Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science requirement?
I've been trying to get admissions to tell me the exact requirement for science for like a week and they keep dodging my question.
They said I need a "biology focused course" but some people on here says their needs to be a lab. I don't want to apply yet and have my transcripts looked over because I have a lot of Sophia classes to go and I don't want my options closed just because I need a bio classs.
I have a 4 credit plant science class with a lab as well as a nature science class with a lab from a university. I know it's not gauranteed because nobody here works at UMPI, but does it sound like that would be enough?
Any of these would work for their requirement: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid333844 Since they will accept a geology class, I would say that it's likely that they'll accept at least one of your courses for the requirement.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
The name of the class really doesn't matter, it's the content of the course that does. So, if you say you took a Plant or Nature science course, that sounds like a Bio/Environmental Science/Geology class to me and should work, but you never know until you get the final answer. It may be best to list the exact name of the course, course number and which school it's from, we can look at the course in greater detail.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • studyspo.dreaming
(05-17-2021, 09:07 AM)studyspo.dreaming Wrote: I've been trying to get admissions to tell me the exact requirement for science for like a week and they keep dodging my question.
They said I need a "biology focused course" but some people on here says their needs to be a lab. I don't want to apply yet and have my transcripts looked over because I have a lot of Sophia classes to go and I don't want my options closed just because I need a bio classs.
I have a 4 credit plant science class with a lab as well as a nature science class with a lab from a university. I know it's not gauranteed because nobody here works at UMPI, but does it sound like that would be enough?

I would apply with what you have if you want to know. Admissions doesn't determine what courses transfer into to UMPI. Only the Registrar determines this and they won't tell you anything until you've applied and they receive all of your transcripts. Your options won't be closed once you apply. That's not how UMPI works. You can still take classes outside of UMPI once you're an enrolled, active student. You just need permission and they're easy going with it. If you're not enrolled, you don't need permission. You can take classes without any trouble. 

Not sure how a plant science would come in since they don't have any listed on the GEC. Define nature science?

There's actually 3 science requirements. Environmental Science on Sophia will fill one requirement and Biology101L Intro to Biology with Lab on Study.com will fill the lab science requirement and the other one. 

Biology101L fills 3C and 3E
En Sci fills 3D

http://catalog.umpi.edu/content.php?catoid=3&navoid=118
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • studyspo.dreaming
(05-17-2021, 10:57 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(05-17-2021, 09:07 AM)studyspo.dreaming Wrote: I've been trying to get admissions to tell me the exact requirement for science for like a week and they keep dodging my question.

I would apply with what you have if you want to know. Admissions doesn't determine what courses transfer into to UMPI. Only the Registrar determines this and they won't tell you anything until you've applied and they receive all of your transcripts. Your options won't be closed once you apply. That's not how UMPI works. You can still take classes outside of UMPI once you're an enrolled, active student. You just need permission and they're easy going with it. If you're not enrolled, you don't need permission. You can take classes without any trouble. 

Not sure how a plant science would come in since they don't have any listed on the GEC. Define nature science?

There's actually 3 science requirements. Environmental Science on Sophia will fill one requirement and Biology101L Intro to Biology with Lab on Study.com will fill the lab science requirement and the other one. 

En Sci fills 3D

I have an AP environmental science score of 4, a plant science class with a lab, and a forestry & field science class that also had a lab. I can take environmental science on Sophia if I have to, but I think that my AP class should cover that requirement.

The classes were at UW Stevens Point. Natural Resources 250: Intro. to Fisheries, Forestry & Wildlife (4 credits) and Biology 130: Plant Biology (5 credits), and both had a lab component.

Thanks for letting me know that they’re lenient with allowing you to take classes outside of UMPI! I knew you could ask permission but assumed they were really strict about it.

En Sci fills 3D

I have an AP environmental science score of 4, a plant science, and a forestry & field science class that also had a lab element. I can take environmental science on Sophia if I have to, but I think that my AP class should cover that requirement.

The classes were Nat. Res. 250: Intro. to Fisheries, Forestry & Wildlife (4 credits) and Biology 130: Plant Biology (5 credits), and both had a lab component.
It's not that you have to take Bio w/Lab - it's that you have to take a Life science course of some kind, and a Physical science course of some kind, and one of the 2 has to have a lab. This is very common at many, many schools.

