Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shmoop BALS degree
Hey,

Does anyone have a spreadsheet of courses to fulfill a BALS TESU degree from shmoop.

Courses I've taken through shmoop:
Literature in media
Woman's literature
Modernist literature
Shakespeare's plays
Modern European history
US history I
US history II
Pyschology 101
Holocaust literature

What other courses should I take to fulfill the BALS degree requirement
You need 5 UL courses, these are the ones that work (you got them all):
Holocaust Literature (ENG-301)
Literature in the Media (LIT-430)
Modernist Literature (LIT-399)
Shakespeare's Plays (LIT-320)
Women's Literature (LIT-323)

Any of the 7 math courses should work (PreAlgebra doesn't count as college-level). The 3 science courses. The 3 history courses. Comparative Govt or American Govt (or both, but 1 is required). Film Studies, Intro to Drama, Intro to Poetry. World Geography (required). Human Sexuality or Psych. And then any other of the Lit/Engl courses.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Wow.... So from the sound of it I can take most of my degree via Shmoop through TESU? With a BALS.

I need to make a degree plan and find TESU's Shmoop equivalents! Smile
(09-05-2017, 04:27 PM)kalyway Wrote: Wow.... So from the sound of it I can take most of my degree via Shmoop through TESU? With a BALS.

I need to make a degree plan and find TESU's Shmoop equivalents! Smile

TESU allows up to 90 credits from a single ACE source towards a Bachelors.  So the most credits you could transfer from Shmoop would be 90 credits.  I think most of the courses should work for BALS.  Some of the math courses may not transfer as they might be considered developmental.
TESC AAS CJ, December 2015
Working on TESU BA CJ/PSY March 2018

TECEP: Marriage and Family, Abnormal Psy, Intro to Soc, Psy of Women, Public Relations, Computer Concepts and Applications, Liberal Arts Math
ECE: Cultural Diversity, Juvenile Delinquency, Workplace Communications, Business Information Systems
DSST: Criminal Justice, Principles of Supervision, Substance Abuse
PF: Principles of Loss Prevention, White Collar Crime, Criminal Law
Propero: Victimology, Criminology, Intro to Homeland Security, Juvenile Justice, Criminal Justice Ethics
The Institutes: Ethics Course
AP: American History
FHSU: Justice in the Information Age
NOCTI Business Solutions: Protective Services, Security and Protective Services
Schmoop: Drugs in Lit
TESU allows up to 90 credits from a single source, ACE or not.  So you can't bring in more than 90cr from a CC, or a 4-yr college either.

Pre-Algebra I & II are considered developmental, so would not come in as a college-level course.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-05-2017, 06:56 PM)dfrecore Wrote: TESU allows up to 90 credits from a single source, ACE or not.  So you can't bring in more than 90cr from a CC, or a 4-yr college either.

Pre-Algebra I & II are considered developmental, so would not come in as a college-level course.

TESU will accept up to 80 credits from CC and up to 117 credits from a 4 yr college.

http://www.tesu.edu/admissions/Transfer-Credit.cfm
TESC AAS CJ, December 2015
Working on TESU BA CJ/PSY March 2018

TECEP: Marriage and Family, Abnormal Psy, Intro to Soc, Psy of Women, Public Relations, Computer Concepts and Applications, Liberal Arts Math
ECE: Cultural Diversity, Juvenile Delinquency, Workplace Communications, Business Information Systems
DSST: Criminal Justice, Principles of Supervision, Substance Abuse
PF: Principles of Loss Prevention, White Collar Crime, Criminal Law
Propero: Victimology, Criminology, Intro to Homeland Security, Juvenile Justice, Criminal Justice Ethics
The Institutes: Ethics Course
AP: American History
FHSU: Justice in the Information Age
NOCTI Business Solutions: Protective Services, Security and Protective Services
Schmoop: Drugs in Lit
(09-06-2017, 03:49 PM)swalke321 Wrote:
(09-05-2017, 06:56 PM)dfrecore Wrote: TESU allows up to 90 credits from a single source, ACE or not.  So you can't bring in more than 90cr from a CC, or a 4-yr college either.

