Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review of University of Findlay
University of Findlay is one of only two schools that offer an EHAC-accredited, online program. If you're not certified in industrial health or medical physics, you need an environmental health or safety degree with EHAC, CEPH, or ABET accreditation to become an Environmental Health Officer in USPHS. UF's program is called an MS in Environmental, Safety, and Health Management. 

I don't know if this is the case, but I think UF outsouces its admissions, enrollment, and financial aid services. My financial aid advisor accidentally sent me an email with the wrong school logo, and Concordia University shows up on my caller ID whenever enrollment calls me.

UF is a private, Christian school of a conservative denomination, but I was surprised that they had "other" as a gender option when I filled out the application. They will order all your transcripts for you if your previous schools will allow it, but don't expect them to be competent in this task. They kept asking me for the status of transcripts they already received and kept asking me for authorization forms that I already submitted. 

I was applying to University of Florida at the same time, and they had no problems with receiving my financial aid information, but Findlay kept bugging me for weeks saying that they didn't get it. Findlay also failed to waive one of the leveling courses, and my advisor said that maybe my GRE scores weren't high enough. Um....they were way above the scores they asked for; admissions just forgot to look. I didn't spend $27 for nothing. Anyway, they eventually found them.

I have so many credits that both schools missed my biology courses to waive other prerequisites. While University of Florida was able to quickly locate the transcripts with the bio courses, the administrative assistant at Findlay said that she couldn't find them. I told her which transcripts they were on, and she said that I needed to send those transcripts in. I already did! Fortunately, she eventually tracked them down.

What attracted me to Findlay was their free textbook rental program, but that was ended after I was admitted. They offer discount rentals, but you still have to pay $35-45 for each book. 

Enrollment is pretty annoying. They will call and text you about every other week until your session begins. About a month before my program started, my advisor said that she would send textbook rental info in a couple of weeks. I don't know why she couldn't send it then. She waited until a week before the class start date to email me the form which I had to fax. This school's system is antiquated. In the Environmental Health program, you can't register and drop courses on your own; you have to email the administrative assistant. 

So, I received my textbooks after classes started, so I was behind on readings. And, it turns out that my advisor told me to rent the wrong book for one class. It's for an entirely different course. Since there is no way I can pass the upcoming quiz and turn in other assignments without a late penalty, I'm withdrawing from the university and focusing entirely on University of Florida. Maybe I'll return to Findlay or another type of program if the federal government does away with my job before I can finish the background process and start the training academy. 

About the program itself, don't be fooled by the "management" in the degree title or some of the courses. Some of the courses require advanced math, and Solid Waste Management is really a Solid Waste Engineering course that uses an engineering textbook.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I know very little of the University of Findlay, but I have taken some FEMA courses that they wrote.  The University of Findlay is part of the Rural Development Preparedness Consortium (RDPC).  I bet all FEMA funded.  They seem to have the School-Based Incidents area.

•AWR 148: Crisis Management for School-Based Incidents – Partnering Rural Law Enforcement, First Responders, and Local School Systems (8-hours F2F).

•AWR-148-W Crisis Management for Schools, University of Findlay, 8 Hours
•AWR-208-W Crisis Management in a Rural School, Findlay/EKU, 2 Hours

www.ruraltraining.org
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Is this the one in Ohio? I live a couple hours from it and know several students. They are mostly known for their equine and vet programs around here. While they may offer other degrees I never hear about them (except maybe business which is only to emphasize a skill you might need to run your own vet clinic or boarding facility). I had no idea they were religious at all. They definitely don't advertise it as much as Ashland or Cedarville (two other religious schools in Ohio). That's disappointing to hear about their admissions process as I know some of the programs are not inexpensive. One of my daughter's friends is planning to apply by end of this year so I'll have to give her a heads up.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
(07-13-2018, 10:42 AM)rlw74 Wrote: Is this the one in Ohio? I live a couple hours from it and know several students. They are mostly known for their equine and vet programs around here. While they may offer other degrees I never hear about them (except maybe business which is only to emphasize a skill you might need to run your own vet clinic or boarding facility). I had no idea they were religious at all. They definitely don't advertise it as much as Ashland or Cedarville (two other religious schools in Ohio). That's disappointing to hear about their admissions process as I know some of the programs are not inexpensive. One of my daughter's friends is planning to apply by end of this year so I'll have to give her a heads up.

Yes, it's the one in Ohio. Things might be different for on-campus students. Their system is designed for their small campus; they haven't adapted to having a large number of online students in different parts of the country. 

University of Findlay might be one of those religious schools that have turned mostly secular, but they do mention Christian faith on their website.

https://www.findlay.edu/about-uf/
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 171 11 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 699 Yesterday, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 22 1,825 04-15-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: klone
  Opinions on Master's International University of Divinity isaachunter 19 6,093 04-14-2024, 07:55 AM
Last Post: isaachunter
  Fitchburg State University - MBA in Finance Spaceghost 7 492 04-06-2024, 01:04 PM
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,290 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 365 03-28-2024, 12:40 AM
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,633 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 658 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 14,279 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel