Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Serious (possible) issue with proctorU
I finally had my first proctor exam: Saylor.org Principles of Microeconomy, i finish with 82% grade and everything is ok with exam, no problem with it, you can see my review of the course in the link:
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ut?page=17

The issue:
To being able to using proctorU i get in conctact with the proctor person, i can see her in my computer, an asian girl, possible from Philipines (based on her face).
She ask me to take control of my mouse to being able to set the configuration for the exam, i agree and she start to move the mouse cursor on screen to made whole configuration and put password in the saylor website.

Everything was OK, i finish the exam, it takes me about 20 minutes to get everything in conditions to start the exam and about 1 hour 40 minutes to finish it. 

One hour after i finish the exam, i get in my mobile a spam notification from google calendar: "You have won a iPhone X"

After checking my google calendar, someone add this spam event on calendar repeatedly from 24 august to 30 august, but i get the notification today, so the one who add it (person or malware), add it today.

It is pretty strange for me that few hours after i (for first time) allow someone to have control of my computer somehow, someone add this spam notification to my gmail/calendar accout, i can check the gmail "Activity on this account" and i was the only one who conect to my account; i dont use google calendar; but the only one who can put event on it is the user. My gmail account was always conected on my google chrome browser sesion (but not open in any tag) as usual, even during the exam.

It is posible that proctorU proctor put this spam on my gmail/calendar account??

Attached Files
.jpg   Upload.jpg (Size: 64.16 KB / Downloads: 8)
More likely it's plain old spam sent as calendar invites. You can change your calendar settings so that invites don't get added to your calendar unless you accept them.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 3 users Like davewill's post:
  • jsd, Life_One, MrBossmanJr
(08-26-2019, 08:19 PM)davewill Wrote: More likely it's plain old spam sent as calendar invites. You can change your calendar settings so that invites don't get added to your calendar unless you accept them.

By searching in internet... this kind of spam could be sended... so i have no 100% certainty that this is related to ProctorU... but the spam, even when is selected from 24 august up to 30 august, was inserted today, because i dont get any previous notification on 24 and 25... even they add two notification today, one on morning and other about 9:30pm (local time) i dont get any one in the morning, just the one at 21.30hs
It might not have been ProctorU. It could have been something else that happened beforehand and you might not have caught it. There have been known issues with ProctorU (disabling anti-virus) that I have heard about in the past though, so I don't really know.
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrBossmanJr's post:
  • cecilgambe7
I don't think there's anything you need to worry about with StraighterLine or ProctorU. I would just recommend do the usual malwarebytes scan and window security scan on your system. Just to be on the safe side, I recommend you to do an antivirus scan and a malware scan. I do both on a regular basis and I've never had any issues with SL or ProctorU.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • cecilgambe7
(08-27-2019, 12:25 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I don't think there's anything you need to worry about with StraighterLine or ProctorU.  I would just recommend do the usual malwarebytes scan and window security scan on your system.  Just to be on the safe side, I recommend you to do an antivirus scan and a malware scan.  I do both on a regular basis and I've never had any issues with SL or ProctorU.

I will now, maybe as MrBossmanJr comments this is related to antivirus turned off to being able to use proctorU software...
I doubt ProctorU had anything to do with the ad. If I'm not mistaken, their software not only records your activities but also records theirs. For a company like ProctorU, I think it's logical to assume their business hinges on professional integrity/conduct since they have contracts with large, name-brand universities.
Doctor of Medicine candidate (MD) - anticipated complete '24
[-] The following 1 user Likes MSK9's post:
  • cecilgambe7
(08-27-2019, 07:29 AM)cecilgambe7 Wrote:
(08-27-2019, 12:25 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I don't think there's anything you need to worry about with StraighterLine or ProctorU.  I would just recommend do the usual malwarebytes scan and window security scan on your system.  Just to be on the safe side, I recommend you to do an antivirus scan and a malware scan.  I do both on a regular basis and I've never had any issues with SL or ProctorU.

I will now, maybe as MrBossmanJr comments this is related to antivirus turned off to being able to use proctorU software...

I am not saying they turned off your anti-virus. I am saying there has been issues in the past with ProctorU monitors telling people to turn it off or other events. Most people haven't had an issue with them. I think you need to check what websites you have visited in the past. Did you give anything or anyone access to your Google account?
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
This is an extremely common type of spam.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/23/20829...ow-to-stop
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • MrBossmanJr
Proctor U had nothing to do with that notification. I received the same one earlier today. Had no idea that Google Calendar could be spammed.
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tesu-acct-student's post:
  • cecilgambe7

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ProctorU moving to new 'Guardian Browser' system jch 4 2,219 05-17-2023, 04:04 PM
Last Post: jch
  ProctorU to Become Meazure Learning eriehiker 6 1,156 10-04-2021, 04:28 PM
Last Post: ctcarl
  ProctorU TwinMom 15 2,229 03-22-2021, 01:23 PM
Last Post: TwinMom
  ProctorU data breach jch 8 1,848 08-30-2020, 06:32 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  ProctorU Premium Fee Issues ctcarl 2 1,351 05-04-2020, 05:00 PM
Last Post: ctcarl
  ProctorU natshar 3 958 04-20-2020, 02:19 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Shocked ProctorU issues? mariorun 6 1,476 10-17-2019, 07:27 AM
Last Post: BrighterFuture88
  Question about RPNow vs ProctorU Imbanewbie 15 3,774 08-25-2019, 09:18 PM
Last Post: cecilgambe7
Question ProctorU - what happens if your internet disconnects during an exam? Kelly Green 4 10,305 09-10-2018, 08:14 AM
Last Post: zzzz24
  ProctorU ndelco 7 2,078 05-17-2017, 06:37 PM
Last Post: bghill