Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rasmussen College competency based MPH
(01-12-2022, 02:26 PM)newdegree Wrote:
(01-11-2022, 10:39 PM)Popestt Wrote:
(01-05-2022, 05:25 PM)newdegree Wrote:
(12-16-2021, 11:33 AM)Popestt Wrote:
(12-16-2021, 10:13 AM)newdegree Wrote: Would like to know what you think of the classes? How is the workload since it is competency-based. Is it more paper writing, exam-based, small assignments, or a mix?
I will begin on January 3rd. I did my MBA at WGU and love competency based learning. I am hoping for a similar format. I will try to provide a good overview of the program once I get access to the coursework.

Did you begin the classes on January 03? How are the syllabus and assignments required?

I did. I have completed the first assignment in my Population health class, and got  a 4/4. The assignment was a powerpoint presentation Community Health Needs Assessment which emphasized the Key Performance Indicators. The rubric basically assigns 4 points for each requirement, and whichever requirement you get the lowest score on ends up being your final grade. They give you 3 attempts to submit it. Since I did my MBA at WGU, I am very familiar with using the rubric to create the assignment and it was not hard. I have, however, already taken population health as part of my doctorate program, so this is not new material for me. (Rassmussen would only let me transfer in 2 classes, so I decided to transfer in the classes that I enjoyed the least).

The other class I am taking is "Essentials of Public Health". I submitted my first assignment last night, but have not received my evaluation yet. It was a 25-30 minute powerpoint presentation, complete with speaker notes and recorded audio, giving a presentation on the key functions, people, events and major diseases covered in public health. 

I have been happy with the way that the courses are laid out. They give a short recorded introduction to the unit, a reading assignment that takes about 20-30 minutes, a few comprehension quizzes, and then another reading assignment.  I have come across a broken link here and there in the outside resources, but that happened at WGU from time to time too. 

The professors do a weekly live class, which is recorded for those who can't attend. The classes are very similar to WGU's live classes and focus on the course concepts, with a good overview of what is expected in the assignment. The assignments, however, are not evaluated by the professor, but instead by an evaluation team (a la WGU). This is the first degree that I am doing with a for-profit school, but so far I am very pleased and feel like the education is just as high-quality as what I got at WGU, and if I am being honest, I have learned more from online competency based education than I did in my 4 years at Auburn University (War Eagle!).

Thank you for the feedback. I look forward in the future to joining this program one day. Keep us posted we are curious to learn more about the classes and work assignments
I am a few weeks into the program now and wanted to give a little bit of update on the course assignments. The assignments are significant, and grading is strict. In the 4 assignments that I have completed, I have spent somewhere around 4-5 hours per assignment, and had to make revisions on 3 of them to get a passing score (keeping a high GPA is important to me, so I revise every detail that they mention in order to get an A on each assignment). The course is certainly more rigorous than my MBA from WGU. Each assignment compares in length and work to the work at WGU, but WGU typically only required between 1-4 assignments per class, or in some cases just an exam, rather than the 7 required at Rasmussen. Teachers are responsive and well qualified. I have noticed several grammatical errors in some of the provided lesson material (it seems as though it is being written the way people speak, rather than in formal language, such as using prepositions at the end of sentences, etc) this does not distract from the quality of the information being delivered, however.  I am still impressed with the program and think that it complements the D.H.Sc program at A.T. Still very well, as much of the curriculum overlaps. This gives me more confidence in the work that I produce for my doctorate. I will finish the MPH in the same month that I begin my Applied Research Project at ATSU and expect the extra knowledge will help me immensely in designing my project.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Popestt's post:
  • newdegree
(01-27-2022, 03:23 PM)Popestt Wrote:
(01-05-2022, 05:25 PM)newdegree Wrote:
(12-16-2021, 11:33 AM)Popestt Wrote: I will begin on January 3rd. I did my MBA at WGU and love competency based learning. I am hoping for a similar format. I will try to provide a good overview of the program once I get access to the coursework.

Did you begin the classes on January 03? How are the syllabus and assignments required?

I did. I have completed the first assignment in my Population health class, and got  a 4/4. The assignment was a powerpoint presentation Community Health Needs Assessment which emphasized the Key Performance Indicators. The rubric basically assigns 4 points for each requirement, and whichever requirement you get the lowest score on ends up being your final grade. They give you 3 attempts to submit it. Since I did my MBA at WGU, I am very familiar with using the rubric to create the assignment and it was not hard. I have, however, already taken population health as part of my doctorate program, so this is not new material for me. (Rassmussen would only let me transfer in 2 classes, so I decided to transfer in the classes that I enjoyed the least).

The other class I am taking is "Essentials of Public Health". I submitted my first assignment last night, but have not received my evaluation yet. It was a 25-30 minute powerpoint presentation, complete with speaker notes and recorded audio, giving a presentation on the key functions, people, events and major diseases covered in public health. 

I have been happy with the way that the courses are laid out. They give a short recorded introduction to the unit, a reading assignment that takes about 20-30 minutes, a few comprehension quizzes, and then another reading assignment.  I have come across a broken link here and there in the outside resources, but that happened at WGU from time to time too. 

The professors do a weekly live class, which is recorded for those who can't attend. The classes are very similar to WGU's live classes and focus on the course concepts, with a good overview of what is expected in the assignment. The assignments, however, are not evaluated by the professor, but instead by an evaluation team (a la WGU). This is the first degree that I am doing with a for-profit school, but so far I am very pleased and feel like the education is just as high-quality as what I got at WGU, and if I am being honest, I have learned more from online competency based education than I did in my 4 years at Auburn University (War Eagle!).

