Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Requirements for BA CompSci COMPLETE
Star 
Back in January, rachel83az/Kab pointed out that the wording on TESU's second/multiple degree policy had changed:

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid355756

(previously, TESU would not award any same-level degrees after you've earned two, no matter where those two were earned. the new wording seems to imply they will allow two TESU degrees, even if you have multiple degrees elsewhere)

I have a TESU BA in Psych, a WGU BS in IT Security, and decided to test this new policy to see if I could get a second TESU BA (third overall Bachelors) in Computer Science.

As of today, I have completed all requirements for the BACS, finishing my capstone course with 96%. I also tacked on a AS in Business Administration (this will be my second overall Associates), and undergrad certificates in Operations Management and Computer Information Systems (pretty useless/redundant with an IT and CS bachelors, but why not).

I am still not 100% convinced that TESU will award me a third bachelors, but I did email advising before I started this and they did confirm that I could have two TESU bachelors (but we all know how much we can trust TESU advisors...). I'll be applying for graduation soon, but won't hear back for a while (conferral isn't until March, I believe they wait quite a while before evaluating and confirming your graduation, iirc). I won't feel confident until they actually confirm my degree.

But, assuming this holds, here are my new academic "stats" (Tongue):

MS Cybersecurity (Policy), Georgia Tech, 2021

BA Computer Science, Thomas Edison State University, 2023
BS Information Technology (Security), Western Governors University, 2018
BA Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, 2016

AS Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University, 2023
AA Sociology, local community college, 2015

Certificate in Operations Management, Thomas Edison State University, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, Thomas Edison State University, 2023
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 5 users Like jsd's post:
  • KsT, LevelUP, MNomadic, rachel83az, TwinMom
Congrats! Pretty soon you'll have no choice but to pursue a doctorate!
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • jsd
Not if I keep wasting time with unnecessary degrees and putting off the gruelling work of said doctorate! Wink

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • MNomadic, rachel83az
I hope you go for doctorate. Please us update. I have to finish my mba. I hope I can finish on time.
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA
                   Master in Project Management, University Isabel I / ENEB
                   Master in Big Data and Business Intelligent, University Isabel I, ENEB

Completed: WGU MS-CIA 2022
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Imbanewbie's post:
  • jsd
(11-26-2022, 06:48 PM)jsd Wrote: Back in January, rachel83az/Kab pointed out that the wording on TESU's second/multiple degree policy had changed:

(previously, TESU would not award any same-level degrees after you've earned two, no matter where those two were earned. the new wording seems to imply they will allow two TESU degrees, even if you have multiple degrees elsewhere)

I have a TESU BA in Psych, a WGU BS in IT Security, and decided to test this new policy to see if I could get a second TESU BA (third overall Bachelors) in Computer Science.

As of today, I have completed all requirements for the BACS, finishing my capstone course with 96%. I also tacked on a AS in Business Administration (this will be my second overall Associates), and undergrad certificates in Operations Management and Computer Information Systems (pretty useless/redundant with an IT and CS bachelors, but why not).

I am still not 100% convinced that TESU will award me a third bachelors, but I did email advising before I started this and they did confirm that I could have two TESU bachelors (but we all know how much we can trust TESU advisors...). I'll be applying for graduation soon, but won't hear back for a while (conferral isn't until March, I believe they wait quite a while before evaluating and confirming your graduation, iirc). I won't feel confident until they actually confirm my degree.

Certificate in Computer Information Systems, Thomas Edison State University, 2023
good job! 
Who was your mentor for the capstone ?
(11-27-2022, 05:06 PM)Pats20 Wrote: good job! 
Who was your mentor for the capstone ?

Dan Wiley, who was also my mentor back in 2016 for my first capstone (he gave no indication that he recognized me, and I have no idea why he would -- he's seen hundreds of students since then!)

I liked him enough to take his course twice, if that's any indication. Mostly I just knew what to expect with him.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

So if you do both the Psychology and Computer Science at the same time, then it would be:
Degree Awarded: Bachelor of Arts
Area of Study: Psychology and Computer Science
Date Conferred: Date graduated

Going back to TESU and doing a 2nd AOS within the same degree, how would that look on the transcript? Are they going to list Bachelor of Arts twice?
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(11-27-2022, 07:06 PM)LevelUP Wrote:  Are they going to list Bachelor of Arts twice?

This is what I suspect since it's not a dual area of study situation. But I guess I'll see? I'll certainly let you know.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • LevelUP
(11-26-2022, 06:48 PM)jsd Wrote: Back in January, rachel83az/Kab pointed out that the wording on TESU's second/multiple degree policy had changed:

Congrats! 

Could you share the breakdown of where you filled all your AOS Electives from?
[-] The following 1 user Likes KsT's post:
  • jsd
All of the electives came from my Georgia Tech MS in CySec and WGU BS IT degrees, so unfortunately that wouldn't be very helpful.

One of the reasons I did this (aside from my employer's annual tuition-reimbursement plan not having a lifetime cap) was that I was able to back transfer a lot of my Georgia Tech MS CySec courses back to the bachelors, and also having a lot of overlapping relevant WGU BS in IT-Sec courses, so I didn't have to complete too much extra work.

Here are the net new courses I completed for the CS AOS, only one of which went towards Section H: Additional AOS Electives:

Section A: Programming
- OnlineDegree.com: Introduction to Programming

Section B: Data Structures
-Study.com: Data Structures & Algorithms

Section C: Calculus I
-Sophia.org: Calculus I

Section D: Discrete Math
-Study.com: Discrete Mathematics

Section E: Operating Systems
-Study.com: Introduction to Operating Systems

Section F: Computer Architecture
-Study.com: Computer Architecture

Section H: Additional AOS Electives:
-TESU ePack: Computer Concepts and Applications

TESU Liberal Arts Capstone

All other sections, including AOS electives were filled by my prior degrees. I did some more Sophia, OnlineDegree, and Study.com courses for the ASBA and certs, but those weren't necessary for the CS degree. I also took two other TESU courses to avoide the residency waiver fee, but those also weren't needed for the CS degree (Ethical Hacking, 3CR; Introduction to Prior Learning Assessment, 1CR)

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • KsT

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Elective requirements Kones 7 481 10-26-2023, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Kones
  TESU degree requirements help based on current catalog evenFair23 42 2,957 08-03-2023, 03:02 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Reducing Credit Hour Residency Requirements from 16 to 15. CanICode 10 1,091 07-02-2023, 06:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Foreign (canadian) bachelor's degree does not waive GE requirements? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 12 783 06-11-2023, 11:28 AM
  Pursuing multiple TESU degrees; residency/RA requirements? bruh 8 715 06-11-2023, 03:04 AM
  Testing out of History & Civics and Ethical Leadership requirements? WHOASIS1 6 757 03-31-2023, 09:36 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  RA Credit Requirements for a Second Degree OUStudent 4 811 12-27-2022, 04:42 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study.com CompSci class order for TESU? CanICode 7 1,671 10-31-2022, 04:54 AM
Last Post: inf
  Dual Major - Upper Level Credit Requirements for 2nd Degree StudiousTraveller 9 993 10-13-2022, 08:38 PM
Last Post: StudiousTraveller
  Question about General Education Requirements sprout18 6 933 12-11-2021, 10:36 PM