Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Study.com partnership only eligible for 21 years of age+
I am aware that on January 1, 2018, TESU changed their policy regarding admitting students younger than 18. However, I read in another thread that they are admitting students 18 years of age that have at least 24 credits.  My daughter is 18 and has 33 credits (26 from a university, 6 CLEP, 1 Sophia) so I didn't think this change would really affect her. However, I found the following on the TESU website:

Quote:Who is eligible?
Any Study.com student, who enrolled at Thomas Edison State University through Study.com after September 1, 2016, and is 21 years of age, is eligible for this program.

Study.com will need to be identified as the 'Partner Affiliation' on the student's original application to TESU.

https://www.tesu.edu/studycom/

So, TESU will make an exception and enroll her at 18, but she can't use the Study.com partnership until she is 21 if I'm reading this correctly.

I'm not sure how to advise her to proceed regarding applying. Apply now and forfeit the study.com affiliation (waiver reduction)? Apply when she is close to graduating and forfeit the benefit of locking into a catalog and having access to advising? She still might not be 21 when she does the latter.
I would lock in the catalog now. But she doesn't need to add the study.com affiliate membership to her account until she's ready to take the capstone. Until then, it's now important to get the residency waiver discount, nor is it very important to get the cornerstone waiver. So, at the point that she's ready to graduate, if she's close to 21, then she can use the affiliation. If she's not, then she pays full price.

And, just an FYI, she can always switch to COSC if she wants instead.

And who knows, the study.com affiliate membership may change by the time she's ready to graduate anyway...
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thank you, Dfrecore. So technically the Study.com affiliate does not need to be on the original application (as stated on their website) but can be added later. That’s good information to know.
They just updated this page a few days ago, so there is some new stuff on there. I'm a bit confused at this point as to what is going on.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Honestly, who can guess what the study.com discounts will be worth by the time she's 21. I'd say move forward as best you can. BTW, it couldn't hurt to have her apply as a study.com affiliate. They may not enforce that provision, and if they do, you can try to add it when she is 21, assuming she doesn't just graduate before then. Remember that even half a year of working as a grad is worth much more than the discount, so there's no upside in waiting to get it.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I think TESU is having growing pains and I'm not sure anyone "knows" anything more than anyone else just yet. TESU has always had the "21 or older" rule, but that rule was broken easily and often by many members here for many years. At this point, probably because of the change in leadership, it appears as if they are attempting to "crack down" for some unknown reason. It's possible that there are actual reasons (perhaps it has to do with accreditation?) or it's an optics/image reason? But whatever the reason, I think it's just going to take some trial and error to figure out what exactly they'll allow at this point. It's also worth pointing out that Lumerit's zillion dollar program is supposed to allow an exception- and Lumerit is targeted at teens, not adults, so that's something to explore. If they'll make an exception for Lumerit's students, that reveals some of what their motives aren't (ex. accreditation) and does give some clues, but seriously Jenny, I don't know what anyone can offer in terms of certainty.
(07-07-2018, 09:48 AM)davewill Wrote: Honestly, who can guess what the study.com discounts will be worth by the time she's 21. I'd say move forward as best you can. BTW, it couldn't hurt to have her apply as a study.com affiliate. They may not enforce that provision, and if they do, you can try to add it when she is 21, assuming she doesn't just graduate before then. Remember that even half a year of working as a grad is worth much more than the discount, so there's no upside in waiting to get it.

True. Thanks for the advice. I've been reading the board long enough to know that policies change in the blink of an eye. Just have to roll with it. At least I know the next step.

(07-07-2018, 10:40 AM)cookderosa Wrote: I think TESU is having growing pains and I'm not sure anyone "knows" anything more than anyone else just yet.  TESU has always had the "21 or older" rule, but that rule was broken easily and often by many members here for many years.  At this point, probably because of the change in leadership, it appears as if they are attempting to "crack down" for some unknown reason.  It's possible that there are actual reasons (perhaps it has to do with accreditation?) or it's an optics/image reason?  But whatever the reason, I think it's just going to take some trial and error to figure out what exactly they'll allow at this point. It's also worth pointing out that Lumerit's zillion dollar program is supposed to allow an exception- and Lumerit is targeted at teens, not adults, so that's something to explore. If they'll make an exception for Lumerit's students, that reveals some of what their motives aren't (ex. accreditation) and does give some clues, but seriously Jenny, I don't know what anyone can offer in terms of certainty.

Perhaps we will be the guinea pigs to figure this out. :-) I presented the pros and cons of TESU and COSC and she chose TESU even with the uncertainty and sub-par customer service. If nothing else, it will be good practice for her to work with bureaucracy.  Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com Employee Discount natshar 5 12,374 09-23-2018, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,013 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,679 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,136 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,670 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,747 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,366 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,611 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,340 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,398 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic