Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help for Daughter w/ Choosing School/Degree/Degree Plan
My daughter would like to get a degree in business as inexpensively as possible. Any help with choosing a school/specific degree and degree planning would be greatly appreciated. She finds UMPI and WGU appealing because her siblings have experience with those schools, but is pretty flexible.

Age: 19--will be 20 by the time she starts back to school.
What kind of degree do you want?: Business, esp. finance but flexible. She would like to go on to an MBA.
Current Regional Accredited Credits: 64
Budget: as low as possible. She lives at home but will have to fund school costs herself.
Commitments: Currently works as a substitute teacher. She likes teaching, but does not want to go into that because she also likes a lot of other things that pay better.
Dedicated time to study: 15-20 hours per week
Timeline: Not sure what is realistic. Ideally 1 year to complete degree
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: The Bank of Mom and Dad provide a scholarship system: we provide a loan for the first term that is either forgiven with class completion with satisfactory grades, or must be repaid with unsatisfactory grades. Upon class completion with satisfactory grades or repayment for a class with bad grades we will provide a new loan with the same terms.

Utah Valley University 64 total credits (All grades are C or better, mostly As & Bs, but I don't have specifics at the moment): 
BIO 1010 General Biology, 3
BIO 1015 General Biology Lab, 1
HIST 1700 American History I, 3
ART 1020 Basic Drawing, 3
ASTRON 1040 Elementary Astronomy, 3
MATH 1050 College Algebra, 4
FIN 1060 Personal Finance, 3
INFO 2420 Web Application Design, 3
MECH 1010 Fundamentals of Mechatronics, 3
PHYS 1010 Elementary Physics, 3
POLS 1100 American National Government, 3
COMMS 1020 Public Speaking, 2
COMMS 1025 Public Speaking Lab, 1
SLSS 1000 University Student Success, 3
ENGL 1010 Intro to Academic Writing, 3
EXSCI 1017 Fitness for Life, 2
MGMT 2240 Business Calculus, 3
NUTR 1020 Fundamentals of Human Nutrition, 3
SLSS 101R Student Success Topics, 3
ENGL 2010 Intermediate Writing, 3
MGMT 2340 Business Statistics, 3
PHIL 205G Ethics and Values, 3
THEAT 1223 Theatrical Makeup 1, 3

UVU also gave her 3 credits for her ACT math score.

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: none

Any certifications or military experience? none
@MaMichelle, Great addendum and template! UMPI seems to be your best bet when she turns 20 years old! You just need to work on the Sophia.org classes that transfer over the max of 90+ credits, you may also want to work on the Coursera $1/first month and do as many ACE credits as possible before you start the Sophia.org or CLEP/MS options, as you want to build a trifecta of certs, degree, experience. I suggest the UMPI BABA PM & IS, she can ladder that up to the MAOL afterwards if she wants that over the MBA, she can decide later to either options when the time comes...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • MaMichelle
Do you know whether UMPI will count her associate's degree from Utah Valley University (regionally accredited state school) as filling all GE requirements?
Block transfers like that are rare, almost unheard of. UMPI (and 90+% of other schools) will evaluate each class in the Associate degree on its own merit. It looks like most requirements are met, but I don't see a foreign language. Spanish or French from Sophia would be easiest unless she's fluent in something else.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
That's right, your daughter would have most of the requirements fulfilled, she can continue completing more college credits if they are cheaper than the ACE options we recommend, otherwise, use Sophia.org and complete the remaining credits for a max transfer of 90 credits. Review the WIKI for requirements to general education and the degree of choice, say the BABA PM&IS or M&L https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:UMPI
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 5 105 3 hours ago
Last Post: smartfion
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 596 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,231 04-18-2024, 05:21 AM
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,944 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 217 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 211 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,176 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 4 525 04-16-2024, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Mems88
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,309 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
  Going back to school at 29 for CS with only freshman year of college completed RejuvenationOclock 8 648 04-10-2024, 11:40 PM