Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU & ALEKS credits
So I got back my evaluation and apparently Trigonometry and Pre-Calculus from ALEKS are duplicate courses at TESU.

I did double check before I took them to be sure I was not duplicating, but somehow must have either missed it completely, or or misread that tidbit of info during some hospital visit, as I was very sure they didn't duplicate! Now I know I wasted 3 credits and the time it took to get them... SIGH! banghead

So, just an FYI if anyone is looking to know: don't take both Trigonometry and Pre-Calculus!
Pointless.

Here's their reply when I asked why they dismissed 3 credits:
"Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, ALEKS' Pre-calculus and Trigonometry both transfer in as Pre-calc MAT-129. Thomas Edison does not create the equivalencies for ALEKS, the American Counsel on Education (ACE) creates the equivalencies and we use their records. I apologize for any confusion you have had."
BALS.SS COMPLETED (122 credits in 6 1/2 months)
CAPSTONE (95%)
CLEP: A & I Lit (63), English Comp Modular (74)
TECEP: Computer Concepts
DSST: English Comp 2 (417)
STRAIGHTERLINE: Medical Terminology, Religions, Western Civ I, Western Civ II, American Govt, Nutrition, Anthropology, Sociology, Environmental Science, Communications
STUDY.COM: Personal Finance, Vietnam War, Social Psychology, Research Methods in Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Classroom Management, Differentiated Instruction, Special Education History & Law, Foundations of Education, Early Childhood Education
SHMOOP: The Bible As Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, U.S. History 1, U.S. History 2, Modern European History, World Geography, Film Studies, Human Sexuality
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Pre-Calculus
FREE COURSES: CybSec for Everyone, CybSec Business Professionals, Insurance Inst. Ethics, NFA: Fire Service Supervision, Community Safety Educators, Sophia: Developing Effective Teams
I'm pretty sure that this overlapped equivalency is general knowledge around here. That's why it's always good to check here. The message from TESU is pure BS, however. TESU sets the equivalencies and nobody else. ACE recommends the amount of credit, the school decides if they'll take it at all, what credit they will actually award, and what the equivalency is.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Yeah, ACE can't set equivalencies. That's just a ridiculous statement.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Happened to read this post from 2 years ago. According to ACE, College Algebra + Trig. duplicates with Precalculus. There is no mention that this course cannot be taken with Trig. alone. While I understand from a common sense point of view that the contents are very similar, if we went by the rule, ACE does not rule out taking Trig. & PreCalculus.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
(03-20-2019, 08:18 AM)Supermind Wrote: Happened to read this post from 2 years ago. According to ACE, College Algebra + Trig. duplicates with Precalculus. There is no mention that this course cannot be taken with Trig. alone. While I understand from a common sense point of view that the contents are very similar, if we went by the rule, ACE does not rule out taking Trig. & PreCalculus.

When the courses were re-reviewed by ACE, ALEKS did provide guidance on their ACE Information Page as to which course combinations could not receive credit together. I think this left College Algebra, Trigonometry and any 1 of the Stats courses as being the only combination of courses you could take there and receive ACE credit for together.
It does not clearly say so on the PreCalculus recommendation page. It only says ‘this course may not be taken with either College Algebra or College Algebra + Trigonometry courses owing to duplicative nature of contents.’ It does not expressly state that even the Trigonometry course cannot be taken with this. I am only trying to make a point here that ACE’s recommendations are a bit unclear in this case, and this could cause confusion.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
It definitely can be confusing, especially when reading the PreCalculus recommendation page on ACE. However, if you do pull up Trigonometry on ACE it does state clearly that it can not be combined with PreCalculus, though I agree it would of been best to indicate it clearly on the PreCalc page as well. That may be why Aleks chose to break it down a bit more clearly on their site.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 729 2 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,983 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 166 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 262 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 243 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 233 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 273 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,161 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 392 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP