Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saylor Proctor U, how does it work?
Wow, so much has changed for Saylor. When I asked last February, I was denied in-Proctor testing for anything ACE but the NCCRS courses were a go. They've since added so many courses, they're a very good option but the speed to finish their courses is lacking. The materials are OK, not really the style of learning that I would like, but for those even more frugal than I, they're awesome.

In fact, I had a plan specifically to use Saylor over Straighterline and Study.com, but ultimately didn't choose them because some courses were brutal (the course materials or resources weren't working). I guess when they get better and better, they'll soon be at a level similar to Straighterline/Study.com, I would choose them then (for a second Bachelors). Thanks for the update!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • rvm
BJ, I would be interested to hear more details about Saylor's course materials & resources and why you didn't have a positive experience. Did you take non-proctored exams prior to taking the proctored exams? How are they different? Did you use any other study resources? Maybe this would help the OP, as well. TIA!
Saylor courses suffer because all of the course materials are gleaned from free online sources. This causes problems with consistency (different terminology for example) repetitiveness (each author starts with some review), and with broken links. Not all courses suffer, I took sociology, for example, and because it was based on a single online textbook, I found it to be quite good. Of course, Saylor only gives one credit for that one, so I used it as study for the CLEP.

Environmental Ethics, on the other hand, was highly annoying with hours of online video lectures and links that had instructions like, "after clicking the link choose xx, read two sections, then move on to chapter yy and read up to zzz." Plus three or four links that were simply broken. This was another one that I used for study (TECEP) as Saylor did not offer it for credit at that time.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Thank you Dave! I noticed the similar issues with the Computer Science I course. I didn't give it that much thought since I had experience with Java before beginning the course and since Saylor acquires its courses from different sources and of course, different instructors, I just assumed Comp Sci I was a poorly constructed course. I had hoped it was only that course which was inadequate and that the others weren't impacted as negatively.
I completely agree with you rvm about the internet and ProcturU! I took my last ProcturU test (through WGU) a week ago and I am so grateful to be done with them! (at least for now=). My computer has internet less than 3mbps regularly and it is none existent on rainy days. This has lead to some very anxious moments! I have taken 12 tests through them and each time I had to be transferred from technician to technician to technician and usually it took anywhere from 30-45 minutes just to get started -not exaggerating! But the Pollyanna side of it was I did learn not to freak out and forget everything I knew and to settle down and be patient. =)
CLEP:College Comp. w/essay, A & I Lit. w/essay, College Algebra, US History 1 & 2, Biology, Human Growth & Development   DSST: Foundations of Edu.  TEEX: Cyber Security 101 & 301 Sophia: Developing Effective Teams The Institutes: Ethics & CPCU Prof. Code.

Straighterline: Intro to Religion, Intro to Com., Western Civ. 1& 2, American Gov, PreCalculus, Intro to Bio Lab

Study.com: Personal Finance, Edu. Psychology, Classroom Management, Special Edu. History & Law, Geology, Civil War & Reconstruction, History of the Vietnam War

2018 WGU BA Mathematics Education (5-9 licensure)

Current Work: VIPKID ESL Teacher and Substitute Teacher

[-] The following 1 user Likes teacher2's post:
  • rvm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 414 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  How does Sophia.org work? What's the not graded part and graded part? whiverem 5 547 10-05-2023, 11:44 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Send Saylor credit to credly vetvso 4 1,561 09-09-2023, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Saylor BIO101 Notes Request axelblaze77 5 572 08-24-2023, 12:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Degrees available with Saylor Academy and OnlineDegree cvalor 21 3,380 07-03-2023, 02:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Saylor Vent Lima845 4 881 06-21-2023, 10:56 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Saylor Academy is very slow Leo Wu 2 1,182 06-11-2023, 08:10 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SDC proctor tips? Kones 9 1,068 03-12-2023, 02:46 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  Study resources for Saylor courses Personherebb9 0 752 12-05-2022, 06:49 AM
Last Post: Personherebb9
  Easiest ACE accredited courses on Saylor cfoster 5 1,402 11-15-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: dfrecore