Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Returning to school Spring...next week. Terrified
I haven’t been back to school in almost 30 years.  During that those years I took classes whenever I could (military and the military spouse).  Last month I started consolidating all my previous schools and training.  To my surprise I had 172 credit. So UMPI requires me to take 10 or 30 hours. Jessica say that is all I need too. I selected UMPI BLS Management because I have a career that only requires a degree now for promotion/raise potential. I do have crippling depression at time that requires  treatment. I am so terrified because I struggle I have these 10 classes and limited resources. I work 80+ hours a week with an  added hour to and from work everyday day 10 hours are unavailable. I am in project management and business currently so the material should be easier for me but I struggle writing papers.
How do you all do it? What is the best way to get through modules quickly?  
Is there anyway to know what I need to begin working on ahead of time for these classes?
My first 4 are:
What can I expect from each with the new brightspace? Most reviews have been under old system that I could find. How many papers and what is the final like?
Bus 141 Intro Project Mgmt/MS Projects
BUS 260 Leadership
BUS 321 Human Resource Management
BUS 415 Operations Mmanagement
The rest will probably be political science classes to fill the remaining requirements.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ender5803's post:
  • Darknigh7
You can't work on the courses before the term ends. You don't have access to the classes before the term begins.

All courses are now a written assignment. There are no more exams. Join the Discord and you'll see current students chatting.

You need to set up a schedule for studying and stick to it. Don't over do it and burn out.
@ender5803, Welcome to the board... That's a great intro post with some detail and information along with questions... ss20ts answered you already, it's going to take some time for you to finish and I don't think it'll be in one/two sessions, it may take up to three if not more. Just wondering if you reviewed other institutions such as Excelsior, TAMUC, TESU and so on (other institutions we've recommended on the board)...

With your energy/time frame you mentioned and without the full picture from the details on the addendum or template, I don't even know if UMPI is the route to go. You can transfer in 113 credits at Excelsior using alternative credits and focus only on those 7 credits, you can finish in two terms by doing the info lit, cornerstone in one term, and the capstone on the last term. TESU 114, would be 6 credits, same method...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • RachelB
(01-08-2024, 01:29 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @ender5803, Welcome to the board... That's a great intro post with some detail and information along with questions... ss20ts answered you already, it's going to take some time for you to finish and I don't think it'll be in one/two sessions, it may take up to three if not more.  Just wondering if you reviewed other institutions such as Excelsior, TAMUC, TESU and so on (other institutions we've recommended on the board)...

With your energy/time frame you mentioned and without the full picture from the details on the addendum or template, I don't even know if UMPI is the route to go.  You can transfer in 113 credits at Excelsior using alternative credits and focus only on those 7 credits, you can finish in two terms by doing the info lit, cornerstone in one term, and the capstone on the last term.  TESU 114, would be 6 credits, same method...

Thank you, I'll work on the template. Appreciate the feedback, I looked at all the above. UMPI just appeared to be the fastest and took all of my really old college credits. I originally started out looking at UMGC since I took classes there years ago, but even they did not accept as many. When you say it may take me three terms is that because of the available time I have or the course aren't really at your pace. I was hoping to speed through those I know the information, such as project management. I breezed through the Google and sophia business and project management courses. I was hoping the papers would be my biggest time suck.
If it calms your nerves, I found UMPI to be pretty easy. In my previous degrees, there were no rubberstamped rubrics to follow to pave the way for a 4.0, and the workload was much higher. Latin honors like Summa at most schools are pretty rare but at UMPI its common. I finished the 10 courses in one term without much struggle.

Many others have as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Duneranger's post:
  • Darknigh7
"Thank you, I'll work on the template. Appreciate the feedback, I looked at all the above. UMPI just appeared to be the fastest and took all of my really old college credits."

As per my reply, Excelsior takes 113, TESU takes 114, depending on what the 172 credits are (if it's lower level, upper level), you might already have everything but the 6-7 credits. I suggest planning after you know what credits are able to transfer, comparing spreadsheets would be your best bet to decide on the degree and institution.

"I originally started out looking at UMGC since I took classes there years ago, but even they did not accept as many."

If you still have eligibility for military (military spouse) tuition at any of the institutions I mentioned, including UMGC, you may be able to finish cheaply, especially with TESU by doing their TECEPs for residency purposes and the cornerstone/capstone. If you have 30 UMGC credits already, you can transfer everything into their General Studies degree.

"When you say it may take me three terms is that because of the available time I have or the course aren't really at your pace. I was hoping to speed through those I know the information, such as project management."

Review your original post, 80 hours of work/week, again, without much info on the addendum and template, it's going to be hard to gauge how you will do. People who are working 40 hours/week may be able to finish in two terms if they have enough energy/time management, you should expect three at minimum if not more.

"I breezed through the Google and sophia business and project management courses. I was hoping the papers would be my biggest time suck."

