Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rio Salado prerequisites?
Hey all,
I am trying to get registered for bio and chem courses through RS. I've sent in unofficial transcripts from SL/ACE, community colleges, and my paramedic cert so they will remove holds, but they say nothing I've done qualifies for college 100 level courses. They want me to take an accuplacer at my expense of time and money.

1. How do I get cleared without doing an accuplacer?
2. Do I need to just give in and take their foundations bio and chem classes?

3. Has anyone else had to deal with this? How did you get around it?
1. Prep Phase: Hopeless, 15 credits, need a BA fast, never heard of TESU
2. TESU BALS: 121/120 (9 months)

3. RN Paramedic Bridge - Excelsior (9 months + CPNE wait)
4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP
Have you taken any math/English courses anywhere? I think that's the only way that they'll waive the accuplacer test. I remember that I had to take it but someone else (who I think had a few CC credits) did not. At least, I don't think that they had to take the accuplacer.

Rio might accept if you can CLEP college composition and college algebra. If you go through ModernStates, it would still take time but at least it would be less money (still have to pay the site fees) and you'd get college credit. But I don't know for certain that this would be the case.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • davewill
Ask them if you can sign a waiver of some kind. If YOU want to pay your hard earned money to take a class, why should they care?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Rio Salado is, unfortunately, VERY stubborn on this.

Why do they care? Because if you score low on the accuplacer, they can then require that you take remedial classes through them before you can take the ones you want. It's more income for them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • cookderosa
(03-20-2018, 04:15 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Rio Salado is, unfortunately, VERY stubborn on this.

Why do they care? Because if you score low on the accuplacer, they can then require that you take remedial classes through them before you can take the ones you want. It's more income for them.

Or you could just say that you're going to take classes somewhere else, and it's zero income for them.

Sometimes I do not get the thinking at places...
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-20-2018, 04:36 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Or you could just say that you're going to take classes somewhere else, and it's zero income for them.

It makes more sense when you consider that most of their students are subsidized. If students insist on skipping preparatory classes and then have to drop when they find it's too hard, they take spots that a student who IS qualified could have used. It would be nice if a HS diploma REALLY meant that a student was ready for college classes, but it doesn't.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • rachel83az
Also, most students don't realize that you don't HAVE to get all credits from one source. There may be some who realize that you can go CC to big university, but there are still plenty who don't realize that you can enroll for 6 different classes at 6 different universities if you want to pay the enrollment fees at each. So when Rio says you need to take a prerequisite course, who do you take it from? Rio.
What ACE courses and other courses have you sent in?
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
(03-20-2018, 04:36 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(03-20-2018, 04:15 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Rio Salado is, unfortunately, VERY stubborn on this.

Or you could just say that you're going to take classes somewhere else, and it's zero income for them.

hopefully they do it because they don't want teachers wasting time with people who can't handle the subject  
and they don't want to burden good students with dumb students when it comes to group projects
(03-20-2018, 03:19 PM)Cheeseburrito Wrote: Hey all,
I am trying to get registered for bio and chem courses through RS. I've sent in unofficial transcripts from SL/ACE, community colleges, and my paramedic cert so they will remove holds, but they say nothing I've done qualifies for college 100 level courses. They want me to take an accuplacer at my expense of time and money.

1. How do I get cleared without doing an accuplacer?
2. Do I need to just give in and take their foundations bio and chem classes?

3. Has anyone else had to deal with this? How did you get around it?

That test is going to be free at your local community college if you "apply" for admission. Extra step, a pita for sure, but that should cover you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest way to complete CS prerequisites (RA Credits)? therightstuff 18 1,788 11-01-2023, 02:13 AM
Last Post: therightstuff
  How to apply Rio Salado nutrition? SweetsugarNL 3 1,039 10-21-2019, 05:33 PM
Last Post: SweetsugarNL
  Rio Salado Community College, Ariz., raises online prices $85 to $250 credit Life Long Learning 20 3,732 10-01-2019, 09:55 PM
Last Post: darthweezy
  Creighton University PharmD prerequisites Acaidian 4 1,625 11-11-2018, 12:47 PM
Last Post: Cheeseburrito
  Rio Salado Collegelady2 5 1,187 06-18-2017, 12:55 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Rio Salado Substance Abuse Courses videogamesrock 13 2,102 11-15-2016, 07:12 AM
Last Post: Jackmove
  Rio Salado tsimmns 16 2,609 09-27-2016, 07:33 PM
Last Post: TrailRunr
  Rio Salado community college aarias1988 1 1,024 04-06-2016, 03:55 PM
  Rio Salado FON241LL — Principles of Human Nutrition Laboratory Al2010x 15 2,182 03-31-2016, 09:45 PM
Last Post: Al2010x
  Rio Salado German Course videogamesrock 9 2,208 11-17-2015, 03:41 PM