Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SL -- open/closed book?
I've seen folks in a number of threads talking about SL's tests/quizzes being open book, and then others saying they seem to have fewer open-book courses than they used to.  How are y'all figuring out which courses do or don't have open-book tests?
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
(09-07-2017, 08:12 PM)a2jc4life Wrote: I've seen folks in a number of threads talking about SL's tests/quizzes being open book, and then others saying they seem to have fewer open-book courses than they used to.  How are y'all figuring out which courses do or don't have open-book tests?

Follow the  link 

http://www.straighterline.com/how-it-wor...g-details/
Further to that, you might want to look up the syllabus to see which ones are more suitable for you. I only took 1 for fun, 1 as a "redo".
Some course finals are worth 20%, 25%, 30% or higher. If you get very close to 700 points or surpass it, the final won't matter.
You can just pass the course before you reach that final exam, so. I chose all the "easier" ones and took a total of 32 SL courses.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(09-07-2017, 08:17 PM)mvk Wrote:
(09-07-2017, 08:12 PM)a2jc4life Wrote: I've seen folks in a number of threads talking about SL's tests/quizzes being open book, and then others saying they seem to have fewer open-book courses than they used to.  How are y'all figuring out which courses do or don't have open-book tests?

Follow the  link 

Thank you!  Is it safe to assume that if a final is open book, the quizzes probably are, too?
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

(09-07-2017, 08:36 PM)a2jc4life Wrote:
(09-07-2017, 08:17 PM)mvk Wrote:

Follow the  link 

Thank you!  Is it safe to assume that if a final is open book, the quizzes probably are, too?

Yes, it is.
The quizzes are all open-book, and none are proctored.

It's only the final that's proctored, so it's the only one where they would be able to tell you it's closed-book.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
You can see the distribution of points for every class here: http://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthre...=dissected

A typical class is worth 1000 points and requires 700 to pass. A break down may look something like this:
open book Quiz 1 --> 125 points
open book Quiz 2 --> 125 points
open book Quiz 3 --> 125 points
open book Quiz 4 --> 125 points
open book Midterm --> 250 points
(BEFORE FINAL EXAM: 750 possible)

open or closed book Final Exam --> 250 points

As you can see, it's usually possible to pass the course before you've ever taken the final. Since you only need 700 to pass (and the program is pass/fail) the only reason to pursue a grade higher than 700 (70%) is for personal satisfaction. If a college accepts SL, you'll have your courses sent to your ACE transcript. The courses listed there don't show grades, only credit - so the ONLY person who knows your SL grade is you.
I'm not sure I won't need to send my transcript straight from SL to my school. I'm looking at Ashford, and they have some kind of special pricing deal if you complete at least four courses with SL to transfer to them. I don't know whether seeing them as SL on an ACE transcript is sufficient or if I'll have to send them directly. (Just speaking to the "no one will see your grade" aspect.)

Just to be 100% clear, are "exams" (not finals/midterms) and "quizzes" interchangeable as far as the information above? Of the classes I need, three list "exams" in the syllabus, one lists "tests," and one doesn't designate what type of assessments it uses. Only one says "quizzes." I know some places these are distinct concepts, and other places they're just different names for the same thing.
-Rachel

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred

(09-08-2017, 09:04 AM)a2jc4life Wrote: I'm not sure I won't need to send my transcript straight from SL to my school. I'm looking at Ashford, and they have some kind of special pricing deal if you complete at least four courses with SL to transfer to them. I don't know whether seeing them as SL on an ACE transcript is sufficient or if I'll have to send them directly. (Just speaking to the "no one will see your grade" aspect.)

Just to be 100% clear, are "exams" (not finals/midterms) and "quizzes" interchangeable as far as the information above? Of the classes I need, three list "exams" in the syllabus, one lists "tests," and one doesn't designate what type of assessments it uses. Only one says "quizzes." I know some places these are distinct concepts, and other places they're just different names for the same thing.

Straighterline partnership scholarships do not require you to send your credits directly, only that you take a certain number of courses with them (NOTE: even if you opt to send them directly, PLEASE also put them on your ACE transcript. If you don't, you may never be able to prove you've completed them should you leave Ashford- a new college will NOT take SL off an Ashford transcript) When you are ready, you go into your SL account and fill out the scholarship application with SL. In the meantime, all your courses should be sent to ACE. If I'm wrong, and your specific school requires directly sent scores, then you'll want to find out now what the cut scores are and if they transcribe them as credit or a grade. As far as has ever been discussed here, the only school ever to award grades for SL has been Charter Oak, so that would be BIG NEWS and worth posting about. There are lots of times people WANT graded credit.

Every SL course has a maximum of 1 proctored Final exam - everything else can be called quiz/test/midterm, but it will be un-proctored and open book. And to confirm a comment above, you'll have more than enough time to take these tests and check your notes/books. I made my sons look up every answer on every quiz (I'll throw in that they are not super fast at doing that unless it is word for word) and they had more than enough time on all their tests.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 324 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SL Business Statistics - is the final open-book? AW84 5 622 02-21-2023, 12:49 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Saylor Direct Credit Exam Windows Closed as of 4/30? mikejuparo 9 1,596 05-06-2022, 12:03 AM
Last Post: mikejuparo
  Sophia subscriptions closed before midnight? wow 2 1,834 12-24-2021, 07:23 AM
Last Post: wow
  Two tabs/windows open in Sophia RizP 3 1,395 07-27-2020, 10:14 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  OnlineDegree.com Is Finally Open ISKBizz15 182 45,099 07-03-2020, 12:14 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
Big Grin Open Book Exam on Study.com FIN 301? meganelaine092 5 2,101 06-06-2020, 12:39 AM
Last Post: tjguitar85
  Straighterline Open Book Finals cookiecandle 14 9,966 02-23-2020, 06:11 PM
Last Post: rckola911
  Are some SL final exams open book?? cecilgambe7 5 1,286 09-02-2019, 02:26 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  It is absolutely necessary to read whole text book for SL course?? cecilgambe7 9 1,826 08-31-2019, 08:27 AM
Last Post: cecilgambe7