Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rasmussen College competency based MPH
I also keep my eyes open. It should be more cost effective than the BU's new online MPH.
But for 24k, BU is a much better name and CEPH accredited, which might increase the utility of the degree.
I was thinking the same thing, Boston University has a better name/recognition... for that price of $24K, it's hard to beat!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(12-18-2021, 02:55 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I was thinking the same thing, Boston University has a better name/recognition... for that price of $24K, it's hard to beat!

Agreed. My decision was based primarily on the fact that I am enrolled in ATSU'S  DHSc program, and can only get federal student aid for one program at a time. I will be paying out of pocket for my MPH and chose the least expensive option as my state health department does not require CEPH accreditation.  My decision was between Rasmussen and Columbia Southern, but I chose Rasmussen due to its regional accreditation versus CSU being DEAC only (which my state also recognizes)
[-] The following 2 users Like Popestt's post:
  • ashkir, DeanLewis
(12-20-2021, 12:40 AM)Popestt Wrote:
(12-18-2021, 02:55 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I was thinking the same thing, Boston University has a better name/recognition... for that price of $24K, it's hard to beat!

Agreed. My decision was based primarily on the fact that I am enrolled in ATSU'S  DHSc program, and can only get federal student aid for one program at a time. I will be paying out of pocket for my MPH and chose the least expensive option as my state health department does not require CEPH accreditation.  My decision was between Rasmussen and Columbia Southern, but I chose Rasmussen due to its regional accreditation versus CSU being DEAC only (which my state also recognizes)

I believe anyone in an accredited program can sit for the CPH anyways. So as long as you learn the contents to get a CPH license I think you're good.
(12-20-2021, 08:57 AM)ashkir Wrote:
(12-20-2021, 12:40 AM)Popestt Wrote:

I believe anyone in an accredited program can sit for the CPH anyways. So as long as you learn the contents to get a CPH license I think you're good.
I did find this program in Mexico that is CEPH accredited, taught in Spanish, for $12,770 

ESPM – Escuela de Salud Pública de México

Unfortunately, the job postings in my state list the regional accreditors or DEAC as being required, I'm not sure if they would accept a foreign evaluation as equivalent or not.

Also for anyone who is interested, I came across this CEPH accredited MPH at Georgia Southern for $277 per credit hour. (45 credit hours total). that's the cheapest american CEPH accredited MPH I have seen.
Looks like CEPH is required if you want to sit that exam based on education alone. With a non-CEPH degree you have to document some years of experience.
(12-16-2021, 11:33 AM)Popestt Wrote:
(12-16-2021, 10:13 AM)newdegree Wrote: Would like to know what you think of the classes? How is the workload since it is competency-based. Is it more paper writing, exam-based, small assignments, or a mix?
I will begin on January 3rd. I did my MBA at WGU and love competency based learning. I am hoping for a similar format. I will try to provide a good overview of the program once I get access to the coursework.

Did you begin the classes on January 03? How are the syllabus and assignments required?
Degrees In Progress:
EVMS Doctor of Health Science
Completed Degrees:
Doctor of Healthcare Administration Dec 2021 
Masters of Business Administration July 2022
Masters of Public Administration '19
Masters of Arts in Urban Affairs '17
Masters of Arts in Criminal Justice '16
Bachelors of Science in Police Studies '14
Advanced Graduate Certificate in Criminal Investigations '15
(01-05-2022, 05:25 PM)newdegree Wrote:
(12-16-2021, 10:13 AM)newdegree Wrote: Would like to know what you think of the classes? How is the workload since it is competency-based. Is it more paper writing, exam-based, small assignments, or a mix?
I will begin on January 3rd. I did my MBA at WGU and love competency based learning. I am hoping for a similar format. I will try to provide a good overview of the program once I get access to the coursework.

Did you begin the classes on January 03? How are the syllabus and assignments required?

I did. I have completed the first assignment in my Population health class, and got  a 4/4. The assignment was a powerpoint presentation Community Health Needs Assessment which emphasized the Key Performance Indicators. The rubric basically assigns 4 points for each requirement, and whichever requirement you get the lowest score on ends up being your final grade. They give you 3 attempts to submit it. Since I did my MBA at WGU, I am very familiar with using the rubric to create the assignment and it was not hard. I have, however, already taken population health as part of my doctorate program, so this is not new material for me. (Rassmussen would only let me transfer in 2 classes, so I decided to transfer in the classes that I enjoyed the least).

