog 7 1,963 09-07-2006, 12:04 AM
Last Post: Straydog