Google/Sophia, open book classes, and any other non-proctored ACE/NCCRS, would be ideal for you. The only thing remaining would be the assignment based cornerstone/capstone options for Excelsior/TESU. Again, you're going to decide based on what you know and can accomplish... You decide the cheap, easy, fast mix/match of your choice.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
If you really doubt your ability to handle to the pace at a competency program like UMPI, you might prefer TESU, where you can space things out more, and even get a course extension if you need one. You may want to go ahead and enroll at TESU and send in your transcripts. Then you will know exactly how your current courses apply.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • RachelB
(01-07-2024, 07:23 PM)ender5803 Wrote: I haven’t been back to school in almost 30 years.  During that those years I took classes whenever I could (military and the military spouse).  Last month I started consolidating all my previous schools and training.  To my surprise I had 172 credit. So UMPI requires me to take 10 or 30 hours. Jessica say that is all I need too. I selected UMPI BLS Management because I have a career that only requires a degree now for promotion/raise potential. I do have crippling depression at time that requires  treatment. I am so terrified because I struggle I have these 10 classes and limited resources. I work 80+ hours a week with an  added hour to and from work everyday day 10 hours are unavailable. I am in project management and business currently so the material should be easier for me but I struggle writing papers.
How do you all do it? What is the best way to get through modules quickly?  
Is there anyway to know what I need to begin working on ahead of time for these classes?
My first 4 are:
What can I expect from each with the new brightspace? Most reviews have been under old system that I could find. How many papers and what is the final like?
Bus 141 Intro Project Mgmt/MS Projects
BUS 260 Leadership
BUS 321 Human Resource Management
BUS 415 Operations Mmanagement
The rest will probably be political science classes to fill the remaining requirements.

Sounds like you need to take your classes in small bites. The problem with competency based programs is that once you're in, you're in. So if you struggle with depression like I do, you may find yourself extremely exhausted after a couple of weeks. A program where you make an 8 week commitment and then stop to recoup your mental health, might be better for you. Someone mentioned TESU. I think that would be a good idea.
[-] The following 1 user Likes indigoshuffle's post:
  • RachelB
(01-09-2024, 03:35 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: "Thank you, I'll work on the template. Appreciate the feedback, I looked at all the above. UMPI just appeared to be the fastest and took all of my really old college credits."

As per my reply, Excelsior takes 113, TESU takes 114, depending on what the 172 credits are (if it's lower level, upper level), you might already have everything but the 6-7 credits.  I suggest planning after you know what credits are able to transfer, comparing spreadsheets would be your best bet to decide on the degree and institution.

"I originally started out looking at UMGC since I took classes there years ago, but even they did not accept as many."

If you still have eligibility for military (military spouse) tuition at any of the institutions I mentioned, including UMGC, you may be able to finish cheaply, especially with TESU by doing their TECEPs for residency purposes and the cornerstone/capstone.  If you have 30 UMGC credits already, you can transfer everything into their General Studies degree.

"When you say it may take me three terms is that because of the available time I have or the course aren't really at your pace. I was hoping to speed through those I know the information, such as project management."

Review your original post, 80 hours of work/week, again, without much info on the addendum and template, it's going to be hard to gauge how you will do.  People who are working 40 hours/week may be able to finish in two terms if they have enough energy/time management, you should expect three at minimum if not more.

"I breezed through the Google and sophia business and project management courses. I was hoping the papers would be my biggest time suck."

Google/Sophia, open book classes, and any other non-proctored ACE/NCCRS, would be ideal for you.  The only thing remaining would be the assignment based cornerstone/capstone options for Excelsior/TESU.  Again, you're going to decide based on what you know and can accomplish... You decide the cheap, easy, fast mix/match of your choice.
First, I want to say thank you for responding and taking the time to answer my questions. It really does mean a lot. With classes starting Monday, not sure I could or would have the time to look at TESU. I wish I would have found this forum sooner. I do better with papers than I do on exams.  I over think multiple choice questions  so UMPI seemed appealing due to papers instead of exams. I read so many post from people who took 8 plus easily in one term I had convinced myself UMPI was my best route. Is it true most classes only have a graded final and usually it's a paper? 
A big worry of mine happened after I took the orientation. It discussed how your time spend logging in and on the course daily is recorded. I may have tons of free time for days but often I will only have the weekends to complete assignments. I was under the impression it was similar to others and you just went at your pace over the 8 weeks. Meaning if I spend all my free time on weekends I could. It seems I need won't be able to speed through course I am knowledgeable about like I did with others. I honestly thought I could knock out a couple in a few days, obviously the ones I have spent a lifetime on the job like project management. So now, I am creating project schedules for my classes....without the syllabus. I guess it will be easier once some unknowns are known with each of my classes. I just hate being unprepared and not able to plan. I truly need a program that is true to name and had hopes this was it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  International High School Equivalency for UMPI Application kylan11 5 347 03-08-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Study Plan to Earn 30 Credits in a Single 8-week Session FM1 14 1,711 03-04-2024, 11:49 PM
Last Post: CCCollege
  I've been accepted into the Spring 2 session at UMPI! FM1 10 945 01-28-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Exclamation UMPI not accepting high school diploma because its not being sent by the school FM1 11 1,004 12-18-2023, 06:35 PM
Last Post: FM1
  UMPI doesn’t make any cool school merch for us YourPacer’s, so I’ve gone rogue! :) tsgreer 29 2,362 09-25-2023, 07:34 AM
Last Post: tsgreer
  Got my Grades for Spring II term!! joshua27 25 1,958 05-17-2023, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Pancman237
  Do I need to complete 2 8 week sessions for Financial Aid? jarrett312 2 1,068 05-08-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  l don’t recommend this school @TonetoReal 44 5,672 04-30-2023, 08:48 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  BUS440 - removed from Spring 2023 uncoolbilly 21 2,252 01-16-2023, 09:25 AM
Last Post: uncoolbilly
  Spring Session 2 Updates ashkir 126 13,393 10-20-2022, 04:16 PM
Last Post: kidneysmasher