Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resume/CV
(02-24-2021, 10:23 PM)Imbanewbie Wrote: I wonder, how many pages resume you can have? I wrote two pages, but some people said that it is too many pages.

Depends. You need to think about your experience, what kind of job you're applying for, the country you're in, and what you need to do the demonstrate your superiority from all the other candidates. Sometimes less is more, sometimes more is more.
The job advertisement itself will usually give you a hint as to how much info you need to provide, so use that as a guideline. I have mine set up so that I can easily submit only the first page without much impact, but for the type of jobs I usually apply for, the second page is necessary.

Just remember that the hiring manager can ignore the second page if it doesn't matter, but we can't add in the second page for you if it does. I've ignored 9-page CVs*, but never a nice-looking 2-pager. I'd rather see a nicely laid out 2-page CV than a 1-pager absolutely crammed with info. Or a sparse 1-pager that tells me next to nothing about you, that looks like you spent 5 minutes putting together.

Whatever you do, order from most important information to least, top to bottom of page, first to second page. Move stuff around on your CV based on the each job application. Your hiring manager doesn't care that you know Xhosa (even if you yourself are really impressed by it), so unless it's directly relevant to the position, put it last.

*actually, I read the whole thing because I was fascinated to know what could posses anyone to submit a 9-page, approximately 11-point font CV. He didn't get called in to an interview, but it was a memorable read nonetheless.
To answer the original question, I have a separate "Certifications/Skills" section below my education section. In there, I include my CPIM certification, and any out of the ordinary computer skills (what ERPs I'm familiar with, Crystal Report writing/creation, SQL, etc). I don't have any MOOCs or other certifications, but I would only include them if they were relevant to the job. I wouldn't include all of them on every resume.

To answer the how long a resume should be, it should be long enough to share all the relevant information. I know that's a trite answer, but a two page resume, especially for someone in their mid to late career, would not be out of the ordinary.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
[-] The following 2 users Like Flelm's post:
  • Pikachu, ss20ts
I have a "running resume" which is everything I've done suchas work experience, MOOCs, certifications, etc. This thing is a monster. I have 2 regular resumes: 1 for government jobs and 1 for non-government jobs. I tailor them to the job I'm applying for taking things from my "running resume". I limit them to 2 pages.

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

[-] The following 1 user Likes ROYISAGIRL's post:
  • ss20ts
(02-25-2021, 09:16 AM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: I have a "running resume" which is everything I've done suchas work experience, MOOCs, certifications, etc.  This thing is a monster. I  have 2 regular resumes: 1 for government jobs and 1 for non-government jobs. I tailor them to the job I'm applying for taking things from my "running resume".  I limit them to 2 pages.

Copy and paste what is actually needed when applying for a job type of thing?
(02-25-2021, 01:41 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(02-25-2021, 09:16 AM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: I have a "running resume" which is everything I've done suchas work experience, MOOCs, certifications, etc.  This thing is a monster. I  have 2 regular resumes: 1 for government jobs and 1 for non-government jobs. I tailor them to the job I'm applying for taking things from my "running resume".  I limit them to 2 pages.

Copy and paste what is actually needed when applying for a job type of thing?
Yep It elevates so much stress and what not

In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

[-] The following 1 user Likes ROYISAGIRL's post:
  • ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 Certificates To Put On Your Resume In 2024 LevelUP 0 263 03-27-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Help with creating a resume acethroughcollege 3 457 05-31-2023, 02:55 PM
Last Post: davewill
Thumbs Up How do you list certificates on Resume and LinkedIn? Vle045 2 708 05-04-2021, 04:05 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Dual AOS Resume referencing? Zachcleigh 2 999 07-09-2017, 11:08 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Quick certs to spice up resume for Epic application analyst job dmjacobsen 17 2,480 11-07-2016, 05:31 PM
Last Post: rebel100
  COSC In Progress on Resume humbleAMG 0 641 11-05-2016, 01:34 PM
Last Post: humbleAMG
  Would you put program accreditation on your resume? soliloquy 4 7,449 08-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Last Post: UptonSinclair
  New Project - Active Online Resume/CV UptonSinclair 22 1,636 01-23-2014, 10:56 PM
Last Post: publius2k4
  Listing degree on resume defscarlett 12 1,819 12-29-2012, 12:19 PM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  Should I list my A.A in CJ from a DETC school on resume for now? Ace_King 14 1,640 08-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Last Post: IrishJohn