Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
SNHU - Anyone?
Had a family member get their degree through them and they seemed pretty happy with the school.

It seems they take a lot of the same credits as tesu does so any benefit there for someone starting from scratch?
[-] The following 1 user Likes All Seas's post:
  • ajwilli2
They only take up to 90cr of transfer, and at $320/cr x 30cr (minimum), you're looking at a minimum of $9600 for a degree there, plus however much the 90cr of transfer will cost you. If you guesstimate that they're $100/course (my high guesstimate for the Big 3 as well), then comparing apples-to-apples, a degree there will cost $12,600. The big 3 will take 114-117cr, and a BALS or BSBA at any of them will run you $7000 or less, from scratch.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
They only accept 5 classes worth of credit by examination. Found that out the hard way and lost a lot of time and money on that school. I didn’t have a good experience and neither did one of my employees. The only good experience I had at that school was winning the undergraduate fiction prize the year I attended. Be prepared to have the enrollment counselor say whatever they need to get you in the door. advisors and other staff were no help. This was in 2012, but my employee had a similar experience with broken promises and issues with transfer credits this year, so I don’t think things have changed all that much.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
(09-09-2018, 01:20 AM)Tedium Wrote: They only accept 5 classes worth of credit by examination.

FYI - This has changed SIGNIFICANTLY over the last five years and the school has greatly improved their alternative credit policy. I've used CLEP and DSST to earn 72 credits with SNHU. I began last July and am scheduled to graduate in March.

OP - here's my honest experience. Full disclosure, my company is paying for a large chunk of my educational expenses, so I've only had limited (though positive) experience with their financial department. I don't think I can provide a reliable opinion on that front. But here's my experience with the rest...

SNHU is definitely not the cheapest option when it comes to earning a degree online. But they've invested a tremendous amount of resources into their online program, and it shows. Before I first started, someone told me that SNHU is like the "Amazon of Online Education." I think that's a fair analogy, and it's not necessarily a bad thing. With a few minor exceptions, my experience at the school has been like a well-oiled machine. My advisor is constantly in touch, and if I ever have an issue, I hear back in less than 24 hours. There's well-working, well-staffed, and automated systems for accessing almost everything, from a really impressive digital library, to course registration, transcripts, IT, registrar ticketing systems, free software, etc. So far, things have run like clockwork. For someone like me, the customer service is worth the added expense. But that's something every individual has to determine for themselves.

Like other online schools, the course quality can be hit or miss, and you get out what you put into it. I've only had one instructor so far that seemed like they were "phoning it in". The rest have been really engaging and personal. Required discussion posts are, unsurprisingly, a drag. There is a LOT of writing involved -- it's the primary way they determine readiness, particularly for business/communications classes. I typically commit 10-15 hours per week, per course. That said, I've come away from every class feeling like I learned something, which says a lot considering I returned to school in my 30s.

As the school continues to grow, they're definitely facing a perception issue. Their national ads have increased visibility, but because this type of advertising is traditionally used by for-profit institutions, a lot of folks automatically lump SNHU in with them. But this is something that many online schools grapple with -- it's not unique to SNHU. My hope is that as online education becomes more mainstream, perceptions will soften.

TDLR: If you're looking for the absolute fastest and most economical way to earn your degree, SNHU probably isn't it. If customer service, resources, staffing, and networking are important to you, SNHU is worth considering. I can only speak for my own experience, and I've had a tremendous one so far.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Not sure if it'll help, but I detailed my CLEP experience at SNHU here: https://clepstep.com
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Pursuing BA in Communications at SNHU (Started July 2017)
☆CLEP☆ A&I Literature 68 | College Composition w Essay 73 | American Government 68 | US History I 72 | Social Science & History 61 | Information Systems 76 | Principles of Marketing 69 | Principles of Management 67 | Psychology 61 | Sociology 61 | Humanities 57 | Educational Psychology 70 | Biology 60 | Natural Science 72 | ☆DSST☆ Environmental Science 457 | Human Cultural Geography 466 | Principles of Supervision 435 | Introduction to Business 457 | Principles of Public Speaking 450/PASS
(09-09-2018, 04:08 PM)greencouch Wrote: I typically commit 10-15 hours per week, per course.

For courses of what length? I think they have an option for quick classes?

(09-09-2018, 04:46 PM)Ideas Wrote:
(09-09-2018, 04:08 PM)greencouch Wrote: I typically commit 10-15 hours per week, per course.

For courses of what length? I think they have an option for quick classes?

Undergrad online courses at SNHU are 8 weeks long. It's great because even if you land in a course that isn't your 'bag', it doesn't last long. It's short, but intensive.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Pursuing BA in Communications at SNHU (Started July 2017)
☆CLEP☆ A&I Literature 68 | College Composition w Essay 73 | American Government 68 | US History I 72 | Social Science & History 61 | Information Systems 76 | Principles of Marketing 69 | Principles of Management 67 | Psychology 61 | Sociology 61 | Humanities 57 | Educational Psychology 70 | Biology 60 | Natural Science 72 | ☆DSST☆ Environmental Science 457 | Human Cultural Geography 466 | Principles of Supervision 435 | Introduction to Business 457 | Principles of Public Speaking 450/PASS
(09-09-2018, 05:20 PM)greencouch Wrote: Undergrad online courses at SNHU are 8 weeks long. It's great because even if you land in a course that isn't your 'bag', it doesn't last long. It's short, but intensive.

Yeah I think 8 weeks is good. I like the idea of 5 weeks even more Smile

Do you know how grad courses are, in terms of workload, discussion boards, etc?

For SNHU, if you're going for an undergraduate degree, see if your workplace has tuition reimbursement.
If you can join their College for America option and you can practically get your degree free of charge.
Your workplace and SNHU work together in getting you a cheap as possible Associates or Bachelors!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • greencouch
Hmm, it has 90 credit transfer policy and it costs about 9,600 $ for 30 credits. I may apply for Computer Science degree. Anyone did it before? Do you suggest this university? I checked google reviews and don't sure about them. Also you have any idea if they accept study.com credits. Also we can transfer some nanodegrees and some certificates.
SNHU is the second largest online university right after WGU. They're a pretty good school. If you haven't read the thread below, it has all the answers to your questions - read the last post. In short, yes - they accept ACE (Study.com), nanodegrees, and certs. Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ree?page=2
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Considering SNHU BSCS, TESU BSIT, or any other BS in tech over UMPI BLS MIS cvieira 24 1,344 03-26-2024, 04:18 AM
Last Post: cvieira
  Using Guild for CS at SNHU Yoloangie40 17 1,723 09-17-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  SNHU vs UMPI? Duneranger 10 1,145 09-07-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  SNHU new gen ed requirements jdubley 63 6,243 08-20-2023, 07:22 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  My experience at SNHU as a BS Finance major neilsf 12 1,913 08-18-2023, 11:25 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SNHU Transfer New Credits after Enrollment - Can or Can't? berlinerd 3 1,101 08-17-2023, 11:54 AM
Big Grin Degree Plan for SNHU BSCS AND/OR TESU BACS Request suzycupcake 10 1,329 06-24-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  SNHU Free Elective Suggestion chipNdale2077 4 2,391 10-27-2022, 12:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Max Sophia credits for SNHU eviliphone63 9 3,543 10-02-2022, 11:43 AM
  UMGC or SNHU Computer Science program. coryjunior19 8 4,481 09-24-2022, 02:16 PM
Last Post: tuckerarabi786