Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommendation for IT Certificate.
I am looking for an IT Certification course up to $5k(grant).  My knowledge in IT is an A+ level.  I don't want to do coding.  I thought about Cloud Computing. Any recommendations for online school or certificate?
Completed:
TESU - BSBA General Management (2021)
TESU - ASNSM Computer Science (2021)

IT Certificates:
A+, N+, S+, AWS Cloud Pract
That really depends exactly on why you want it and what you hope to gain out of it. You can get the IT Support Professional certificate for cheap on Coursera but that's pretty entry-level.

If you're in the US, you can pay $150 for a month of WGU Academy and they'll cover the cost of one COMPTIA A+ certification test (plus, you get study materials). https://academy.wgu.edu/program/it?degree=it COMPTIA A+ exam is normally $226 in the US: https://www.comptia.org/testing/exam-vou...ices#aplus

What will your grant cover? Any IT certification course from anywhere?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Pikachu
(12-15-2020, 11:16 AM)rachel83az Wrote: That really depends exactly on why you want it and what you hope to gain out of it. You can get the IT Support Professional certificate for cheap on Coursera but that's pretty entry-level.  

If you're in the US, you can pay $150 for a month of WGU Academy and they'll cover the cost of one COMPTIA A+ certification test (plus, you get study materials). https://academy.wgu.edu/program/it?degree=it COMPTIA A+ exam is normally $226 in the US: https://www.comptia.org/testing/exam-vou...ices#aplus

What will your grant cover? Any IT certification course from anywhere?

Thanks Rachel83az,
I am in NJ. My grant will cover any school(online too) up to $6000 it is part of my employment plan.  I am getting closer to finish my BSBA degree(102 credits) and I also thought about getting a certificate that would land me a job.  I want to use the full grant amount that they offer and it has to be in one shot.  A+ is good but I could do that on my own.
Completed:

IT Certificates:
[-] The following 1 user Likes dodek101's post:
  • rachel83az
My husband got an AWS cert that actually covers 36cr (semester) at Purdue Univ Global. He got a job offer from Amazon soon after getting his cert.

It depends on what school you go to as to how many credits you can get for things.

Also, does it have to be a cert, or can it be actual courses? Because you could take some UL college courses in Cloud or whatever, and kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Pikachu
There are tons of certifications for cybersecurity if you are interested in the field. EC Council has a lot of them and good for job seekers to pass HR screening. Although its not most popular among those who r in the field for multiple reasons.
CompTia has various cert for cybersecurity.
OSCP and related are good for cybersecurity but it requires tons of hands on practice to pass it
(12-15-2020, 12:43 PM)dfrecore Wrote: My husband got an AWS cert that actually covers 36cr (semester) at Purdue Univ Global.  He got a job offer from Amazon soon after getting his cert.

It depends on what school you go to as to how many credits you can get for things.

Also, does it have to be a cert, or can it be actual courses?  Because you could take some UL college courses in Cloud or whatever, and kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

That is interesting. I chat with Purdue rep and they don't offer AWS cert.  Only Bachelor of Science in Cloud Computing and Solutions witch is 180 credits and Postbaccalaureate Certificate.  I don't have yet my BSBA to do it.  It can be a course or certificate.  In the end, they want a paper with my name on it, degree or cert.

https://www.purdueglobal.edu/degree-prog...echnology/
Completed:

IT Certificates:
@dfrecore its its interesting. Did he land the job only based on the certification?
(12-15-2020, 06:58 PM)dodek101 Wrote:
(12-15-2020, 12:43 PM)dfrecore Wrote: My husband got an AWS cert that actually covers 36cr (semester) at Purdue Univ Global.  He got a job offer from Amazon soon after getting his cert.

Also, does it have to be a cert, or can it be actual courses?  Because you could take some UL college courses in Cloud or whatever, and kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

That is interesting. I chat with Purdue rep and they don't offer AWS cert.  Only Bachelor of Science in Cloud Computing and Solutions witch is 180 credits and Postbaccalaureate Certificate.  I don't have yet my BSBA to do it.  It can be a course or certificate.  In the end, they want a paper with my name on it, degree or cert.

I didn't say he got the cert through them, I just said that he got it, and if he goes to PUG, it comes in to cover 36cr (sem) - which equals 54cr (quarter).  They're a quarter-based school, but we generally talk about semester-based credits here, so I converted it for ease of discussion.

PUG has some Cloud courses, which is why I suggested it.  They could go towards their Cloud degree, but they can also be used towards other degrees.

(12-15-2020, 07:13 PM)Cofffeee Wrote: @dfrecore its its interesting.  Did he land the job only based on the certification?

No, he has 20+ years of experience.  But he got the cert and then literally 2 days later someone called him.  It could have been a coincidence...
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • dodek101, Pikachu
I see it could be. 20+ years definitely helped a lot. Good for him
(12-15-2020, 09:39 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(12-15-2020, 06:58 PM)dodek101 Wrote:

I didn't say he got the cert through them, I just said that he got it, and if he goes to PUG, it comes in to cover 36cr (sem) - which equals 54cr (quarter).  They're a quarter-based school, but we generally talk about semester-based credits here, so I converted it for ease of discussion.

PUG has some Cloud courses, which is why I suggested it.  They could go towards their Cloud degree, but they can also be used towards other degrees.

(12-15-2020, 07:13 PM)Cofffeee Wrote: @dfrecore its its interesting.  Did he land the job only based on the certification?

No, he has 20+ years of experience.  But he got the cert and then literally 2 days later someone called him.  It could have been a coincidence...
Sorry, I misunderstood you.  Can you say where he got AWS cert?
Completed:

IT Certificates:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK - Professional certificate - 69£ Imbanewbie 2 511 12-04-2023, 10:41 PM
Last Post: Johann
  Google IT Support Professional Certificate - ACE expiring soon? lumina 12 1,545 03-03-2023, 07:34 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  edx - Ec Council- Professional Certificate in Cybersecurity Essentials Imbanewbie 5 1,131 02-24-2023, 01:41 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Google Project Management: Professional Certificate midnite123 5 1,655 10-06-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  New USF Certificate Program TINASAM 3 690 06-23-2022, 12:30 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  MS Office Certificate TINASAM 10 1,399 02-07-2022, 05:29 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Official University Certificate for $200 (best quality deal) Life Long Learning 38 7,282 02-05-2022, 10:17 AM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Free Diversity Certificate TINASAM 5 1,227 06-09-2021, 03:54 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  New USF Certificate: Emerging Trends in Global Services and Retail Management ss20ts 10 1,638 06-02-2021, 10:56 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  FREE College Certificate in WWII (not a 3rd party MOOC). Life Long Learning 5 1,591 09-19-2020, 01:07 PM
Last Post: StoicJ