Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Registered for class at NDSU: Distance and Contuing Education
I just registered for a 1 credit class through NDSU Distance and Continuing Education for Teachers.  
I learned about this here, so I thought I would share the info here as well.  https://www.ndsu.edu/dce/index.php/classes/listing/search&keywords=Literature&channel=classes_k12&class_term=2010%7C%7C9999

I am taking CHILDREN’S LITERATURE/NEWBERY 2019, GR 4-7.  The sign up was as easy as I have ever encountered and the cost was $80.  Since I am teaching English at a small cottage school this year, this class fits my circumstances perfectly and I am hoping to take several classes that it will complement the PIA classes that I took at HES, so if I do ever end up teaching at the CC level, my credits will be better rounded and not all in Poetry. I have not tried to become an adjunct yet, my current job found me first! 

I am already missing taking classes and I just finished the last 2 PIA classes in May.  My oldest son says that I may be addicted, but I am ok with that. 

Here is the course description: This course will cover fiction material that is targeted for high-level students from 4th-7th grade. Individuals participating in this course will read the books recognized for the Newbery Award in 2019. This will provide exposure to three fiction books. Participants will be required to complete comprehension assessments as well as engage with weekly online discussions. The assignments will provide participants a chance to draw from previous experiences, critical thinking, current events, and the critiquing of literature.

There are multiple courses offered and it looks like many of them are offered more than once during the year.  
I just wanted to share in case anyone else would be interested in what looks like a quality, low cost class.  I will let you know what I think after I finish.   
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
[-] The following 2 users Like hsfamfun's post:
  • Ideas, Life Long Learning
(09-17-2019, 07:02 AM)hsfamfun Wrote: I just registered for a 1 credit class through NDSU Distance and Continuing Education for Teachers.  
I learned about this here, so I thought I would share the info here as well.  https://www.ndsu.edu/dce/index.php/classes/listing/search&keywords=Literature&channel=classes_k12&class_term=2010%7C%7C9999

I am taking CHILDREN’S LITERATURE/NEWBERY 2019, GR 4-7.  The sign up was as easy as I have ever encountered and the cost was $80.  Since I am teaching English at a small cottage school this year, this class fits my circumstances perfectly and I am hoping to take several classes that it will complement the PIA classes that I took at HES, so if I do ever end up teaching at the CC level, my credits will be better rounded and not all in Poetry. I have not tried to become an adjunct yet, my current job found me first! 

I am already missing taking classes and I just finished the last 2 PIA classes in May.  My oldest son says that I may be addicted, but I am ok with that. 

Here is the course description: This course will cover fiction material that is targeted for high-level students from 4th-7th grade. Individuals participating in this course will read the books recognized for the Newbery Award in 2019. This will provide exposure to three fiction books. Participants will be required to complete comprehension assessments as well as engage with weekly online discussions. The assignments will provide participants a chance to draw from previous experiences, critical thinking, current events, and the critiquing of literature.

There are multiple courses offered and it looks like many of them are offered more than once during the year.  
I just wanted to share in case anyone else would be interested in what looks like a quality, low cost class.  I will let you know what I think after I finish.   
This looks interesting - so these are college credits? Or are they continuing ed credits for teachers? I see they are all named "EDUC 2000." I am just clarifying. They look great.
"This looks interesting - so these are college credits? Or are they continuing ed credits for teachers? I see they are all named "EDUC 2000." I am just clarifying. They look great."

These are continuing education classes that are awarded graduate level credit. The class I am taking is $80 and is 1 credit hour.
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Master's or PhD in Linguistics/Education/English Mister Linguist 16 2,072 12-10-2023, 03:25 AM
Last Post: nykorn
  Online Master of Arts in Education (French language) TennisCoach 16 1,264 12-07-2023, 10:23 AM
Last Post: nykorn
  VA Discredits HES Eligibility for VA Education Benefits smartdegree 5 578 11-28-2023, 11:22 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Fastest Least Expensive Masters in Psychology or Education dbwdb 21 3,661 09-09-2023, 09:39 PM
Last Post: ejones
  What are people's reasons for taking Masters in Education jb111 10 3,788 09-09-2023, 09:33 PM
Last Post: ejones
  Masters in Elementary Education teacher2 4 1,018 09-09-2023, 11:07 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Seeking Suggestions for Education Pathway for Canada's Permanent Residence OtterDen 8 1,101 06-23-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: smartdegree
  Some Master’s Degrees Are the Second Biggest Scam in Higher Education LevelUP 18 2,928 02-11-2023, 07:06 PM
Last Post: aslhou
  Looking for a scholarship that would cover for distance learning expenses blablablox 5 889 11-15-2022, 10:23 PM
Last Post: thodeptrai
  $18k University of Virginia Master of Education smartdegree 1 553 09-07-2022, 04:09 PM
Last Post: carrythenothing