Thank you for the feedback. I look forward in the future to joining this program one day. Keep us posted we are curious to learn more about the classes and work assignments
I am a few weeks into the program now and wanted to give a little bit of update on the course assignments. The assignments are significant, and grading is strict. In the 4 assignments that I have completed, I have spent somewhere around 4-5 hours per assignment, and had to make revisions on 3 of them to get a passing score (keeping a high GPA is important to me, so I revise every detail that they mention in order to get an A on each assignment). The course is certainly more rigorous than my MBA from WGU. Each assignment compares in length and work to the work at WGU, but WGU typically only required between 1-4 assignments per class, or in some cases just an exam, rather than the 7 required at Rasmussen. Teachers are responsive and well qualified. I have noticed several grammatical errors in some of the provided lesson material (it seems as though it is being written the way people speak, rather than in formal language, such as using prepositions at the end of sentences, etc) this does not distract from the quality of the information being delivered, however.  I am still impressed with the program and think that it complements the D.H.Sc program at A.T. Still very well, as much of the curriculum overlaps. This gives me more confidence in the work that I produce for my doctorate. I will finish the MPH in the same month that I begin my Applied Research Project at ATSU and expect the extra knowledge will help me immensely in designing my project.

how is the program going? Just checking in to follow up
Degrees In Progress:
EVMS Doctor of Health Science
Completed Degrees:
Doctor of Healthcare Administration Dec 2021 
Masters of Business Administration July 2022
Masters of Public Administration '19
Masters of Arts in Urban Affairs '17
Masters of Arts in Criminal Justice '16
Bachelors of Science in Police Studies '14
Advanced Graduate Certificate in Criminal Investigations '15
[-] The following 1 user Likes newdegree's post:
  • ashkir
(06-24-2022, 04:08 PM)newdegree Wrote:
(01-27-2022, 03:23 PM)Popestt Wrote:
(01-05-2022, 05:25 PM)newdegree Wrote: Did you begin the classes on January 03? How are the syllabus and assignments required?

how is the program going? Just checking in to follow up

It's going very well! Most of my classes have been taught by Dr Brendalee Viveros, who is very knowledgeable and more than willing to help with any questions you have. She pays close attention to assignments to make sure that they are done correctly, and gives great feedback. So far, I am very impressed with the quality and cost of the program. Rasmussen doesn't give me the "used car salesman" vibe that I get from many for-profit schools. My first Masters was from WGU, and I would consider Rasmussen to be of the same quality, but with more interaction with the professors.
[-] The following 2 users Like Popestt's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, newdegree
Just wanted to chime in with an update. I just completed my MPH practicum. I was able to obtain employment with the State of Alabama Department of Public Health since starting my MPH, and completed my practicum with them as well. I have 2 final courses (governance and policy, and my capstone) to complete the degree. I have enjoyed the experience. The assignments are rigorous, and each course is a bit more intensive than my MBa at WGU. I should graduate on September 16th.
[-] The following 3 users Like Popestt's post:
  • CatsDomino, Jonathan Whatley, ss20ts
@Popestt, that's great news on coming so close to finishing. Wow, seems like an alright program, there are only a few selections for CBE MPH's, I think Walden has one that's a MHA and a couple more similar programs out there...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Just wanted to give a final update. I completed my MPH yesterday, and really only have positive things to say about my experience with Rasmussen. I have already completed my Bachelor's at a public state university, my MBA at WGU, and am 6 months away from finishing my DHSc at A.T. Still, and, since Rasmussen is the only degree from a for-profit school, I was interested in whether I would perceive much of a difference in the experience. I can say, I learned more at Rasmussen than I did at WGU for my MBA. That may be simply because I did my MBA in a single term. The program at Rasmussen was rigorous. It included both a practicum, and a capstone course at the end. Dr. Viveiros was my professor in about half of the classes, and she always had great constructive criticism for my work. I definitely had to earn my grades. If anyone is looking for a CBE MPH, and does not require CEPH accreditation (my state only requires accreditation from an agency recognized by the Dept of education), I 100% recommend taking a look at Rasmussen's program.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SMC name change to Signum Magnum College - Free MBA?! bjcheung77 6 655 04-03-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: cacoleman1983
  South College Developing CBE Master's in Criminal Justice Jonathan Whatley 2 264 03-18-2024, 03:29 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Thumbs Up Will graduate schools in the United States and abroad accept an online college degree shoron 47 6,657 01-15-2024, 11:18 PM
  South College Announces Executive MBA Darknigh7 11 903 01-03-2024, 05:16 PM
  Medical School, AMCAS, Prerequisites, Pass or fail, online college, etc... CanICode 22 3,656 10-18-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: CanICode
  Is Xenophon College London legit? SkintGradStudent 11 2,490 10-04-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: diletta_don
  Competency-Based MBA Programs without proctored tests klone 4 880 09-01-2023, 11:06 PM
  Southwestern College & New Earth Institute (Art Therapy, Consiousness MAs) ashkir 23 3,142 09-01-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Coursed Based Masters In IT SWE CS IS MIS ITM? sam98 13 1,157 08-16-2023, 07:53 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  CBE Masters in IT Management from South College EverSpinning 14 1,038 08-13-2023, 05:31 PM
Last Post: EverSpinning