TESU will accept up to 80 credits from CC and up to 117 credits from a 4 yr college.

http://www.tesu.edu/admissions/Transfer-Credit.cfm

Good to know!  I had forgotten that it was only 80cr from a CC, and did not know that they would take 117cr from a 4-yr school.  Although if you had 117cr from a school, why would you not just finish off that last course and get your degree there?  Seems kind of strange...
(09-06-2017, 06:30 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Good to know!  I had forgotten that it was only 80cr from a CC, and did not know that they would take 117cr from a 4-yr school.  Although if you had 117cr from a school, why would you not just finish off that last course and get your degree there?  Seems kind of strange...

Sometimes people have mismatched credits from switching majors such that they would need a significant number of courses to finish a degree at their original school despite having a large number of credits. As you know, a lot of TESU degrees are very forgiving of random credits.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(09-06-2017, 06:47 PM)davewill Wrote:
(09-06-2017, 06:30 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Good to know!  I had forgotten that it was only 80cr from a CC, and did not know that they would take 117cr from a 4-yr school.  Although if you had 117cr from a school, why would you not just finish off that last course and get your degree there?  Seems kind of strange...

Sometimes people have mismatched credits from switching majors such that they would need a significant number of courses to finish a degree at their original school despite having a large number of credits. As you know, a lot of TESU degrees are very forgiving of random credits.

Doh!!!  I actually just helped a friend who changed her major 3x in college, and has 130cr.  Trying to figure out the best degree, using as many credits as possible, was tricky (EC seemed to be the best for her situation).

And, she only has 3 courses to take to finish her degree at the original school, but they don't offer many online courses, and it's 4 hours away.  So she really CAN'T finish her degree there at all.
quick update: 70 credits total two months into my TESU journey. Currently pursuing a BALS humanities degree. Can anyone point me in the right direction with future classes to take. I can't find a good conversion chart that applies to the TESU humanities degree. Looking for the most time effective classes to take that I can knock out easily. Shmoop has been amazing. I can usually fly through 1 or 2 courses per day. Willing to try study.com or SL.

Shmoop: (39)
World geogrpahy
Intro to poetry
Film Studies
Intro to Drama
Literature in Media
Woman's Literature
Modernist Literature
Shakespeares plays
Modern European History
US history I
Us history II
psychology 101
Holocaust liter

Aleks: (12cr)
College algebra
Intermediate algebra
Pre Calc
Stats

(3 free credits)
--2 credit ethics (American Institute), 1 credit effective teams (sophia)

CC credits (16cr)
A&P 1
Sociology 101
Comp I
Comp 11
Intro to Communications

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  StraighterLine - Degree after 50! bjcheung77 4 1,408 04-03-2022, 08:58 AM
Last Post: NC Coach
  Transfer Credits to Excelsior BALS rrenzo8519 9 1,530 11-18-2021, 03:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TEEX courses already applied to degree Seagull 6 1,166 03-31-2021, 10:44 AM
Last Post: P226mem
  college degree estherkay 12 1,960 03-18-2021, 03:15 PM
Last Post: estherkay
  Which Sophia Courses don't fit a BALS SweetsugarNL 5 924 03-03-2021, 12:03 PM
Last Post: SweetsugarNL
  Foreigner: any way to get a degree online - no CLEP DSST tomokaicho 21 2,568 01-22-2021, 01:29 PM
Last Post: monchevy
  Acclaim just added all my Shmoop courses jsh1138 6 1,479 01-19-2021, 12:52 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Quickest and easiest UL courses for TESU BALS Seagull 12 2,708 01-12-2021, 03:07 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Degree from Sophia Courses Alone? McManus 8 3,931 12-11-2020, 03:35 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU BALS with no concentration Lacedonia4 19 2,696 10-14-2020, 09:57 AM
Last Post: tororo1861