I think that because the courses you've taken aren't "the usual" that you should just apply and see what they say. Nobody on here has those particular courses to bring in, so can't really help you much.

If there are any other courses you want to complete, it's probably best to complete them and then apply (UMPI accepts and enrolls at the same time, and then you have to get future courses approved - one minor issue that is annoying but not a deal-breaker in my opinion).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

(05-17-2021, 09:07 AM)studyspo.dreaming Wrote: I have an AP environmental science score of 4, a plant science, and a forestry & field science class that also had a lab element. I can take environmental science on Sophia if I have to, but I think that my AP class should cover that requirement.

The classes were Nat. Res. 250: Intro. to Fisheries, Forestry & Wildlife (4 credits) and Biology 130: Plant Biology (5 credits), and both had a lab component.

If you have an AP exam for environmental science then you don't need it from Sophia. Given how unusual your science lab courses are, I would apply tom UMPI and see what they say about them. You can always take the biology class from Sophia once your transcripts are processed if you need the course. Don't stress about this. The GEC list only shows courses UMPI offers. I transferred 2 of my 3 sciences courses from previous college courses. One of the classes wasn't on UMPI's list because they don't offer it. My third one came from Sophia. Go ahead and apply so you know about these courses. The application is free. On the application select the furtherest out start date you can apply for. You can always change it once you're accepted also. I am curious to see how these transfer into UMPI as they have an ag program and environmental science program with a variety of minors.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • studyspo.dreaming
(05-17-2021, 12:02 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(05-17-2021, 09:07 AM)studyspo.dreaming Wrote: I have an AP environmental science score of 4, a plant science, and a forestry & field science class that also had a lab element. I can take environmental science on Sophia if I have to, but I think that my AP class should cover that requirement.

If you have an AP exam for environmental science then you don't need it from Sophia. Given how unusual your science lab courses are, I would apply tom UMPI and see what they say about them. You can always take the biology class from Sophia once your transcripts are processed if you need the course. Don't stress about this. The GEC list only shows courses UMPI offers. I transferred 2 of my 3 sciences courses from previous college courses. One of the classes wasn't on UMPI's list because they don't offer it. My third one came from Sophia. Go ahead and apply so you know about these courses. The application is free. On the application select the furtherest out start date you can apply for. You can always change it once you're accepted also. I am curious to see how these transfer into UMPI as they have an ag program and environmental science program with a variety of minors.

I contacted admissions and they said that I would likely still need to take a biology class, which seemed absurd to me because plants and fish and trees are all very much part of biology. I pushed them on it a bit so they referred me to Jessica.

When I emailed her, I attached PDFs of the class syllabi that I found online and was told that between the two classes, I would have my science requirements covered, though I wasn’t told exactly what classes they might transfer as. 

And they got back to me on the same day! Overall, quite a relief.
[-] The following 2 users Like studyspo.dreaming's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with UMPI admissions requirement Throwmeaway1590 2 218 03-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  First post, political science class guidance needed Daniel14 6 199 03-23-2024, 01:11 PM
Last Post: wildebeest
  UMPI Degree Help - Bachelor of Applied Science hicham78h 13 498 02-20-2024, 04:23 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Do you need both Art History I & II to fulfill 2E requirement? Michelle779 7 523 01-19-2024, 12:50 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI Cybersecurity/ Computer Science RyanNeedsAnITdegree 1 445 12-29-2023, 04:57 PM
  BABA MAT 140 Requirement and Learning Objective 3A, 3B - Covered by Sophia Calculus? FM1 13 1,065 12-14-2023, 04:56 PM
Last Post: ishady
  BAS - Bachelor of Applied Science Completed! Thank You and lessons learned! nyjosh 5 693 11-22-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: lynnii2
  Political Science Minor Ebroady23 7 528 09-14-2023, 09:23 AM
Last Post: MichaelDoesMarketing
  UMPI Computer Science and Cybersecurity Minors Jonathan Whatley 22 2,268 09-07-2023, 02:20 PM
  2D Requirement Sara143 12 1,107 08-24-2023, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Infinite-Telephone52