Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Self Directed Courses at TESU
So needing about 20 units inc the Capstone & SOS-110 for a Lib Studies BA @ TESU I'm seriously thinking about doing a flat rate tuition to avoid the waiver fee. However I was hoping to just pound out all of those units(minus the Cap & SOS-110) with TECEPs, CLEPs, & DSSTs. 

The question is can I plow through self directed and EPack courses in a similar speed? In particular is there much writing involved with self directed courses or is it a bunch of quizzes and proctored exams? The latter would be about as convenient as a testing through I imagine. Writing papers would slow the process down though.

The costs would be pretty similar either way but if I secure the 16 units at TESU I can leisurely follow-up with another BA in something else which matches my career a little better.
TESU doesn't have "self directed" courses.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
other than TECEPs, TESU doesn't have self-directed courses that I know of.

You're gonna have to do it the slow way with daily discussions and assignments. Some courses, like the UL Jane Austen lit one, are pretty easy going with very little writing. Others are several written assignments a week. It just depends.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

ePack courses are basically like TECEPs, from what I gather, so you can do them at your own pace. If by self-directed you mean guided study, they have deadlines just like a normal course, with the only difference being no discussion forums (which means you can work ahead on most things, if you so choose)
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
Weird, they have an entry on it that does say it only includes one course. https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/a...ed-courses

But the Course Search on Walking Stick shows a few more in some basic subjects like American History- I've attached an example.

Attached Files
.png   Self Directed.png (Size: 67.14 KB / Downloads: 13)
Self directed courses are a new element or option for TESU. Their first course was the TES-100 Cornerstone that they no longer offer. Basically, it should be similar to the e-pack as you have full autonomy of doing your course within the 12 week period. The epack is a prep for a final exam.

The self directed is a full course where you complete it autonomously. If you're self sufficient and like to do thing your own way and at your own speed... it's a good option, especially if you were home-schooled or gone through a distributed learning program...

Link: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/taking-courses
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • akr680
well you learn something every day
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Wow, just looked - there are 45 different courses available via Self Directed for the October Term. I'm anxious to find out more details on these, as they could be a lifesaver for people looking to fit 16 credits into a term to get flat-rate tuition and no residency waiver!
Completed:

Up Next:

[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • TwinMom
(09-09-2019, 03:55 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Wow, just looked - there are 45 different courses available via Self Directed for the October Term. I'm anxious to find out more details on these, as they could be a lifesaver for people looking to fit 16 credits into a term to get flat-rate tuition and no residency waiver!

Where can we find these?
Daughter 1: Completed: TESU BALS (CLEP, ALEKS, CollegePlus)
Daughter 2: Working on: TESU BA-LSSS
CLEP: 51 credits (Eng Comp Modular, Intro Soc, History of US I & II, Human Growth and Dev, Intro to Educational Psych, Social Sci and History, Western Civ I, Analyzing and Inter Lit, Prin of Marketing, Prin of Mgmt, French I & II)
Upcoming CLEPs: Colllege Math, Biology, Prin of Macroeconomics, Spanish I, Amer Govt
Planning to take/do: SDC, DSST
Me: UPenn BA Sociology (Many years ago, '89, and much debt at the time), Looking into debt-free distance MBA or other Master's
(11-26-2019, 04:11 PM)MrsBulletPoints Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 03:55 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Wow, just looked - there are 45 different courses available via Self Directed for the October Term. I'm anxious to find out more details on these, as they could be a lifesaver for people looking to fit 16 credits into a term to get flat-rate tuition and no residency waiver!

Where can we find these?
After making that post, I tried to register for one and it gave me a message along the lines of them being "reserved", so I'm not sure what the case is with them
Completed:

Up Next:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 512 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 450 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 473 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 15 2,287 04-04-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Kones
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 258 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,226 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 231 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 372 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  UC Berkeley Extension courses can transfer ItsNeverTheLionsYear 2 304 03-18-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) Courses LevelUP 6 421 03-18-2024, 09:40 AM
Last Post: rachel83az