Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resume Question
So once my degree actually confers I'll have both an Associate's degree and Bachelor's degree. When I update my rÃsumà should I still include the AA? It's from 20+ years ago and I just feel like it's about as relevant as the expired insurance license I have from another state (meaning not relevant at all). If it were recent or from the same university I don't think I would mind including it but it seems it just dates the resume. Anyone else run into this? I don't want to appear to be hiding anything but in the jobs I'll be applying for initially I don't think they'll even ask.

Also, should I be asking TESU about adding a second AA? How does that even work? Many of my ACE credits were for Gen Ed credits so I technically would not have been eligible for an Associate's if I had applied for it when I first sent transcripts to TESU. I'm not sure what their standards are for that since I came in with one already. (Although there is no where on my original transcript that indicates I had one conferred so I doubt they know this).
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
Most people think the Assoc degreers are not going to help you any. Especially if it's general studies, or in the same subject as the degree. I would include it if it's a different subject that is still relevant to the job, and otherwise skip them completely.

If the associates degree is in a specific area, say accounting, early childhood, or some technology field that is relevant to the job when your BA is more generic it may be worth listing. In my most recent job I read a lot of resumes that often had master's degree (usually masters in public health) and most didn't list the bachelor degree. Of the folk I know in that situation it was generally because their BA was in some humanities field and likely not of enough interest to list.
I'd leave it off, unless there's a reason to put it on there. Like, if I got an ASBA and then later a BSBA, I would only put the BSBA on my resume. If I had a general studies AA, I would leave it off completely once I had a BA/BS.

I'm also not a fan of including the year I got the degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Like dfrecore, I NEVER list year Wink

I would ask what is your AA in? If it's in your industry, it might be relevant.
I'll third leaving dates off. The only dates should be for time in jobs.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I would keep it simple, if it's just an AA without a minor concentration that is relevant to your industry, skip it.
In regards to the dates on when you completed the degrees, skip that as well.
You may want to go for a Masters instead of a second AA.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
cookderosa Wrote:Like dfrecore, I NEVER list year Wink

I would ask what is your AA in? If it's in your industry, it might be relevant.

Oh it's just an Associate of Arts... Nothing that adds anything essential. I suppose, as far as things being dated my work history will do that so by itself. But I do intend to go for a master's so hopefully the bachelor's isn't even relevant at some point Smile
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
rlw74 Wrote:Oh it's just an Associate of Arts... Nothing that adds anything essential. I suppose, as far as things being dated my work history will do that so by itself. But I do intend to go for a master's so hopefully the bachelor's isn't even relevant at some point Smile

I get job alerts from HigherEdJobs, I have for years - I like to see what's up in my field. Anyway, I've noticed a trend that applications want the "last 10 years" of employment history. In my case, that leaves off usually my most relevant positions. I've been thinking a lot about this, since I hope to return to full time academia in about 5 years.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  To defend or not to defend, that is the question! bjcheung77 4 619 02-21-2023, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Resume Question ROYISAGIRL 11 1,124 07-12-2022, 08:38 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Resume Rewrite from Indeed Vle045 6 761 06-22-2022, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Another job application question carebear_007 4 660 04-11-2022, 02:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Question: What do you use? For backup, restore, storage? bjcheung77 2 789 09-14-2021, 09:18 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Employment Question Alpha 3 1,065 01-22-2021, 04:45 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Question: DegreeForum Investment bjcheung77 3 1,109 06-06-2020, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Resumé Writer recommendations SDO 5 1,693 05-09-2020, 12:10 PM
Last Post: asianphd
  Question how to study for exam Imbanewbie 3 1,629 02-28-2020, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Question for Techies: Best Things to Learn amilitab4k9 12 2,673 12-11-2019, 12:10 AM
Last Post: amilitab4k9