Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SDC CLEP Practice Courses
Hi everyone,
Has anyone used SDC’s CLEP study guide and test prep courses exclusively to get ready to take the respective exams? If so, how well prepared were you for the actual exam?
I have the Instacert flash cards subscription, but I feel I grasp the material better watching the short SDC videos. I’m looking to take principles of marketing before the end of next week. I’ve been scoring in the 90’s on the SDC practice finals.

Thanks for any help.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bachinayr's post:
  • indigoshuffle
Not sure, but I'm hoping they work well. I'm using them right now to study for biology and US History I.
The best option is to use the CLEP/MS as the resources are free, if you're subscribing to Study.com and not using it for college credit, then get the cheapest subscription possible to complement the free CLEP/MS resources. Then there is always the local library with many CLEP resources available for loan.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(12-29-2018, 03:24 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: The best option is to use the CLEP/MS as the resources are free, if you're subscribing to Study.com and not using it for college credit, then get the cheapest subscription possible to complement the free CLEP/MS resources. Then there is always the local library with many CLEP resources available for loan.

Bjcheung,
I hear you on the MS tip, however, Its a bit of a chore for me to pour through all the reading material. I really prefer the video format on SDC.
The SDC material on its own will likely not be rigorous enough to enable you to excel on the CLEP tests. You always want to use a mixture of sources. For example, you might want to use the modern states material, along with the InstantCert flashcards, and SDC lessons together.

When I took them (back before modern states), I used recommended books, plus the REA, College Board, and Princeton Review study guides, plus the IC flashcards, and the Petersen's practice tests to prepare.

If you want only video lessons, you might use the SDC material along with crash course youtube videos and any khan academy lessons you can get your hands on. I'd also use the IC flashcards and make sure you're hitting 90% or better on those before taking the test.

If you use the modern states materials to study, they will pay for your CLEP test fees, so there is also that benefit.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(12-29-2018, 06:54 PM)Bachinayr Wrote:
(12-29-2018, 03:24 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: The best option is to use the CLEP/MS as the resources are free, if you're subscribing to Study.com and not using it for college credit, then get the cheapest subscription possible to complement the free CLEP/MS resources.  Then there is always the local library with many CLEP resources available for loan.

Bjcheung,
I hear you on the MS tip, however, Its a bit of a chore for me to pour through all the reading material. I really prefer the video format on SDC.

To get the voucher, you just have to answer the questions with a 70% or higher pass rate.  I personally didn't find the MS courses to be all that helpful and I for sure didn't spend any time reading their sources.  They can be a good overview at times, but don't provide a lot of depth.  I mainly used REA books or resources I found from the FreeClepPrep website.  That along with reviewing items on Quizlet were great prep.  I did use SDC for English Lit, although I did not use them exclusively or watch all the videos.  They were pretty good though as far as prep for the material goes.
BALS-Humanities from TESU - June 2019

CLEP - A&I Lit, US History 1, US History 2, West Civ 1, Intro Sociology, American Lit, Humanities, Soc. Sci & History, English Lit
Sophia - Intro to Info Tech, Art History 1, Visual Communications, Managing Conflict, Building Effective Teams
Study - Personal Finance, Comm 120, Math 97, Bus 121, Lib Sci 101, Eng 104, Nutrition 101, Eng 105, His 108, Pol. Sci 102, Earth Sci 104, His 308, Bus 313, His 102, Eng 305, His 105, His 106, His 306, Geometry 101, Bus 324, Com 102
Institutes - Insurance Ethics
TESU - Cornerstone, Music History 2 TECEP, LIB Capstone

Further Credits - Sophia - Conflict Resolution, Enviro Science, Microecon, Intro to Stats, Into to Ethics, Found. of Stats, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Macroecon, Intro to Business, Project Management, Accounting, Art History 2
I'm finding the Biology CLEP section covers quite a bit. I'll be going over the Modern States videos/tests and the REA books/tests, too, and Peterson's (and looking up anything I don't know). But I think that the SDC series covers the basics pretty well.

https://study.com/academy/course/clep-bi...ourse.html
No matter what source you've used to prep for a CLEP, you should take a Peterson's practice test to assess your readiness. This is more true for your first CLEP than others because you're really just guessing before you've actually taken one. Peterson's is $20 for 3 exams - they are online/timed taken at home. All three are different, use them once, and if you're hitting 65% or better, you're good to go. If not, keep learning.
(12-30-2018, 09:32 AM)cookderosa Wrote: No matter what source you've used to prep for a CLEP, you should take a Peterson's practice test to assess your readiness. This is more true for your first CLEP than others because you're really just guessing before you've actually taken one. Peterson's is $20 for 3 exams - they are online/timed taken at home. All three are different, use them once, and if you're hitting 65% or better, you're good to go. If not, keep learning.

Thanks! Will do! Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bachinayr's post:
  • cookderosa
(12-29-2018, 07:13 PM)Merlin Wrote: The SDC material on its own will likely not be rigorous enough to enable you to excel on the CLEP tests. You always want to use a mixture of sources. For example, you might want to use the modern states material, along with the InstantCert flashcards, and SDC lessons together.

When I took them (back before modern states), I used recommended books, plus the REA, College Board, and Princeton Review study guides, plus the IC flashcards, and the Petersen's practice tests to prepare.

If you want only video lessons, you might use the SDC material along with crash course youtube videos and any khan academy lessons you can get your hands on. I'd also use the IC flashcards and make sure you're hitting 90% or better on those before taking the test.

If you use the modern states materials to study, they will pay for your CLEP test fees, so there is also that benefit.
Merlin- is there an instacert practice exam or test site that’s linked to the flash cards? How are you getting “90% or better” from? 

Thanks

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 817 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 849 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 679 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 8 7,148 03-29-2024, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Dnightowl
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,051 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,632 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,011 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,972 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 568 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 322 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77