The other class I am taking is "Essentials of Public Health". I submitted my first assignment last night, but have not received my evaluation yet. It was a 25-30 minute powerpoint presentation, complete with speaker notes and recorded audio, giving a presentation on the key functions, people, events and major diseases covered in public health. 

I have been happy with the way that the courses are laid out. They give a short recorded introduction to the unit, a reading assignment that takes about 20-30 minutes, a few comprehension quizzes, and then another reading assignment.  I have come across a broken link here and there in the outside resources, but that happened at WGU from time to time too. 

The professors do a weekly live class, which is recorded for those who can't attend. The classes are very similar to WGU's live classes and focus on the course concepts, with a good overview of what is expected in the assignment. The assignments, however, are not evaluated by the professor, but instead by an evaluation team (a la WGU). This is the first degree that I am doing with a for-profit school, but so far I am very pleased and feel like the education is just as high-quality as what I got at WGU, and if I am being honest, I have learned more from online competency based education than I did in my 4 years at Auburn University (War Eagle!).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Popestt's post:
  • newdegree
(01-11-2022, 10:39 PM)Popestt Wrote:
(01-05-2022, 05:25 PM)newdegree Wrote:

I did. I have completed the first assignment in my Population health class, and got  a 4/4. The assignment was a powerpoint presentation Community Health Needs Assessment which emphasized the Key Performance Indicators. The rubric basically assigns 4 points for each requirement, and whichever requirement you get the lowest score on ends up being your final grade. They give you 3 attempts to submit it. Since I did my MBA at WGU, I am very familiar with using the rubric to create the assignment and it was not hard. I have, however, already taken population health as part of my doctorate program, so this is not new material for me. (Rassmussen would only let me transfer in 2 classes, so I decided to transfer in the classes that I enjoyed the least).

The other class I am taking is "Essentials of Public Health". I submitted my first assignment last night, but have not received my evaluation yet. It was a 25-30 minute powerpoint presentation, complete with speaker notes and recorded audio, giving a presentation on the key functions, people, events and major diseases covered in public health. 

I have been happy with the way that the courses are laid out. They give a short recorded introduction to the unit, a reading assignment that takes about 20-30 minutes, a few comprehension quizzes, and then another reading assignment.  I have come across a broken link here and there in the outside resources, but that happened at WGU from time to time too. 

The professors do a weekly live class, which is recorded for those who can't attend. The classes are very similar to WGU's live classes and focus on the course concepts, with a good overview of what is expected in the assignment. The assignments, however, are not evaluated by the professor, but instead by an evaluation team (a la WGU). This is the first degree that I am doing with a for-profit school, but so far I am very pleased and feel like the education is just as high-quality as what I got at WGU, and if I am being honest, I have learned more from online competency based education than I did in my 4 years at Auburn University (War Eagle!).

Thank you for the feedback. I look forward in the future to joining this program one day. Keep us posted we are curious to learn more about the classes and work assignments
Degrees In Progress:
EVMS Doctor of Health Science
Completed Degrees:
Doctor of Healthcare Administration Dec 2021 
Masters of Business Administration July 2022
Masters of Public Administration '19
Masters of Arts in Urban Affairs '17
Masters of Arts in Criminal Justice '16
Bachelors of Science in Police Studies '14
Advanced Graduate Certificate in Criminal Investigations '15
[-] The following 1 user Likes newdegree's post:
  • ashkir

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SMC name change to Signum Magnum College - Free MBA?! bjcheung77 6 654 04-03-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: cacoleman1983
  South College Developing CBE Master's in Criminal Justice Jonathan Whatley 2 263 03-18-2024, 03:29 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Thumbs Up Will graduate schools in the United States and abroad accept an online college degree shoron 47 6,655 01-15-2024, 11:18 PM
  South College Announces Executive MBA Darknigh7 11 903 01-03-2024, 05:16 PM
  Medical School, AMCAS, Prerequisites, Pass or fail, online college, etc... CanICode 22 3,647 10-18-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: CanICode
  Is Xenophon College London legit? SkintGradStudent 11 2,483 10-04-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: diletta_don
  Competency-Based MBA Programs without proctored tests klone 4 880 09-01-2023, 11:06 PM
  Southwestern College & New Earth Institute (Art Therapy, Consiousness MAs) ashkir 23 3,139 09-01-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Coursed Based Masters In IT SWE CS IS MIS ITM? sam98 13 1,155 08-16-2023, 07:53 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  CBE Masters in IT Management from South College EverSpinning 14 1,036 08-13-2023, 05:31 PM
Last Post: EverSpinning