Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Selling house
We are selling our house and moving out of state. We have both spent half of our lives in this state, but it is now time to go. Still deciding what Masters degree to do or to just go Tech.
BA Liberal Arts in 2014 from Excelsior College. (Took 25 tests)
Certificate in Writing in 2018 from University of Washington.
Current: MA in Humanities from American Public University.
Have 180 hour TEFL/TESOL Advanced Cert from TEFL HERO.
Member of World Genius Directory. IQ 148 SD 15/IQ 151 SD 16.
Washington state? Where are you heading? I would grab a Masters in something that interests you. Review what courses you liked during your undergrad years or what your concentration, minor or major was in... if you truly don't know what Masters to go for, don't sweat it, something interesting may come your way, you can study that or as you mentioned, go into Technology if that suits you.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • dewisant
We made a list of the nine states that have no state income tax and added Idaho to the list. We live in a state that has no state income tax, but that looks like it will be ending soon. Idaho and Wyoming are our best choices so far.
Make sure you compare whole CoL and not just income tax. I think a lot of people tend to forget to factor in the cost of things like groceries and utilities when trying to decide where to move. If everything costs 2x as much, you're not going to save any money by moving to avoid income tax.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ss20ts
https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-...x-by-state
don't forget states that don't tax social security benefits

> I think a lot of people tend to forget to factor in the cost of things like groceries and utilities when trying to decide where to move.

and property taxes
and needing to have a car to get around (also means paying for gas) vs everything in walking distance
you don't need a car in New York City so you save that way, but then you pay for everything else LOL
[-] The following 1 user Likes bluebooger's post:
  • rachel83az
(03-14-2021, 12:57 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Make sure you compare whole CoL and not just income tax. I think a lot of people tend to forget to factor in the cost of things like groceries and utilities when trying to decide where to move. If everything costs 2x as much, you're not going to save any money by moving to avoid income tax.

Very true! The cost of insurance is insane in some states like Florida. Sure there's no income tax, but your home owner's insurance is thousands of dollars a year because of the hurricanes. I've seen some people determine that Florida wasn't nearly as inexpensive once that insurance was factored in. Finding healthcare can also be a HUGE issue in many communities. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • rachel83az
Florida is actually is actually ranked around 25 for property taxes.
Really not bad considering the cost of housing is much cheaper than out west and the north east. Plus no state income tax. 1000 people a day are moving to Florida because of this and other reasons. (Weather, politics ,ect ). Now if you live in a flood zone or right on the ocean you’ll have to cough up hurricane and wind insurance, but you can be 15-30 minutes from the beach and not have to do that.
(03-14-2021, 12:36 PM)dewisant Wrote: We made a list of the nine states that have no state income tax and added Idaho to the list. We live in a state that has no state income tax, but that looks like it will be ending soon. Idaho and Wyoming are our best choices so far.

Those would be my top two as well. Looked at some lots from just south of Sandpoint, and up to the Canadian border. Decided south of the USA was a better move for us, but rural Idaho sure was nice  Smile
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
[-] The following 1 user Likes StoicJ's post:
  • dewisant
Also, think about the amount of public land. Dispersed camping is free in many state and national forests, which reduces the need to spend money on hotel rooms for weekends away. This can save hundreds of dollars every year and is a very good reason not to move to Texas.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  House Hacking: How Financially Savvy People Live in Expensive Markets LevelUP 4 826 03-05-2022, 02:38 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Who does the decorating in your house? Lindagerr 2 759 08-08-2015, 01:03 PM
Last Post: LaterBloomer
  Selling a house, need advice Lindagerr 13 2,109 06-29-2015, 07:57 AM
Last Post: LaterBloomer
  White House report includes WGU rebel100 0 777 09-16-2014, 10:33 AM
Last Post: rebel100
  Please tell me your house is as messy as mine is! OpenRoot 6 1,096 01-16-2013, 09:43 PM
Last Post: marianne202
  Robin Dive Bombing House & Carpenter Bees LaterBloomer 2 964 04-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Last Post: alleycat
  Anyone Selling Clep Books? HAPEESH 3 1,029 02-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Last Post: JanusthePhoenix
  Any Eagles Fans in the house jlugo1010 1 861 12-14-2009, 05:01 PM
Last Post: nj593