Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re-application Shenanigans
Great news! The Provost approved my appeal! I’m actually going to get to finish this!

They confirmed my CSM online, and I got an e-mail confirmation yesterday that SDC mailed them my transcript, so that’s on the way.

Now I just need to get this Sophia transcript merger figured out, and I should be good to go. I called them yesterday and they told me to talk to Parchment. That doesn’t seem right though because the e-mail from Parchment said the hold was placed by Sophia.

But, hey! We’re on the way! I’m so flipping excited!
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
[-] The following 3 users Like Tedium's post:
  • carrythenothing, rachel83az, ss20ts
Congrats! Yes, I don't know why, I feel the excitement too seeing you so close to finishing! We'll cheer you on from the side lines...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Tedium
So, I finally got Sophia to just transfer the 10 courses I took with my main e-mail address. It's sent and waiting to be opened by COSC! That means I'm just waiting receipt of Study.com transcripts. That was sent last week, so I'm thinking tomorrow or the next day. Those aren't really required to graduate, but I opened my big mouth and told them to expect them, so here we are. lol

As soon as the Registrar is done with my evaluation, I'll post here if there is anything that came in a different way than anticipated. I don't know if anyone in the future will use COSC from this forum since they made all the changes, but it can't hurt to have one last up-to-date evaluation.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:

COMPLETED:
GED (11/16/2004)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tedium's post:
  • ss20ts
Did you take any of Sophia's newer courses or is it all older courses that should, in theory, have known transfer equivalencies already?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Nah, just the older stuff. Figured it wouldn’t hurt anything just to list it.

Like I said, no telling when the next opportunity will be.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:

COMPLETED:
GED (11/16/2004)
  • rachel83az
Heyyyy!!!1

Quote:Dear Tedium,

Congratulations! On behalf of the Undergraduate Admissions Committee at Charter Oak State College, I am very pleased to offer you admission to our Bachelor's in Individualized Studies - General Studies.

It is my sincere hope that you enjoy a transformative educational experience with us that surpasses both your personal and professional goals.

We're currently creating your advising worksheet. It should be ready in 7-10 business days and will be emailed to you by your Admission's Counselor
I mean, I knew I was going to be re-admitted once the hold was lifted, but it's at least a sign of continued movement, ya know? Also, they still have Individualized Studies instead of Liberal Studies. I'll e-mail Admissions about that. 

Now we just play the waiting game some more with the Registrar. I'm hoping she doesn't take the full 10 days. I'm hopeful though because everything has been running as fast and smoothly as can be expected for a small school so far. 
One little hiccup: I can't stop clicking refresh on the admission portal and my e-mail. I was searching the forum because at some point someone had posted a database of theses (I think it's here, FYI, unless anyone knows of some others: https://www.ebsco.com/products/research-...sertations), and I came across an olddddd post from, I believe, 2013. The person was trying to get their concentrations for the BALS approved at EC, and they were actually denied due to a lack of depth in their concentration. Then I started freaking out. 
I really need to just stop thinking about it.  Rolleyes
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:

COMPLETED:
GED (11/16/2004)
  • ss20ts
A few new developments:

Got my e-mail and login credentials. Progress!

I asked admissions about the lack of a Liberal Studies option when I applied, so there would not be any confusion about my English/History combo, and I got this in response:

Quote: Good morning Tedium. The Liberal Studies option is being discontinued because Liberal Studies and Individualized Studies are basically the same thing, so having both was confusing to students. Both are General Studies majors.

Makes sense to me. A lot of other schools do the same thing. Just thought you all would like to know so we can change our terminology in case new students get confused. Still waiting on my evaluation. I expect that to be complete next week.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:

COMPLETED:
GED (11/16/2004)
Got my degree audit back. Sad

I met all the requirements except for Free Electives, Upper Division, CPS (Concentration Plan of Study), and Capstone. 

Free Electives (21/33):
This one is easy enough to explain. They left off these courses on my audit, even though they said they received the transcripts:

-CSM
-SDC x2 courses (Communication 120, Business 109)
-Sophia x3 courses (Visual Communications, Project Management, Conflict Resolution)

Add to that a loss of 7 credits from FEMA, 3 from ALEKS, 1 from NFA, and 2 from the Institutes, and the fact that not all of the Sophia courses I took are transferable, and that explains that. I've e-mailed my counselor and I will hopefully get those 6 courses they left off added to my audit. 

Capstone (0/3):
Haven't taken it yet. Enough said. 

CPS (0/36):
Haven't developed it yet. Easy enough. Once I do, my UL and LL English and History courses will go here. Easy fix. 

