Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ivy League Free online classes
I see that the Ivy League has about 450 free online classes you can take during the coronavirus situation, does anyone know if these classes allow you to get credit for them?? Are they ACE approved?

thanks
define "Ivy League"

https://www.lexico.com/definition/ivy_league
==================
A group of long-established universities in the eastern US having high academic and social prestige. It includes Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and Columbia.
==================
are you referring to any of them ? all of them ?
They aren't for credit / ace approved.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lacussucceed's post:
  • ROYISAGIRL
(03-23-2020, 04:39 PM)bluebooger Wrote: define "Ivy League"  

==================
A group of long-established universities in the eastern US having high academic and social prestige. It includes Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and Columbia.
==================

Only 8 colleges.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_League
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(03-23-2020, 07:56 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(03-23-2020, 04:39 PM)bluebooger Wrote: define "Ivy League"  

==================
==================

Only 8 colleges.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_League
I always forget about Darthmouth. I knew there are 8 just could only name 7.
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

[-] The following 1 user Likes ROYISAGIRL's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(03-23-2020, 04:03 PM)radconjohn Wrote: I see that the Ivy League has about 450 free online classes you can take during the coronavirus situation, does anyone know if these classes allow you to get credit for them?? Are they ACE approved?

thanks

no on the ACE. Looks like it's the MOOCs on edX and Coursera is what is showing up in the searches with maybe another mooc platform out there. And just sorted for which university. It doesn't seem like a new free thing or limited to current virus stuff, but just a reminder that edX and coursera exist and have courses from instructors at those places.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

(03-23-2020, 08:56 PM)P226mem Wrote:
(03-23-2020, 04:03 PM)radconjohn Wrote: I see that the Ivy League has about 450 free online classes you can take during the coronavirus situation, does anyone know if these classes allow you to get credit for them?? Are they ACE approved?

thanks

no on the ACE.  Looks like it's the MOOCs on edX and Coursera is what is showing up in the searches with maybe another mooc platform out there.  And just sorted for which university.  It doesn't seem like a new free thing or limited to current virus stuff, but just a reminder that edX and coursera exist and have courses from instructors at those places.

I read someplace about a woman at Excelsior who PLAed a couple courses from MIT OCW. Sorry, no details. Reminds me of someone who said : "There's always one crazy chief who wants to prove IT CAN BE DONE!"
(03-23-2020, 09:12 PM)graduatesoon Wrote: I read someplace about a woman at Excelsior who PLAed a couple courses from MIT OCW. Sorry, no details. Reminds me of someone who said : "There's always one crazy chief who wants to prove IT CAN BE DONE!"

Of the people who do PLA (which isn't very many), that is not an uncommon way to prepare. That said, unless the course you're trying to get credit for is rare, you're better using that knowledge to prep for CBE exams or support courses taken at providers like Study.com. PLA's are a lot more work than they are worth IMO.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
FYI, for those wondering, I think Radconjohn is referring to this. And no, none of the courses are ACE/NCCRS approved. They're just MOOC courses many universities allow students to use for self study.

However, having said that, you can use these courses for PLA if you work in the industry and have years of experience, it can count towards credits after you make a very convincing portfolio.

See link: https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/ivy-le...7ae675869/
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • bluebooger
(03-24-2020, 05:03 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: FYI, for those wondering, I think Radconjohn is referring to this.  And no, none of the courses are ACE/NCCRS approved. They're just MOOC courses many universities allow students to use for self study.  

However, having said that, you can use these courses for PLA if you work in the industry and have years of experience, it can count towards credits after you make a very convincing portfolio.

See link: https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/ivy-le...7ae675869/

Yes, that is what I am referring to.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free CUNY 1-credit course - “Bridges to Health Careers/Emerging Trend in Healthcare” ctcarl 9 2,083 02-27-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: jch
  University of South Carolina - Free Certificates in Hospitality Management Maniac Craniac 5 1,422 02-15-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: BadSquirrelBeta
  Resource: spreadsheet of free courses from Ivy League universities NatsNerd 3 583 02-09-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: NatsNerd
  Rutgers - Free Certificate in Leadership & No-Blame Problem Solving Maniac Craniac 5 1,709 02-05-2024, 05:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Free Community Health Worker certificate at Berkeley City College staceydiane 12 2,021 02-01-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Free Certificate in Public Health Practice (w/6 course completion certs) Maniac Craniac 10 1,695 01-30-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: MFG
  HP & EdX - FREE Professional Certificate in Esports Mgmt, Game Design & Programming Maniac Craniac 11 1,118 01-22-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free Coding Certificate + Stipend TINASAM 0 496 01-14-2024, 09:05 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  ASU Sustainable Earth Business Sustainability Courses, Free Online Jonathan Whatley 3 610 12-26-2023, 04:45 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Gav 4 Free (Gavilan College) MissRN 14 4,752 09-18-2023, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Randyb100