Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SL -- IT Fundamentals
SL's IT Fundamentals appears to have changed this year.  It's one of the Acrobatiq classes.  I've only started to look over SL this weekend, but the other class I'm working through is not an Acrobatiq class and I like it much better.  I'm finding this one very difficult to navigate (in terms of the interface -- ironically).

The distribution of points seems to be completely different than it was.  Jennifer's breakdown from before shows 19 (I think?) tests, and I think it was originally the typical 1000 points total for the class.  It's now 8 tests, and I just completed the first one.  It was 33 questions worth 10 points each.  Also not easy to search out answers, just FYI.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
Hm.

It was (not moodle - acrobatIQ sounds right) when I went through it when it first opened. The course wasn't really grounded in, ah, best practices or factual, subjective information from what I recall, and although I should have, I didn't do well in the course because I couldn't memorize 'their' version of things as well as I needed to.
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

I assumed it was changed because the distribution of points is different from anything I've heard about SL courses, but maybe not. The moodle setup is much more user-friendly, IMO.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

(10-01-2017, 08:26 PM)a2jc4life Wrote: SL's IT Fundamentals appears to have changed this year.  It's one of the Acrobatiq classes.  I've only started to look over SL this weekend, but the other class I'm working through is not an Acrobatiq class and I like it much better.  I'm finding this one very difficult to navigate (in terms of the interface -- ironically).

The distribution of points seems to be completely different than it was.  Jennifer's breakdown from before shows 19 (I think?) tests, and I think it was originally the typical 1000 points total for the class.  It's now 8 tests, and I just completed the first one.  It was 33 questions worth 10 points each.  Also not easy to search out answers, just FYI.

I thought that course was always Acrobatiq?  And I've not heard much good about it, it's not a popular course because of the setup.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
It might have been. And yeah, it seems to be kind of obnoxious, but it will fulfill the silly general ed requirement. (I personally think it's a little ridiculous that online degree programs even require classes about computer basics. If you can finish the degree online, you obviously have some reasonably decent computer skills. But I'm not in charge of accreditation, so there's that.)
-Rachel

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred

(10-02-2017, 08:35 PM)a2jc4life Wrote: It might have been.  And yeah, it seems to be kind of obnoxious, but it will fulfill the silly general ed requirement.  (I personally think it's a little ridiculous that online degree programs even require classes about computer basics.  If you can finish the degree online, you obviously have some reasonably decent computer skills.  But I'm not in charge of accreditation, so there's that.)

I agree - it's just silly at this point.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
It's the points distribution that apparently changed, so it's more like the other SL classes. According to Jennifer's most recent list (from February), IT Fundamentals is 19 exams totaling 700 points (prior to the final). It's now just 7.
-Rachel

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred

Here's a link to the new syllabus which is for sure different than the one I posted a while back. No one in our family has tried this one yet, I'll be eager to hear about your experiences! https://s3.amazonaws.com/StraighterLine/...ls_ACQ.pdf
Unfortunately, I don't have anything to compare it to, in terms of the IT class. The Acrobatiq text is, IMO, hard to navigate, a bit sluggish, and easier to search than a Moodle book that's images (has to be searched with the in-book search feature) but harder to search than a Moodle book that can be searched with the web browser's "find" feature. But I assume, if this class was Acrobatiq before, that none of that is new.
-Rachel

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred

(10-02-2017, 02:20 PM)High_Order1 Wrote: Hm.

It was (not moodle - acrobatIQ sounds right) when I went through it when it first opened. The course wasn't really grounded in, ah, best practices or factual, subjective information from what I recall, and although I should have, I didn't do well in the course because I couldn't memorize 'their' version of things as well as I needed to.

Yeah, I've got about 15 years in the IT industry and I just squeaked by (the acrobatiq course) with a 78, which is the lowest score I have on any SL course.
[-] The following 1 user Likes theonlyski's post:
  • a2jc4life

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fundamentals of Project Management? sambam0812 1 596 10-02-2020, 04:53 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  SL IT Fundamentals mariorun 2 726 06-04-2019, 09:22 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Fundamentals of Cybersecurity DSST RRMIKE 5 2,621 10-13-2017, 02:07 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does anyone know if WGU accepts IT Fundamentals from Straighterline? Kirsten 3 1,449 10-06-2017, 11:21 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SL Computer Courses: Information Tech Fundamentals and Intro to Programming Comp C++ hoffdeb 3 1,009 04-05-2017, 08:50 AM
Last Post: hoffdeb