Upper Division (25/30):
Can I tell y'all that this one hit hard? I was pretty pissed when I first saw it, but then it all started coming back to me. See, I forgot to save a Degree Audit from my last attendance, so I've just been looking at my transcripts. That tells me what credits they accepted, but not necessarily where they fell in my degree plan. I have 3 Survey of literature courses that NSU listed as 300-level, and that's what me and everyone else on the board have been counting toward my UL course requirements. Except those courses come in as 200-level at COSC. Then I remembered that the semester I left I was taking Shakespeare and the Capstone, so at the time they must have made the same determination about the 3 survey courses. Now, I'm not taking the Shakespeare, so I'm short 3 UL credits. 

So, I have a few options. I successfully petitioned for my 400-level Literary Criticism course to come in as UL, even though the course was 200-level at COSC in 2012. I already asked in my response if they would make an exception. We'll see, but I'm not super hopeful. 

My other option is to break out my old study material for the History of the Soviet Union DSST. Snazzlefrag returns! This really isn't going to be too bad. This exam actually falls in line with my Capstone paper on the Cold War, so it's not that far out of my way. I had already read Michael Kort's The Soviet Colossus in 2015, and went through the InstantCert flashcards a few times, when I was first studying for the exam. Here's what I'm using to study for this exam this time:

-Michael Kort's The Soviet Colossus
-Snazzlefrag's notes (even though the exam's been refreshed it's better than nothing) 
-The Great Course Lectures (The Rise and Fall of Soviet Communism, Communism in Power, The Rise of Communism, A History of Russia)[You may be able to tell I was already interested in the subject lol]
-Various free flashcard sets available online
-Might even get another month of InstantCert to study their cards and the exam-specific forum for old-time's sake lol

Probably overkill, but I'm not going to let this little bump derail my positive momentum. Plus, I find the subject interesting. And I will continue fleshing out my Capstone paper. Not really any time or energy lost. Just a little bit more money to pay for my DSST.

I also asked how long I could delay my enrollment, so we'll see what they come back with. 

As always, our mantra is: GET. IT. DONE.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:

COMPLETED:
GED (11/16/2004)
Would the World Population UExcel fit in your degree plan (or have you already taken it)? It is also UL https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...20pdf2.pdf and is supposedly pretty easy https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UExcel_Exams There is also World Conflicts Since 1900. I mention these because they should be more convenient to take than a DSST.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Tedium
I’ve taken the Social Psychology and World Conflicts Since 1900 UExcels already.

I agree with you that taking the World Population UExcel would be a heck of a lot easier for me. Time and driving distance would be shorter for sure. I had read that it was easy, as well, so that helps.

I’m down for whatever, really. I’ll give it a shot. It comes in as Sociology, but it hits the same b, n, and g as World Conflicts since 1900.

I have 15 UL English and 3 UL History, so that’s the required 18 UL for the major. I should have more than enough LL to get me to 36 without even counting the Capstone, so it would shouldn’t matter what World Population comes in as.

So, it won’t be part of my CPS, but I shouldn’t need it to be. I just need it to be UL. I’m going to go for it. Thank you very much for the suggestion! I think you just saved me quite a bit of time!

If that doesn’t work there is always SDC or ONU. Those will be slow, but I won’t need to leave my house. I’ll try for the UExcel first because it’s the fastest. I’ll get it one way or another!
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:

COMPLETED:
GED (11/16/2004)
  • rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin Can you help me with a COSC Application Fee Waiver Code? BlueSapphire 12 2,650 12-10-2021, 12:08 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC. Application and transcripts Seagull 10 2,064 12-17-2020, 10:40 PM
Last Post: Seagull
  COSC referral code for application fee waiver Lewis.Yim 8 2,552 12-11-2020, 05:44 PM
Last Post: adegree4me
  COSC application fee waiver SDO 0 1,049 10-20-2020, 11:22 AM
Last Post: SDO
  COSC application waiver fee Gradgreat 0 957 09-29-2020, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Gradgreat
  Charter Oak Application Time Table nilahti2 3 1,646 09-21-2020, 09:16 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  COSC REFERRAL CODE FOR APPLICATION nilahti2 6 1,822 06-02-2020, 12:18 AM
Last Post: GreggT67
  COSC Application Fee waive code BrendaB 1 1,148 06-01-2020, 03:18 PM
Last Post: akr680
  Charter Oaks Application Fee nilahti2 3 1,369 01-03-2020, 05:20 PM
Last Post: dharmastudios
  Anyone know if there is a COSC application fee waiver or coupon? JoshDosMil 2 1,447 09-13-2018, 01:43 PM
Last Post: JoshDosMil