Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SL's - Introduction to Nutrition Course
Hello Forum,

Looking for a bit of quick feedback on this course from SL. I still have about 7 days left on my SL membership and I am wondering how quick the average person can get through this course? Is it all open book? How many questions are in all those 40 point quizzes?

I am asking because my first plan was take the two Comp courses from Study.com making me take 4 more courses from Study.com ($340) and that's it. But with already having another week left on SL I could pick up this course for $59 and save $11 and possibly even time. So instead of paying $340 I'd be paying $329 and possibly saving a Study.com time crunch with the 4 courses in one month.

And for good measure this course would work for Natural Word correct?
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Don't know about this one, but my son finished Environmental Science in 5 days and actually really enjoyed it - not sure if that would fulfill your requirement. My younger son is taking the same course via Study and it's much, much harder for some reason.
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
My 10th and 12th graders did Nutrition earlier this month. If you have any nutrition sense, this is a slam dunk. I'm going to confess to having my kids skip some of the content, because I taught nutrition to them last year, and I can do recap/summary for them in 2 minutes what SL takes 60 minutes to teach. They pulled this course off in about 10 days- doing 2 or 3 quizzes per day (there are a lot of quizzes) but I'm going to say that you can go MUCH faster. They allocate about an hour per school day to their Straighterline course. You could probably do it in 3 days.

EDIT to add: I can't remember if the final was open book or not, but they did it closed book because I didn't have the book- they used one of my old nutrition books and I didn't know if the proctor would fuss, so they just didn't use a text.
How many quizzes where on each topic test. It says 40 points each. If i sign up tomorrow I want to right away schedule a proctor session for three days out and take it. Not sure if its worth risking the $11 savings on to end up falling a bit short.

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
Synicaal Wrote:How many quizzes where on each topic test. It says 40 points each. If i sign up tomorrow I want to right away schedule a proctor session for three days out and take it. Not sure if its worth risking the $11 savings on to end up falling a bit short.

That should be sufficient in time, 3 days at the fastest and take an extra day for good measure... just in case.
You should schedule your proctor exam exactly as you mentioned, 3 days...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Agree with the feedback on Nutrition. If I am reading the remaining classes needed correctly - I would try and knock out a greater return value course like:

Managerial Accounting
Accounting II
Intro To Communication

Dependant on your current knowledge of the material, all doable in that timeframe. Intro To Communication would be the hardest due to the video review process. You could do all 3 videos in one day and focus the rest of the time on course quizzes.

Not easy but put sleep off the board and anything is possible Smile
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
RANSOMSOUL Wrote:Agree with the feedback on Nutrition. If I am reading the remaining classes needed correctly - I would try and knock out a greater return value course like:

Managerial Accounting
Accounting II
Intro To Communication

Dependant on your current knowledge of the material, all doable in that timeframe. Intro To Communication would be the hardest due to the video review process. You could do all 3 videos in one day and focus the rest of the time on course quizzes.

Not easy but put sleep off the board and anything is possible Smile

Not sure what you mean here. I am currently taking Managerial Accounting and Intermediate Accounting II at a CC. I already did SL's "Managerial Accounting" course which I labeled as Cost Accounting in my signature. Intro to Comm I will be taking from Study.com because its cheaper. Also English Comp II is cheaper from study.com. Either way I have decided to just finish up with Study.com. I am actually going to do all the quizzes for both Computer courses and then take both test on the same day. I feel like I should be able to knock out both courses rather quick with my prior computer knowledge.

Synicaal Wrote:How many quizzes where on each topic test. It says 40 points each. If i sign up tomorrow I want to right away schedule a proctor session for three days out and take it. Not sure if its worth risking the $11 savings on to end up falling a bit short.

Topic 1 Quiz 40
2 Topic 2 Quiz 40
3 Topic 3 Quiz 40
4 Topic 4 Quiz 40
5 Topic 5 Quiz 40
6 Topic 6 Quiz 40
7 Topic 7 Quiz 40
8 Topic 8 Quiz 40
8 Graded Midterm Exam 150
9 Topic 9 Quiz 40
10 Topic 10 Quiz 40
11 Topic 11 Quiz 40
12 Topic 12 Quiz 40
13 Topic 13 Quiz 40
14 Topic 14 Quiz 40
15 Topic 15 Quiz 40
16 Graded Final Exam 250

You just do several quizzes per day- you don't have to do them in order, and they're short.
Key reason I mentioned 'If' I'm reading your list correctly. I wasn't sure if the B&M were in play or just part of a future schedule. Rarely do you see forum members picking B&M when online more time and cost value options are available.

Good luck knocking out Nutrition.
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
RANSOMSOUL Wrote:Key reason I mentioned 'If' I'm reading your list correctly. I wasn't sure if the B&M were in play or just part of a future schedule. Rarely do you see forum members picking B&M when online more time and cost value options are available.

Good luck knocking out Nutrition.

Yeah I know I am doing it a bit "non traditional" for this forum. I have my reasons, the majority of the classes at BM is because I started my path just before finding this forum so did the whole 3 summer classes thing. Then enrolled in a degree program for fall spring and used PELL and TAP. It was mostly a whole free semester so why not take the free classes. (Pretty much cost me books and that's it). Also I really wanted to target some traditional style credits in Accounting because I currently work for the State of New York and I'm working on becoming promotion eligible and they will look at Accounting Class GPA, if I didn't have one I'm not sure that would look to good. The other reason I don't feel like the ACE style credits for accounting was teaching me anything different.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 323 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia-Introduction to Python Programming Juliocrx 2 1,773 11-27-2022, 10:38 PM
Last Post: Juliocrx
  Introduction to Javascript gams007 2 675 03-11-2021, 10:52 AM
Last Post: gams007
  Straighterline Business Statistics vs Introduction to statistics All Seas 13 3,592 05-19-2020, 09:47 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  SOPHIA's Introduction to Information Technology to TESU Msybrown 1 1,237 04-15-2020, 04:07 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Saylor's PHYS102: Introduction to Electromagnetism Question Nightmoves5 6 1,776 07-07-2019, 05:20 PM
Last Post: timblackwell
  StraighterLine Nutrition course AngelofArcane 4 2,284 07-03-2019, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Dannielleball26
  Introduction to Communication at SL edbrain 6 1,475 02-04-2019, 03:06 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  AS in nutrition fastest route Jesse_b3 2 1,137 01-06-2019, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Jesse_b3
  ECE 176: Health, Safety, and Nutrition: Birth-Age 8 YankeeDoodle 0 599 01-03-2019, 03:24 PM
Last Post: YankeeDoodle