Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SDC Upper Level Courses
Has anyone completed up to 5 of these for the upper level requirements? Seems like most people on here knocked out most courses before courses were downgraded earlier in the year.

Reading the assignment instructions for a lot of SDC courses, they seem pretty tough. Research companies, write multiple reports/essays, etc.

I don't know how I am going to get through 5 of these courses while managing to study and pass the quizzes/final as well. Completing 2 upper level in a month seems tough at the $199 price tag. Exchange rate makes one of these SDC months approx. $253 CAD right now...

I wish there were more upper level options out there. I don't have the option of clep/dsst tests. 
Wish TESU still accepted shmoop, the price tag seems better.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
If the assignments are bothering you, don’t worry. Aim to complete two UL proctored exams within the monthly membership period. You can even submit the assignments later. Of course, the final grades for your course will be awarded only when the written assignments have been submitted.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
(10-14-2018, 10:37 AM)zzzz24 Wrote: Has anyone completed up to 5 of these for the upper level requirements? Seems like most people on here knocked out most courses before courses were downgraded earlier in the year.

Reading the assignment instructions for a lot of SDC courses, they seem pretty tough. Research companies, write multiple reports/essays, etc.

I don't know how I am going to get through 5 of these courses while managing to study and pass the quizzes/final as well. Completing 2 upper level in a month seems tough at the $199 price tag. Exchange rate makes one of these SDC months approx. $253 CAD right now...

I wish there were more upper level options out there. I don't have the option of clep/dsst tests. 
Wish TESU still accepted shmoop, the price tag seems better.

I'm taking 3 of the upper-level study.com courses now, and I've taken a couple others that have projects / written assignments. The thing about them is they typically have fewer quizzes so it ends up balancing itself out time wise. So far they've all taken about the same time as the longer lower-level courses. Other than Systems Analysis, which I'm still not sure how to complete so I've put the project on hold for the moment.

As for Shmoop, even if TESU did accept Shmoop again now that they've got the proctored option, it wouldn't matter since all the Shmoop courses are ACE recommended for lower-level credit. So TESU wouldn't accept them as upper-level anyway.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
I thought people were getting upper level credit for some shmoop courses previously? Unless those changed?

The grading rubric just seems more in-depth for SDC vs Straighterline. I am already done English Comp 2 with SL and honestly, my essays were not that good at all, yet I managed fairly high grades.

It seems the graders on SDC are more tough and by the book.
Credits:
(10-14-2018, 03:37 PM)zzzz24 Wrote: I thought people were getting upper level credit for some shmoop courses previously? Unless those changed?

The grading rubric just seems more in-depth for SDC vs Straighterline. I am already done English Comp 2 with SL and honestly, my essays were not that good at all, yet I managed fairly high grades.

It seems the graders on SDC are more tough and by the book.

Some LL courses were coming in as UL before the mandate for TESU to follow course levels more closely. At that time all the LL courses the had been evaluated as UL were downgraded. They stopped accepting Shmoop about the same time.

As for grading, it depends on the grader. Some are more strict than others. It's random who you get so it can be inconsistent. Though in general you can also assume UL courses will be graded at a higher level of scrutiny than LL.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
I am fairly computer savvy, but I think without having a formal background in it, the CIS courses might be a bit tough for me. Just looking for other options then having to take history/psych.
It's also weird to now go from MLA format at SL to APA at SDC.

I think SDC is pretty much my only option, as anywhere else they are probably going to be even more expensive. I don't have the DSST/CLEP option either.
Credits:
(10-14-2018, 10:37 AM)zzzz24 Wrote: ... Completing 2 upper level in a month seems tough at the $199 price tag. Exchange rate makes one of these SDC months approx. $253 CAD right now...

Any way you could mix one UL and one LL at a time so that the workload doesn't get as extreme? Maybe use a non-College credit membership to study the material, then switch to the college membership when ready to do the all the quizzes and exams?
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
This is the list of upper level courses for study.com which i received today from TESU. Hope this helps. Contacted Excelsior with the
same request and they were not very helpful.

Please see the list of Upper Level Study.com Courses that can apply toward your Upper Level Area of Study Requirement:

Computer Science 302: Systems Analysis & Design
Computer Science 303: Database Management
History 306: The American Civil War Era
History 308: Causes and Effects of the Vietnam War
History 311: The Holocaust & World War II
Psychology 310: Psychology of Personality
Psychology 312: History and Systems of Psychology
Criminal Justice 305: The Juvenile Justice System
Sociology 305: Sociology of Work

Once you have selected a course you would like to take from this list please e-mail our department for course approval.
(10-15-2018, 01:23 PM)davewill Wrote:
(10-14-2018, 10:37 AM)zzzz24 Wrote: ... Completing 2 upper level in a month seems tough at the $199 price tag. Exchange rate makes one of these SDC months approx. $253 CAD right now...

Any way you could mix one UL and one LL at a time so that the workload doesn't get as extreme? Maybe use a non-College credit membership to study the material, then switch to the college membership when ready to do the all the quizzes and exams?

That could be an option, but I am finished my lower level requirements now, unless I need one more GENED, still waiting for TESU to evaluate one of my courses that was sent to the dean last week.

(10-15-2018, 01:39 PM)douknowme40 Wrote: This is the list of upper level courses for study.com which i received today from TESU. Hope this helps. Contacted Excelsior with the

Please see the list of Upper Level Study.com Courses that can apply toward your Upper Level Area of Study Requirement:

Once you have selected a course you would like to take from this list please e-mail our department for course approval.

I emailed them last week and received something similar, but I didn't ask about the CIS courses. I posted this in the other thread. They never told me I need approval to take one though, as he mentioned all of these work. 

Thank you for the inquiry. See below for course equivalencies for the eligible courses you listed. BUS302, 304, 307 cannot go towards the AOS for BALS, but the ones below can.
Business 305: Leadership Communication >> MAN-376
Business 313: Organizational Communication >> COM-391
Business 323: Organizational Theory >> PSY-360
Business 324: Managerial Communication >> MAN-373
History 306: The American Civil War Era >> HIS-450
History 308: Causes and Effects of the Vietnam War >> HIS-351
History 311: The Holocaust & World War II >>HIS-354
Psychology 301: Industrial/Organizational Psychology >> PSY-401 
Psychology 310: Psychology of Personality >> PSY-352
Psychology 312: History and Systems of Psychology >> PSY-400
Criminal Justice 305: The Juvenile Justice System >> AOJ-364 
Sociology 305: Sociology of Work >> SOC-362
English 305: Advanced Technical Writing >> ENG-306
Credits:
(10-15-2018, 01:39 PM)douknowme40 Wrote: This is the list of upper level courses for study.com which i received today from TESU. Hope this helps. Contacted Excelsior with the

Do you need approval from TESU before you can take a Study.com course? I was planning to start taking study.com courses in a few weeks but I'm not an enrolled student. Do I have I have to wait until after I enroll at TESU to start taking study.com courses?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,450 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 999 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 713 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,482 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,923 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,049 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 2,094 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 599 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 340 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 718 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat