Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saylor vs. Sophia
Someone that has taken classes on both platforms can you compare and contrast them for me? I've only used Sophia right now but I'm eyeing a few classes from Saylor and just would like to know how similar they are to sophia and how different they are before I jump in and regret it, lol.

Thanks Smile
Upcoming Degrees:
Master of Arts in Social Science (conc. Sociology) - Georgia Southern University - April 2025
Up Next (Decision MADE!)
Ph.D in Criminal Justice (Intelligence) - UNG
Finished Degrees and Certificates: 
AAS Board of Governors - Pierpont Community & Technical College  8/2021
AS Business Administration (cum laude) -  Franklin University 9/2022
Grant Writing Certificate- Fort Hays State University - 11/2022
BS Social Science (cum laude) - Franklin University 12/2022

They are very, VERY different things. Some Saylor courses have a reputation for being incomplete, incorrect, or otherwise difficult to study for. At only $5 a pop right now, it would probably be worth it to attempt one or two classes. But I wouldn't do anything that can be covered by Sophia. Sophia will be quicker and easier.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Specifically I'm looking at their BUS300 Operations Management and BUS301 Human Resource Management classes. I will definitely be taking all of the Sophia classes, only interested in Saylor for classes that Sophia doesn't have. I like Sophia's format and style.

What is that $5 a pop thing? What am I missing??
Upcoming Degrees:
Master of Arts in Social Science (conc. Sociology) - Georgia Southern University - April 2025
Up Next (Decision MADE!)

(03-02-2021, 06:39 PM)TINASAM Wrote: Specifically I'm looking at their BUS300 Operations Management and BUS301 Human Resource Management classes. I will definitely be taking all of the Sophia classes, only interested in Saylor for classes that Sophia doesn't have. I like Sophia's format and style.

What is that $5 a pop thing? What am I missing??
They are beta testing a new proctor that costs 5 dollars. The courses themselves are free.

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

fan-fcking-tastic! Thank you for letting me know.
Upcoming Degrees:
Up Next (Decision MADE!)

Information available here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...tead-of-25
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • TINASAM
Saylor is nothing like Sophia.

Good thing is you can jump right into the Saylor classes with no financial commitment. I've completed something like 5 or 6 courses. I got the non-credit certificates. I attempted to get credit for Principles of Management, but scored a 67% on the proctored final. That sort of bummed me out, because I did actually study a bit. I've taken a bunch of Sophia's and I think my average final grade is about 90%.

The pool of exam questions that Saylor chooses from is, I think, very deep. Seems like for the Management course I took 3 not-for-credit final exams and there wasn't a whole lot of overlap between them. I combined the 3 into 1 mega master exam and studied those questions. I still ended up with a 67 on the proctored.

Since, apparently, proctored exams are now $5 a pop, I might go back and take Direct Credit Exams for a few courses when the time is right.
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
[-] The following 2 users Like StoicJ's post:
  • BitWiseGuy, TINASAM
yes I just realized that some of the classes I wanted are not for credit just certificate so I suppose those are essentially "worthless" to what I wanted them for. But there are still a handful that I'd like to get (2-3 UL Business courses).
Upcoming Degrees:
Up Next (Decision MADE!)

Don't know if you are aware of it or not, but you can see on the following link which Saylors are/were ACE-recommended: 

https://www.acenet.edu/National-Guide/Pa...65f38bf0e1

I think all but 1 of the Saylor courses I got certs for also have credit available. I found the Critical Thinking to be fairly easy, as well as Geography. $50 for 6 elective credits would be a nice deal, but $10 is outstanding.

There are probably a couple of other fairly easy ones in there that would be good for cheap elective credit. As for your trying OM & HRM, I say sign up, skim through the material really quick (like 20 minutes), then take a not-for-credit exam. I can't recall if the system requires you to pass quizzes along the way before you can take a final, but I think you ought to poke around and see.
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
[-] The following 2 users Like StoicJ's post:
  • BitWiseGuy, TINASAM
(03-02-2021, 06:39 PM)TINASAM Wrote: Specifically I'm looking at their BUS300 Operations Management and BUS301 Human Resource Management classes. I will definitely be taking all of the Sophia classes, only interested in Saylor for classes that Sophia doesn't have. I like Sophia's format and style.

Ops Management is ACE-recommended, and UL to boot, so probably worth trying.

HRM is not ACE-recommended at all, so I would skip that- you can find it too many other places for fairly cheap.

If you're taking Project Management and/or Prin of Finance through Sophia, it might be worth taking the Saylor exams for $5, since they're UL (Sophia's are LL).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • TINASAM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,230 Yesterday, 06:22 PM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 373 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 276 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,790 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 300 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,863 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,391 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 603 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,958 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 560 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP